- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Janet finally gets her message to Fran as the other Larges arrive and Abby realizes her true situation...
Janet was frantic, at this point. Out of his pure anger and frustration at the machine, he'd messed around with dials, and thrown the entire system out of whack with his moving of the controls. She didn't know what was going to happen with the system in mid-firing while the controls were changed. She had calibrated the device work on a specific frequency to focus the beam of light that it emitted to only a single object. Without those specifications in the alignment of the controls, there was no telling what was going to happen. The system would overload, for sure, but after that, she had no idea. The device could emit light in all directions, it could explode, or it could do nothing.

The unknown is exactly why Janet was freaking out. In the worst-case scenario, the entire machine would blow, emitting light in all directions, with nothing to focus on. This could, in theory, utilize the effect that it had on Abby and the woman from before on the entire block. It was set on a percentage-size ratio, so not only would all of the Larges in the area be thrown down to Minor height, but it could cause more serious problems. Not only would it be hitting people, but it might be hitting objects as well. Buildings, signs, vehicles, electrical wires. There was no telling what kind of effect it would have on the area, which is why she needed help to get it out, and the Large in front of her was her only hope, at this point.

As chaos was building up by the machine, where Fran and Janet were, there were two more things going on here. Helen and Emily were still around the gates of the University, both watching what was happening with Fran, and adjusting their sight to see Jim's searching for Abby. There was also a large group of Larges coming in from the other side of the city, a man in a suit leading them to the scene, from the East. As all of this was coming together, Emily looked down, trying to call for Jim. “It's that girl from before. The one that took you, Jim. She's trying to...! Oh, my God!”

Her voice shot through the area. Both Abby and Jim had heard the loud voices and noises going through the area, but Abby was just trying to get out of this place and hope all of this echoing didn't mean she was dreaming. When Emily's voice screamed at them, they both fell, Abby falling back deeper into the dark area of where she was and Jim onto the large material he was climbing on. Turning his head, he looked up at Emily, a shocked look on her face. “E-Emily? What's wrong?” This was soon followed by a gasp from Helen, whom looked over towards him as well. “That's...is Abby down in there somewhere?!”

Jim had no idea what they were talking about. Was Abby down in there? Was she down in what? Whatever this big...thing was that he was on top of? He tried to look down at it, but all he saw was a big...material. He had no idea what it was. Had both of them gone crazy, or was there something here they could see that he couldn't? He had a huge sound of confusion in his voice and on his face as he asked them again. “What are you two talking about?” The confusion was heightened by all of this, but Melinda and Sarah were looking around as well. They could see what was going on and why Helen and Emily were concerned. “Jim...those are...you're standing on Abby's blouse!”

Her blouse? Jim was even more confused now. Why would he suddenly be on top of Abby's clothes? She would be wearing them, wouldn't she? As he looked down and around his surroundings, he tried to make sense of it. While he did this, Abby was burrowing her way through this place, having heard every word of the conversation. Every nerve in her body went off at the thought of what had just been said. The huge voices, the darkness everywhere, the fact that she was naked. She hurried along and forced her head out of the hole in this material and she let out an ear-piercing scream at what she saw.

“W-w-what's going on here?!” she called, getting a little scared at the situation. The first thing she saw was what she thought was Emily and Helen, except they weren't the same as before. They were huge, like tall buildings. They towered over her as she poked her head out of the enormous material. Her arms and hands started shaking as she realized what was going on. As she spoke, she saw Jim turning around and she started to blush, pulling part of the material up, over her chest. The shock of everything was astounding. Jim was there, and he was no longer the size of her finger. He was a good distance away, but he almost looked like he was the same size as her. As soon as she heard a voice coming from the distance, her eyes rolled upward and she fell backwards, unconscious.

As Jim moved forward, trying to get to Abby and see if she was alright, Janet finally got back to what she was trying to tell Fran. She'd come down to her level and asked her what was going on. “Who are you?! Are you with these people?! Just what are you trying to do to us?!” Janet understood Fran's frustration, but she just didn't have the time to explain. She shook her head. “Just listen to me, please! You're my only hope right now. The machine is overloading. It might explode! If you don't want all of us to suffer miniaturization, you have to get it as far away as possible. You have to get rid of it!”

“What? I don't understand what you're saying!” spoke back Fran, the ground moving as the group of Larges from the side joined her. A man stood above her, pulling her up. He had short-brown hair and looked down at the machine. “What's going on here? What is that thing on that truck?” he asked, expecting Fran to know what was going on. Janet was on the ground, by both of them, trying to yell up to them. “Just get it out of here before it blows! Listen to me, for one second! Please!” Her voice was getting worse and worse as time went by. The machine started making it's noise faster and faster until part of it started to glow.

“There's no time!” screamed Fran. “She said to get rid of it, so we have to get rid of it!” Her hands reached down and pulled the truck up. She easily lifted it from the ground, with both hands, only to have the man next to her question it. “Excuse me, miss. I'm Argo Drake. Just what are you planning on doing with this?” Her hands pulled back as she looked towards the field beyond. “What does it look like?! I'm gonna toss it as far as I can!” After a moment, the man grabbed onto it, too, agreeing to help her get rid of it. They leaned back, together, and no sooner had the truck left their hands had a bomb of light erupted from the truck, blinding everyone on the block...