- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hopefully I was able to throw at least a few plot twists in this story, to keep you guessing.  If not, well, enjoy anyway.

 

The swamp-like grits hardly made for easy movement across Lacey’s plate while she was in another room, checking the relationship status of her latest boy-crush.  The temperature of the recently prepared breakfast items didn’t help either, Frank and Anita felt their bare feet beginning to burn, though the food had cooled a bit after being served.  While Frank hadn’t considered this, Anita knew that having blistered, burned feet would hinder their progress pretty quickly.

“Come on Frank, come on, we have to hurry!”  Frank, the older of the couple, had the beginnings of arthritis in his joints, and the strenuous exercise he was putting them through was beginning to make those joints flare up.  Anita, on the other hand, had been an athlete all through college, and even occasionally played sports with Lacey’s friends just to help even the teams when necessary.  Unfortunately, the silk gown that she wore slowed her.  Sure, it could have been tossed to the side, but her nudity would ultimately be a distraction for her husband, who may think a quickie behind the saltshaker may spice up their sex life.

 

As they neared the very edge of that soupy breakfast side dish, they saw that the edges had begun to cool more quickly than the middle, which gave their numb feet a little break.  However, as it cooled, it also thickened, changing from a soup-texture, to a paste-texture, and their progress had all but slowed to a halt.

“Anita, keep going…Lacey might come back any second now, and we’re still in her…” Frank’s motivational words were cut off by the light sound of footsteps in the distance.  The only stayed light for a moment, before Lacey turned the corner back into the kitchen.  Still on the phone with her friend Tori, she had changed into a spaghetti-strap black tank top with a bra underneath, and a pair of long, slim, black and pink sweat pants.  That shoulder-length golden hair was pulled into a ponytail, as well.

“…do you think I should call him?”  The blue-eyed blonde bombshell asked her friend, walking over to the table where her plate was.  She glanced over it idly for a moment before reaching down for her spoon.  After receiving an affirmative answer from Tori, she grinned nervously, set the phone on speaker, and placed it on the table, next to her plate.  “I guess I could try…”

 

The tiny parents on her plate were nearly paralyzed with fear.  Earlier they had been on the plate, but not in Lacey’s food.  If they were climbing on anything that Lacey picked up, they could simply jump off.  Now, they were nearly buried in the pile of buttery grits, and the phone distracted Lacey from paying more attention.  She wouldn’t even be looking at what she ate now.  As their titanic daughter placed the phone less than an inch away from the edge of the plate her parents were trying to escape, Frank got an idea.

“If we can get to Lacey’s cell phone, maybe whomever she’s talking to will hear us, if we stand right next to the microphone?  Or even better, maybe Lacey will notice us?”

“Fine, fine, but can we focus on not getting eaten, first?”  Anita’s words came back with venom, a side of Anita Frank hadn’t seen since he missed an anniversary.  Not wanting to start an argument, or really do anything but survive to see another day, Frank bit his tongue and kept up his pace as best he could.  With the grits cooling further, progress was slower than ever.   Inevitably, Lacey, still standing over her plate, reached down and picked it up, balancing it in one hand, while the other held her spoon.  Sighing a bit, she idly began stirring her grits.  The thicker, gooey skin that formed on top of the grits when they were cooling looked too weird to eat without stirring away.

That plate hand moved so quickly into the air that the tiny parents trapped on it would have likely been tossed right off it, onto the floor, were they not stuck fast in place.  Soon, they were much higher than previously, and now had an unobstructed view of Lacey’s perky young breasts.  She was by no means a large chested woman, but her B-Cups were nothing short of mountainous to the tiny people in her food.  Undeterred, they kept pushing forward, adjusting their goal from the cell phone, to Lacey’s thumb, which was balancing the edge of the plate, while her fingers supported it from below.

 

This new effort didn’t last long though, soon enough they heard the crash of that terrible spoon into the plate, followed by the sound of it scraping across the flat terrain, right towards their swampy prison! 

“Anita!  Watch out!”  Frank screamed to his wife, who was standing immediately next to him.  This was all but pointless however, though it seemed like there were enough grits in this serving for a thousand people to have several bowls, it was on a small few spoonfuls for the hungry, unwitting antagonist of the story.  A single sweep through had the tiny couple tumbling over each other and covered entirely.

 

The spoon itself was a sight to behold, easily the size of a football stadium.  Had it been motionless, they could have seen their reflection in the metal utensil.  At such a small height, they’d have even been able to make out the imperfections in the surface, cracks, spots, blemishes and many other things that a normal sized human would never catch without a microscope. 

