- Text Size +
PARADISE ISLAND,
THE BAHAMAS
MAY 19, 2009

* * * * *

MILES STONE'S P.O.V.

As it turned out, there was an opening for a cleaning woman that the hotel needed to fill, right away. It seems that Gladys would be replacing someone who had just won the Publishers' Clearinghouse Sweepstakes!

Following her routine perusal of the job application, the personnel director gave Gladys a key to the bungalow, where she'd be staying, on the hotel grounds.

"When you're properly dressed, report to the Gulliver Suite, immediately," she added.

"Yes, ma'am," was all Gladys said in reply.

In case you've never seen pictures of it, the Hotel Lilliput is shaped like a giant capital "h." With the left and right towers linked by a centrally located suite at each one's fourteenth floor. Imagine the Venetian Bridge of Sighs decorated like guest quarters at the White House!

That is the Gulliver Suite.

Anyway, ten minutes later, Gladys had unpacked everything (including me). Following which, she went into the bathroom to put on her gray housekeeper's uniform. While she did that, I went into cyber-telepathic mode in order to inform Meriwether of our arrival.

"Were you able to infiltrate the premises without any difficulty?" he asked (the text appearing, in my mind's eye, like the wording on a giant holographic billboard).

"Yeah," I replied: "God bless the Dirty Tricks Department for being able to forge Ed McMahon's face!"

"And, where are the alleged animatrons kept?"

While Gladys had been filling out the job application, I had hacked into the hotel's clerical database. The little robotic figures that had made it such a household name, among the Jet Set, were kept somewhere in the backstage area of the nightclub. An area designated "Misc. Props."

"Only the manager and the chief electrician have access to it, as a rule," I told him: "But, this new entertainer seems to have been made an exception to the rule. I found a memo giving her permission to use some of the 'Lilliputians' in her act!"

I then mentally pictured a copy of Juliet Merlinova's lobby card likeness (as depicted in the hotel brochure Gladys had picked up en route to the bungalow) coming out of Meriwether's desk-top printer. And, speaking purely for myself, that likeness was pretty easy on the eyes!

Long red hair flowing down slightly past her shoulders. A slightly darker red bow tie around her throat. A white top hat in her left hand. And, her semi-tuxedo just as black as her high-heel shoes and translucent nylons.

"If the animatrons really are shrinkies," I remarked: "...selling some of them to a professional magician would be a perfect way to make some of them disappear."

"Good point," he replied: "I'll have our State Department contacts make some inquiries via Interpol."

"Do you really think Nozama would be reckless enough to shrink a Yakuza prince, and sell him to the Russian Mob?"

"I hope not," declared Meriwether: "Because, the last thing we need is a re-enactment of the Russo-Japanese War on American soil!"

* * * * *

Twenty minutes later, Gladys went up to the Gulliver Suite. With me, once again, tucked safely away in her cleavage!

I didn't try to take advantage of that, though. For one thing, we were partners. So, any physical mischief on my part would be highly unprofessional. Then, there was the fact that she was bigger than me, and could spank my rear end black-and-blue with just one of her index fingers. Most important of all, however, was the fact that Gladys was wearing "spectacle-cams." Black, plastic-rimmed eyeglasses, with earpieces that were really microelectronic camcorders!

And, it would be necessary for me to auto-hypnotically enter C-T mode in order to relay the images it picked up directly to M.A.C.H.O. Headquarters.

Gladys knocked on the front door to the Gulliver Suite, and was told to come in by a shout that was decidely female in origin. As I suspected, the shouter was Juliet Merlinova. And, the first image I relayed of her, as a live person, showed her playfully rehearsing with one of the "Lilliputians."

Only, this one was dressed like a samurai warrior. And, more astoundingly? His face bore a distinct resemblance to Okada Takeo's!

tbc