- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tara and Lucy sit down, sharing with one another memories of their mothers and their pasts...
The time was ticking away as Lucy and Tara sat at the kitchen table, conversing with one another. Tara had the choice of doing whatever she wished to do while the cake was baking, and she had chosen to just sit around and talk. They talked a lot during the days, though Tara's specific topic of choice was something they'd not dived into that often; each other's pasts. In the month they had known each other and had dated, they didn't know all that much about each other, as far as how the past went. They knew enough to be able to love one another, but it was more to start learning about their pasts and be more knowledgeable.

The conversation had started with Tara's side of things. Although she wanted to learn about Lucy first, she realized that they would both have to talk, eventually. She also remembered the pain that Lucy had gone through the day they met, when her mother died. Although she had lost a mother, once upon a time, she figured it would be easier for her to talk about her past. At least, it would be easier at first. “So, did you always have access to the Arte, Tara?” Lucy asked, curious about Tara's abilities. She had often pondered if Tara always had the abilities, or if she had learned them through some sort of studying or training.

“No, not always. It's not like I was born with it,” began Tara, thinking back on the origins of her use of the Arte. It seemed that the mother issues would not be avoided in this conversation. “The Arte is something that I've always known about, though. My mother used to tell me stories and supply me books on it, ever since I was a baby. Apparently, my grandmother was a devout user of the Arte, and she had left a lot of her old supplies for me. I didn't actually start studying the Arte until I was past most of my childhood.” Tara tried to keep a calm face as she sat on Lucy's shoulder, talking to her.

“Oh? So, you didn't always have these abilities. What made you decide to start studying it?” Lucy was curious, just as any good friend would be. She was completely unaware of the personal pain that involved that time of Tara's life. “Well...” Tara started. “...I began my research into the Arte shortly after my mother passed away. She...died, protecting me from a Fire Dragon that had attacked our home. I couldn't do anything to save her back then. She was the only family I ever had. So, after that happened, I swore that I'd find a way to protect others, the way she protected me. The Arte was that way.”

Lucy blinked, realizing what kind of memory that she'd forced Tara to dig up, for her. Reaching over, she pulled Tara from her shoulder and let her palm be her new chair. She brought Tara to her face and let her lips graze the girl's face. She gave her an apologetic kiss and then pulled her away. “I'm sorry, Tara. I didn't mean to dig up something personal like that.” Tara giggled a little, looking past the sore memory she'd just spoken of. She shook her head, trying to let Lucy know that she'd done no wrong. “No, it's alright! Really, Lucy. I've come to terms with my past. The important thing is that I have family again. I have you! You don't have to apologize.”

“Besides...” she added. “I appreciate the kiss.” The two smiled towards one another, their moods brightening, and Lucy not feeling nearly as bad as she did a moment ago. “Well, I'm glad you did!” said Lucy, looking over towards the timer. “Well, we've only got a few minutes left. Is there anything my little Tara would like to ask me? Is there anything specific about my past that you would like to know?” Their time was almost up. They had 10 minutes, at best, before their little 'talking' would be over and they'd have a cake to grab from the oven. Lucy figured that it was only fair that if she got to ask Tara about her past, that Tara should get the opportunity to ask the same of her, before their time ran out.

“Hmmm...” said Tara, deep in thought about the question. She, too, realized they didn't have much time left. She'd spent too long considering what to do and talking about her own past that she didn't really have a lot of time to ask Lucy about her own. “Where did you live before you cam here, Lucy? What caused the move to this village” Tara figured that recent past was as good as any. She knew next to nothing about Lucy's past, other than the fact that she only lived with her mother until the Antlion Incident that brought them together. She wanted to know more about her. Where she came from, what she did.

“It's a good question, Tara. We lived in a town about 50 miles away from this village, called Ambrose. It was a pretty big city, actually.” she started, telling Tara of a much different lifestyle than she'd had now. “Mom and I would jump from town-to-town, every so often, depending on the sort of job she was able to get. She was a jack-of-all-trades sort of person, so we went where the work was. In Ambrose, though, she got a big job, and we were there for nearly 3 years. There were a lot of benefits involved and such. Because of that, we wanted to be there until it was complete.”

“What kind of job?” asked Tara. Hearing that her mother did nearly everything made her curious. Lucy smiled and looked off into the distance for a moment, remembering her mother. “Well, Mom did a lot of things. In Ambrose, however, she sold and tested products for people. You know, like food, technology, tools, and the like. No one ever liked that sort of job, so it had absolutely wonderful benefits. By the time the three years were over, she got enough back from her bosses that we had more than enough money to move and she could retire from her job-searching.”

“So...that's when we decided to come here. We wanted to settle down and just be able to live on our own, without worrying about work. It just so happened that after we moved here, it...wasn't her and me sharing that retirement, but you and me, instead. She, well...you know what happened. The accident...” Lucy was now diving into a personal memory and Tara could see her face starting to get red from her feelings. Hovering into the air, she came to her cheek and gave her a little kiss. “Now, now, let's not get into that. I don't need a big, crying, girlfriend today. I'm right here, and we're supposed to be having fun. We're going to--”

Tara's little speech was interrupted by a loud beeping noise, as the oven went off. She immediately turned and they both, in unison, said “Oh! It's done!” They both moved towards the oven to get the newly baked cake from it...