- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lucy starts to decorate the cake, nearly ruining everything when she accidentally sends a giant glob of icing straight for the top of the cake...

The small sounds of crickets slowly flowed through the house, making apparent the utter silence that was taking over the place. In the bedroom, Tara was still sound asleep, gripping on the pillow she'd been placed on. She was off, in dream land, completely unaware that Lucy was up and elsewhere, setting things up for a party made specifically for her. She was just enjoying her daily amount of sleep, as she always did, expecting to wake up on Lucy's neck, like every morning. Little did she know what was going to await her during the following day. She thought the day would be special, but she had no idea just how special.

Off in the kitchen, Lucy was carefully spreading icing across the surface of the cake they'd made. She moved the long, icing knife from side to side, ensuring that any and all wrinkles and blemishes in the layer of icing were smoothed out. She hummed to herself, enjoying every moment of it. Her hand moved smoothly, spreading the icing evenly, and working out those blemishes. “Gotta make a perfect cake for my little sweetie” she spoke to herself, moving the knife down to the edges, making sure the icing wasn't sticking out anywhere.

The cake was the most important part of this party, to Lucy, as far as decorations go. All of the streamers and whatnot would already be perfect, since they were already made. This cake, however, was her own design. It was something that she was making, herself, using her own heart and commitment to Tara. She had made it, for the most part, and wanted it to be perfect for Tara. It wasn't all she'd be giving to her at this party. She had a gift for her, which was equally from her heart, but she wanted the cake to be perfect, especially since Tara loved cooking with her so much.

Lucy soon placed the long knife into a water-filled sink, so it could soak and she could clean it later. The cake was halfway finished, a near-perfect layer of icing spread across it. Picking up the nozzled paper with the crimson icing within, she smiled and re-approached the cake. “Alright. Now, for the rest of the decorations. I've got to write down the normal stuff, and then maybe I'll draw something on it for her. Okay...careful now, Lucy. Here we go...” She pulled the nozzle down towards the top-left corner of the cake and began to carefully make curved, cursive lines, starting to spell out words

Her hand was steady and slow, ensuring that she didn't screw up anything. Lucy's writing wasn't the best in the world, but she was trying her best to make it look nice for the cake. Outside of schooling, she had never really had to use her handwriting for anything. Her mother did all of the working, and now she'd had enough money in her mother's retirement that she wouldn't have to go and get a job. The job her mother had gotten recently had been that good. Still, she worked hard, trying to make this writing perfect.

Her left hand was tightly pressed down on the table as her other hand went to work. After a few minutes, she had managed to get through three words. “Happy Birthday, Tara” Somehow, she'd managed to get out a semi-nice wording. There were a few incorrect tails on some of the letters, but overall, she thought it looked pretty decent. Lucy smiled as she looked towards it, and held her hands together. “There! The words are perfect! They're...oh, no!” She hadn't realized that she was still holding the nozzled icing when she put her hands together. Her other hand had squeezed into the paper and a huge stream of icing fell out of it, heading downward.

This was a bad situation, a really bad situation. She could see that giant glob of icing, as it fell. It almost looked like the world was in slow motion, except for Lucy. She wasn't sure what she was going to do, but the whole situation felt odd. She stopped and looked. The icing was, literally, falling at an immensely slow speed. It was only moving downward about an inch every 5-10 seconds. Taking this opportunity, and now worrying about what was going on with the icing, she quickly pushed the cake out of the icing's path and gathered it up in her hand. After she had gotten finished, she felt the icing in her hand, almost as if it were still moving and pushing down on her palm.

“W-what happened? Was that...was that real?” She still wasn't sure she had really seen what she thought she saw. It was like time slowed now, as if she were a part of the Matrix or something of the sort. Now that the crisis had been averted, the cake saved, she had some time to start to think about all of this. The situation had happened so fast that she didn't know what happened. One moment, she thought she was about to accidentally ruin her girlfriend's cake, and the next, fate had intervened, magically giving her a chance to save it.

“Almost like...magic...” she said to herself, looking to the ceiling. The situation was magical, almost too perfect to be a coincidence. She started to think on it, but shook her head. “No. I don't have time to think about this. I have to keep going and get things ready for this big “date” with Tara.” She giggled as she called this party a 'date', as she had told Tara it would be. Tossing the icing far away from the cake, she pulled the cake back and took a look at it . It wasn't the fanciest in the world, but it still looked nice. Most importantly, though, she'd made it, herself.

Lucy was at work, once again, moving towards the other decorations that were lined on the table. Out in the hall, hovered a robe-covered little sorceress, taking a glowing hand back out into the hallway. She smiled widely, as she hovered about the hall, keeping out of sight. “My darling is working so hard for me. I wish I could help her, but I should stay hidden...I should let her do this, herself.” With the end of the statement, she began to hover back towards the bedroom, one crisis having been averted without completely cluing Lucy in to her presence.