- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A news reporter is telling the city of the disaster that has struck them, that will change the lives of society forever...

The red radiance of a setting sun was illuminating over the entire city, providing a gloomy glow to everything in the area. The day was nearing it's end, and half the residents were gathered around the streets on the edge of the city, trying to get past layers upon layers of police tape and roadblocks. About 4 blocks from where Large n Minor University sits, a camera crew jumps out of a van and they set up near one of the road blocks. They're planning to start shooting a news reel soon, and the woman with a microphone starts combing her hair back, getting ready for this.

“Am I on?” she asks, her long blonde hair partially illuminated by the sunlight. Within a few seconds, she gets a thumbs up from their crew as large shadows are moving in the distance, behind the road barriers that are keeping citizens from passing into the area. She clears her throat as she looks straight into the camera, getting ready to speak on behalf of what she knows. “This is Tamara Wilson, and I am here to bring you startling news this day. Something has happened in this innocent city that may change our society forever...”

She turns her head as they all look at a small passage in the barrier, where people are walking through, bringing injured people through on stretchers. “What has happened here was something no one could have foreseen. I am sure you all saw the bright flash of light that illuminated out skies mere hours ago. According to reliable sources, we have come to believe that this light was caused by some sort of weapon, developed by the group now labeled as Terrorist, the Anti-Large Militia. They marched on our very own college, Large n Minor University, and were performing an experiment with this creation, when all things went wrong.”

The woman and her crew slipped through the opening in the barrier, watching people being carried out on more stretchers, EMS personnel everywhere. “As we walk into this Hot Zone, you can see that the injured are being carried out of here as fast as the EMS can carry them. Women and men alike were victim to some sort of radiation from the light we all saw, and they suffered dire side-effects. As we walk along, these people are not only hurt, but they have been changed, for their entire lives. The Militia brought forth an element that was not meant to be tampered with in our society. Something that was crucial to the lives of Larges and Minors alike, size.”

As she walks further, we see a few of the stretchers, one of them carrying Helen on a stretcher, covered in a sheet, and the next held Abby, and then Jim, all the height of Minors. “This light affected Larges the most” the woman continued, moving closer towards the University. “As unbelievable as it sounds, the light managed to rob people of their very size. Only two of the Larges involved in this event managed to escape the radiation, both students of the University. All the rest in this part of the city are, as some would call it, 'normal'. They are not taller or shorter than Minors. How this happened to them, we do not know. All we do know is that this radiation had that effect on everyone and everything in the area.”

The woman turned her back to the camera and walked onward, showing all of their viewers a truly terrifying sight. They came to the blocks around the University, and things changed dramatically. The woman was walking and hugged the walls of the university, her heels narrowly dodging a car, at her feet. A car that couldn't have been more than 6 inches in length. “As you see below me, the Larges weren't the only ones who suffered from this.” The camera tilts downward and they see people down around the cars, and beyond the cars, entire blocks of road, tiny and miniscule. “The radiation affected everything. Nearly a third of our wonderful city is now at a ratio comparable to a model town. The small Minors aren't so small anymore.”

“As we look down at what's happened to our fellow citizens, we realize that the society we live in is becoming more and more complex. Not only do we have Minors and Larges now, but many of the people who were once Minors are now miniscule, as small to us as we are to Larges. We do not yet know if there will be any sort of solution to this mess. We don't know if we can right the wrongs done by the AL Militia and restore everyone and everything, but according to our sources, the government is doing their best to dismantle a hidden Militia facility and find out just what they did.”

“The more important question is, though...” she continued, leaning back against the walls of the university, holding a tiny PT Cruiser in her palm. “How will these people be able to adjust? How will Larges be able to adjust to life as Minors, and how will Minors be able to adjust to being this small? As you can see, this car is now the size of a model car, which is how small our cars are to Larges. However, can Larges and these people interact at all? If a “Micro”, if you will, is the size of my finger, how small would they be to Larges?”

“It brings forth a lot of questions...” she said, as she got back up and started walking back, towards the police barrier. “What we do know, however, is that the problem has been dealt with. The leader of the force that attacked the University has been caught, an unlucky victim of his own assault. The threat of this happening to anyone else has been taken care of. What we must deal with now, though, is facilitating the victims, and finding a way to help them fit in. I have been told that the City will go under a lock-down in approximately 12 hours. No one will come in, and no one will come out, to avoid any accidents.”

“How will things go from here?” she started, getting back out of the barrier area. “Not even I can tell, ladies and gentlemen of our city. But, we must go onward. For our childrens' sake. For the victims' sake. We must go onward, into the future, whatever it may hold. Bless you all, and I implore you to do what you can for the victims you may have in your friends and family. Support them, and try to help them adjust to their new lives as easily as possible. This will not be easy, but it must be done. This is Tamara Wilson. Have as good a night as possible, everyone.”

As she lets the camera crew shut down, we can see a normal-sized Janet walking past one of the trucks, carrying a finger-sized Hayes in her hand, quickly depositing him into her coat pocket and moving towards a group of police in the area. Behind them, we can see Emily and Fran, still having their full-height, following one of the ambulances, which had just loaded Helen, Abby, and Jim inside, taking them to a local hospital.

The future of the city has changed, dramatically, due to the AL Militia's assault. Lives have been changed, and adjustments must be made. How, then, shall the victims, no...the world react to this? How will Abby and Helen react to their new lives? Will they ever find a cure to all of this? These answers can only be obtained in the future. The future of them. The future of Large n Minor University.

THE END?

Chapter End Notes:

The End?