- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
SEPT. 1, 2004
HANA NOZAMA'S P.O.V.
* * * * *

They called themselves "the Smith family: Manny, Moe, Jack and Joe." But, in truth, the closest thing they had, to a family resemblance, is that they were all white men who insisted on wearing black and white suits, with Polaroid sunglasses.

"May I ask how you gentlemen were referred to me?"

"We have certain mutual acquaintances," replied Manny (the oldest one) from the top left corner of the four-way window on my laptop computer screen.

"Eastern businessmen, you might say," added Moe (the second oldest) to his right: "They highly recommended your services to us."

"And, I charge for them, just as highly," I smilingly informed him.

"If you can rid us of this man, it'll be worth it," said Joe (the youngest, bottom right).

He held up a photograph of a white man, in his late thirties, with brown hair just starting to go gray. And, the smile he displayed in the photo was (for lack of a better term) infectious.

"What's his name?"

"Joshua Buckler," replied Jack (the second youngest, bottom left): "CEO of Jericho Cablevision, in Cranston, Illinois."

They went on to explain that he had been beating their respective networks, in the Nielsen ratings, for nearly five years. Apparently, because he telecast college football games without the usual half-time updates of other games. Instead, he telecast the half-time performances of the college marching bands...in their entirety!

I chuckled: "I've never seen the value of those segments, myself. After all; the only ones who find those half-time stats useful are compulsive gamblers and bookies!"

"We don't care," said Manny: "We want him gone. Preferably, by New Year's Day!"

"Very well," I replied: "I'll do it. For five hundred thousand dollars a piece."

"$2 million bucks???" exclaimed Jack.

I nodded: "Half, in advance. The rest, on completion. Both installments to be electronically transferred to a certain West Indian bank account. The number to which, I am now uploading to your respective servers. And, needless to say, these terms are non-negotiable."

All four windows closed for a minute. Then, with simultaneous "pings," they reappeared.

"You've got a deal," said Manny: "But, remember; the deadline is New Year's Day. Consider that...equally non-negotiable."

I nodded. And, they signed off.

* * * * *

JOSH BUCKLER'S P.O.V.

I was born and raised in Cranston, Illinois. There, I made a name for myself as captain of, and star quarterback for, the Cranston High School Starlings. My girlfriend, at that time, was Bonnie Sue Barton. Captain of, and feature twirler for, the Cranston High Darlings majorette line.

Whenever she had worked a little too hard, practicing for each home game, I would massage the backs of her legs. From where they emerged, from within her sensually curvaceous leotard, all the way down to the soles of her feet. Which, as I'm sure you've guessed, is how I developed my foot-fetish!

Unfortunately, graduation forced us to part ways in 1977. She went off to Purdue University. While I attended the University of Southern California ("Go, Trojans!"). And, I did so well for them that, in 1981, I got drafted by the Washington Redskins.

I played three seasons for them before being clipped by a drunk driver running a red light. It took me a full twelve months of very painful physical therapy to get the use of my legs back for just regular walking! So, resumption of football was out of the question. Luckily, I had minored in journalism at USC, as I had already mapped out my post-NFL career, before I was even a college freshman. And, that's how I came to be a sportscaster for ESPN.

That lasted till 1992.

I was at the Lucky Stars Casino, in Atlantic City, to cover some heavy-weight wrestling: "Sergeant Slaughter vs. Biff Stroganov (the Psychotic Cossack)." And, as I had arrived a little earlier than anticipated, I decided to kill the extra time playing one of those Jumbo Jackpot slot machines. And, believe it or not,...

...I WON! $15 MILLION BUCKS!

Now, it's right about then that I received an invitation to my fifteenth high school reunion. I had initially considered declining it. Needless to say, however, I reconsidered (regarding the monetary amount of my prize as a sign to go). And, guess who I met there?

Bonnie Sue Barton.

tbc