- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lucy finished up her decorations and returns to the bedroom to get some sleep...

Lucy had not seen Tara present in the hallway, casting a little bit of magic to help her not ruin the cake, though there was a thought in the back of her mind about it. The whole incident with the icing was so odd that Lucy just didn't know how to explain it. Time had slowed down, right? Either that, or she had felt as if it slowed down when she was saving the cake from getting ruined. As more time passed by, the more confusing that event had seemed. Her thoughts were being clouded, partially from the fact that it was late and she was getting tired. As she picked up a few streamers, she let out a yawn, moving away from the table.

After having gotten the step-stool from near the table, she set it up on the left side of the doorway that bridged the bedroom hallway and the kitchen. This was going to be one of the main places for this party, so she needed some nice decorations above the 'entrance' of the place. Getting on top of the ladder, she began to tape the end of the red and white streamers on one side of the doorway. She was standing in the air, right in the middle of the doorway. As soon as one side went up, she reached over to the other side, fastening the decorations in place. The red was in front, while the white was slightly under and behind it. Lucy got down from the stool and walked into the hallway to see how she'd done. “Hmm...not bad!” she said, hands on her hips.

Lucy didn't notice Tara's little head peeking around from the doorframe of the bedroom. She knew she shouldn't be watching her big girlfriend work, but she figured she'd just take one more, small peek to watch her doing all of this. She was smiling, softly speaking to herself as she watched Lucy go off and then went back to the bed, herself. “She does so much for me. I wish I could just stay up and help her with all of this. Unfortunately, I can't let her know I've seen her. She probably wants to do this all on her own. I should let her.” She put herself back down on the pillow and lay on her side, thinking about Lucy and what she was doing for her.

Lucy was hard at work, still, getting from place to place, setting up streamers around all of the walls. She wanted to make sure she could get all of this done for Tara, and before too long of a wait. She yawned as she finished up the final border of the kitchen, fatigue starting to crawl up her body. “Oh, good! Streamers are done. Now, just have to do the banner and a few more things before I can be finished and take a nice, little nap with my Tara.” she patted her chest with her palm, going back to the table for the large banner. This was the biggest decoration of the entire thing. This had to be across the very center of the room, just above where she'd have Tara sitting during this party.

The only way she would be able to get this up there without it falling was to let it dangle off one side and then string it up after she moved the stepping stool. Following her idea, she grabbed the left end of the banner and set up her stool. Walking up, holding the hefty banner in her hands, she attached the one end with several layers of tape and tacs. As she got down from the stool, she let the other part of the banner fall, to see if the whole thing was just going to come off. The material came down and hit the floor, making a squeak-like noise from the end that was attached. She waited to see if it would fall and, thankfully, it didn't.

After moving the stool and setting up the other end of the banner, Lucy felt safe enough to start putting away her decorations. She yawned, again, as she put the stool away and set the cake up, next to the table seat, where Tara always sat. She was still getting tired, and decided that with all of the decorations up, it was time to return to her little sweetie and get as much sleep as she could before the big day would begin. She turned and her feet hit the floor as she walked away from the brightly-decorated kitchen.

Lucy was working her way back to the bedroom, hoping that not too much time had passed between leaving at midnight and setting up all of the decorations. She knew that a night without sleep would be pretty bad for her, especially on her little sweetie's special birthday. She couldn't imagine what it would be like if Tara woke up to find all of the birthday decorations, but no Lucy to congratulate or spend her birthday with. As she walked into the room, she looked at the clock and let out a sigh of relief. With the moon's light shining on it, she realized that it was only 1:54 a.m. She'd spent a good amount of time with all of this decorating, but not too long.

She sat down on the bed and began to pull the covers up to get back in bed, sighing as she did so. “Well, at least I have plenty of time to sleep now” she whispered to herself. Her speaking outloud almost seemed to be too loud, though. Her head immediately turned and a feeling of nervousness came over her, a tiny yawn coming from the other side of the bed. On top of that pillow was a stirring Tara, rubbing her eyes and looking towards Lucy, letting out another tiny yawn. She sat up, her robes loose on her, looking at Lucy with a confused look on her face.

“Mmm...Lucy...what are you doing up? Is something the matter?” Tara tried to make her words sound as sleepy as she could. Truth be told, she hadn't slept at all. Ever since she came back to the bedroom, she'd just be lying there, thinking about her. She wanted to help her, so she thought that the least she could do was stay awake, in case Lucy screamed or got hurt while she was setting up everything she was doing. She couldn't let Lucy know that, though. Not until after the party, at least. She just looked up, concerned about her.

Lucy immediately started to feel guilty, thinking that she'd woken Tara up from her sleeping. She gently wrapped her fingers around her and lifted her into the air. She brought her close to her face, her larger-than-life lips grazing over Lucy's body, pressing into her, like big cushions. She felt every last detail of Tara's face as she pushed in and gave her a long, emotional kiss. Bringing Tara back, she smiled and started to lay back. “I'm sorry, sweetie. It's nothing. Just go back to sleep, okay?” Bringing Tara down and setting her against her neck again, she patted her back. “I just had to get up for a minute. Sorry for waking you.”

Tara leaned into Lucy, smiling and getting comfortable again. She knew what Lucy was doing, but that kiss had been a wonderful thing to happen from her curiosity. She kissed against Lucy's neck and hugged her. “I love you, Lucy. Good night.” Lucy returned the gesture as they both got situated and fell fast asleep, awaiting the next day and what it held for them...