- Text Size +

        Felix’s heart and his body thrashed violently, but Felix could not escape the web. It was just too sticky. Every time he was able to lift one of his limbs, the stickiness pulled it right back down. “Help! Somebody!” he screamed.

        He turned his head towards the door, but it didn’t open. None of the guards ever came. No one came to save him. His eyes began to blur from the tears that coated his eyes. He clenched his eyes shut to allow the tears to escape and clear his vision, but as soon as he opened his eyes again, more tears formed around his eyes again.

        Felix turned to face the creature. It was closer; the chains clanged louder against the rocky floor. Even through watery vision, Felix could still see those ruby irises in the dark, getting closer and larger, at least through his perspective. More of its outline became more defined and Felix would have been able to see more of the creature if his eyes weren’t filled with tears. He did realize that the creature’s skin wasn’t blue but a pale purple.

        The ruby eyes stopped in front of him, just behind the white line. The eyes lowered and Felix quickly felt his body moving beyond his control. No, his body wasn’t the one moving, the webbing underneath him was moving. The net shaped web Felix was stuck to dragged across the floor heading for the dark side of the cell. His body was been dragged closer to those giant ruby eyes and there was nothing he could do to stop it. Felix shut his eyes tighter than he had ever done before. Tears soaked his cheeks and continued to leak out. Felix stopped struggling. It was hopeless. He was powerless. He was just a slave and no one would save him. No one would risk their own lives to save him, because he was a slave. He was less than human. He was nothing and no one would care about his death.

        His body dragged past the line and he was cast into shadow. He opened his eyes and standing over him was the creature. The outline became more defined. The upper half of the creature looked human except for the light purple skin, the ruby irises, and it was larger. Its hair was pure white and long. The darkness still camouflaged the age of the creature, but now he could see more of the lower half of the creature. From the waist down, Felix saw a giant insect body. It exoskeleton was the same shade of black as the darkness surrounding it. Felix couldn’t see all of the insect body and he couldn’t quite tell what type of insect its lower half-

        A spider! It has to be part spider. I’m in a web. And now it was going to eat him. The creature bent over and large hands descended towards him. Felix turned his head away, shut his eyes, and screamed one final plea, “Don’t eat me!”

        While he looked away waiting for the hands to grab hold of him, he didn’t notice the hands stopped their descent and hovered over him with hesitation. Felix was too busy crying and shivering to see what the hands above him were doing. But after that moment’s hesitation, the hands came down upon him and pulled him of the webbing. The fingers of both hands wrapped around his chest and under his arms. The hands nearly covered up his entire torso. He felt himself being lifted, but kept his eyes closed. This was it. This would be the end of his pathetic life.

        His body began to lower, but instead of his body being set on a larger web, he felt the floor beneath his feet. The fingers unwrapped and the giant hands pulled away from him. Felix opened his eyes and looked up at the giant creature that just retracted its hands and looked down at him.

        Felix didn’t wait. He couldn’t squander this new opportunity. He turned and ran. He crossed the line quickly and continued towards the door. He stopped halfway to the door and realized he forgot something. “The cart!” He needed to get the cart for the food of its next meal. Felix turned around to get the run back to the cart, but stopped when he saw the creature’s hands grab and lift the cart. Felix froze.

        The ruby eyes examined the cart and then looked back at Felix. Whatever Felix saw in those eyes was still there, but Felix still couldn’t tell what that look was. The eyes gazed back down at the cart in its hands and set it on the stone floor. Then it pushed it hard and the cart rolled across the line and towards Felix. Felix rushed to the cart, grabbed it, and pushed it to the door.

        “Let me out! I’m done!”

        A panel in the door slide open and the guard looked out. “You feed it?”

        “Yes, now please, open the door.”

        “How’d you get out of the webs?”

        So they did hear him and did nothing about it. “I wasn’t on its side and it wasn’t strong enough.”

        The panel shut, the door clicked and then opened up. He pushed it through the doorway and hurried down the hall to get the cart back to the kitchen. As he left, he heard the guards talking and one of them said, “Looks like you owe me some coin, the slave survived.”