“Yeah, maybe he’ll even…I don’t know, have dinner with me tonight?”  Lacey was already blushing at the thought of walking in a restaurant hand-in-hand with such a studly gentleman as Mike.  Grinning a little more, she stopped stirring the grits.  With an uncaring flip of the wrist, she scooped up half of a spoonful of the warm substance and lifted it to her lips.

With so little on her plate, it was virtually impossible for her to miss capturing her parents along with it.  For the shrunken adults, still buried and unable to see a thing, it was hard to assume anything but what they had feared had happened.  Frank was the first to break the surface; gasping for breath and wiping his face clean with his hands, before opening his eyes.  He opened them just in time to see the end of the ascent to Lacey’s face.  The color ran out of his face, and he could barely stay conscious enough to realize that Anita hadn’t come up yet.

“Anita, baby, where are you?!”  Panicking, he was able to tear his eyes away from the lower half of Lacey’s face to begin digging through the grits to find his wife before she suffocated.  “Anita, we gotta get her attention, she’s going to eat us!” 

Anita didn’t answer.  Despite his efforts, he could not find Anita’s body, dead or alive, within a few feet of him.  “Anita!”  He screamed again, tears beginning to well up in his eyes.  His eyes turned back towards Lacey, who had the spoon level with those soft, pink lips of hers now.  He was torn between being angry and being incredibly sorrowful at the situation, it wasn’t Lacey’s fault that her parents had ended up in her breakfast, was it?  She couldn’t be held responsible for their death, even if it was her who would carry it out.

As Frank stared in anticipation at his daughter pouty lips, he heard a soft inhale above him.  His eyes shot up, realizing that he was standing directly under her nose.  That slender, perfect nose she had gotten from her mother was now large enough to inhale a city worth of people, and leave them trapped in her nostrils or all of their lives.  His hair, barely long enough to reach his ears, tossed a bit in the breeze her inhaling had created.  The cool updraft contrasted heavily with the warmth of the grits he was in, giving him a few goose bumps, and he turned away, realizing it was probably the last time he’d ever see his daughter’s face, or some of it, again. 

As the moment of serenity passed, Frank heard the sound of Lacey’s lips parting, a sound most wouldn’t hear.  The moisture that resided on those bouncy lips was more than enough to send a tiny crackling sound through the air.  It caught the father’s attention, just in time to see that dark, powerful chasm between his daughters open.  This was it.  All the times they’d he’d fed Lacey as a baby, and now he was being fed to her.

Briefly he saw the very tips of her teeth, but before he could even really register how large they were, her lips contorted, shifting into an odd shape…an ‘O’ shape..?  Her lips were puckered.  That could only mean…

“GAHHH!  ANITA!”  Frank screamed once again, feeling the first signs of his voice going hoarse.  Lacey’s inhale was not for the sake of oxygen, she was blowing on the spoon!  The grits on that spoon hardly stood a chance, and began rolling backwards on the spoon, lower layers being revealed.  Frank, too, tumbled backwards in his daughter’s powerful, less than fresh breath.  As he fell onto his butt and began to roll, he caught something out of the corner of his eye.

 

A hand, right at the edge of the spoon.

Anita had been buried far deeper than Frank with Lacey’s spoonful, and her breath had revealed the poor woman’s body.  As the torrent of wind came to an end, Frank crawled on all fours towards the woman, just in time to notice Anita’s leg hanging over the edge of the spoon.

“Don’t worry baby, I got you!”  Standing again, one buttery hand grabbed and pulled Anita’s upper torso back to the surface, where Anita took a gasping breath.  Grinning, Frank tried to pull her farther onto the spoon again.  “Its not too late, we can survive this!”  Frank kept pulling, until he thought he had her safe.  Anita, trying to slip her leg back over the edge, groaned and swung her leg over with all her might, trying to swing some of those thick grits in the process. 

The result of this process was a kick to Frank’s knee, who was already sore, and doubled over in pain, tripping over his wife’s body, and tumbling right off of the edge of that spoon, and falling what must have been miles for the poor father, back to the plate. 

Anita, dumbfound at her action, stood there peering over the edge, still resting on her stomach, until Frank’s body was too far to see.

“Frank…” she whimpered.  There was no time to mourn.  Anita felt that spoon shake once again, and turned over to face her daughter’s parting lips for the first time. 

 

After a quick breath, Lacey blew lightly on her spoon, to ensure the grits wouldn’t burn the roof of her mouth.  After the small mouthful was sufficiently cool, she placed the spoon in her mouth, savoring the buttery goodness, and pulled it out clean.  Another glance to her plate then, surveying what she would sample next.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please tell me what you think!  We're getting to the good part now.  I could really use as much input on this story as possible, as is the case with all of my writing. 

Also, after finishing this story, I will never type the word 'grits' again. >/