- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Fran tries to thwart the AL Militia's plans, but soon loses track of Captain Hayes...

The chaos of the situation was escalating, perhaps further than any of them expected. The loud voice that Fran had produced shot through the air, as if a dozen loud-speakers were going off, all at the same time. There were screams from the streets, gasps from behind the gates of the university and they were about to be joined by another loud, crashing noise. Fran had seen these people re-aiming the device and assumed they were getting ready to fire off another round of whatever they were doing. She didn't know what it had done, but she wanted to make sure she put a stop to it.

Just before one of the Milita's soldiers had reached the controls to fire off another round, to make Emily join Abby in what had just happened, Fran had arrived at the intersection they were at. It was advised that Larges never actually enter the city, for obvious reasons, let alone show hostile actions towards Minors, but her mindset was different right now. The last thing she wanted to do was hurt people, but the desires to protect the ones she loved outweighed that. Abby might have already been hurt, and the ones with her may have followed. There wasn't really a choice. She had to do something. There was no one else around, it seemed, to do so.

Fran had intended for her boot to come down and hit the front of the drop, making sure that no one would be able to fire the weapon or whatever it was. Her footfall should have been enough to completely knock those people off-balance and make sure the Firing that she had heard ordered would be delayed enough for her to do something about it, or for someone else to. She didn't want to hurt those people, but at the same time, she wanted to protect her friends. Sometimes, to protect the ones you love, you have to hurt others. Her foot came down and slammed against the ground, her thwarting of their second firing underway.

The shadow of the boot narrowly missed the actual truck, bashing into the ground, next to it. As her foot came down, an immense quaking sound occurred and it felt like the entire block was shaking. Street lights were swaying out of control, half a dozen car alarms started going off, and the people on the truck, itself, started screaming at the tops of their lungs. Fran was creating quite a commotion past the confusion that had happened from the light-filled experiments that were being done by the AL Militia. As the shock wave took effect, everyone on the truck collapsed, Janet and Hayes included.

Hayes had just started to climb out of the side of the truck when the shock hit them. Everything shook and he was shoved out of the truck by the impact. His face hit the ground and pain was sent through his cheek as he landed. Quickly pulling himself up, he and the other soldiers saw Fran's boot, less than 10 feet away from the truck. He got up and stared up at her, trying to send an intimidating look towards her. Tried, but didn't quite succeed. The girl was focused on them and sending an intimidating look of her own. Her attire and her attitude sent a chill through all of them.

“S-See! Everyone, look! The Larges are trying to kill us! They want us all dead!” His speech gained him a lot of gasps throughout the streets and made Fran, herself, gasp and drop her jaw. She was getting flustered by him and she shook her head. “I am doing no such thing!” she called down to him. “You attacked my friends, the people that I love! I am doing what I can to make sure they are safe from the likes of you and your little Militia! You're the Anti-Large Militia, I can tell! What did you do to my friend, other there? I only see part of her attire on the gate. What was that light? What was--”

Fran looked back down, in front of her boot, and he was gone. She shook her head, from left to right, trying to find him. She had him right there in front of her. How could she have possible LOST someone that close to her? He'd used his ability to fluster and frustrate her to his advantage. Now, he was gone, but where had he gone? Was he still near the truck? Was he down the street, running like a coward? He was obviously trying to sow discord in the people of the area with what he'd said, so surely he wouldn't be that far away.

The only problem she had right now was just where he was. His uniform had looked considerably different than the uniforms everyone else around the truck was wearing. How hard could it possibly be to find him again. She sighed as she knelt down, near the truck, trying to find him. After a moment, however, she thought she had an idea of where he was at. She heard a mechanical noise near her. It was faint, but as her black hair dangled down, towards the ground, she could hear it, coming from the truck. She eyed the truck carefully, until she saw that the device was moving, somewhere.

Emily was off in the distance, everyone else having heard the commotion that Fran was creating. Both she and Helen had looked in the distance as their vision was finally clearing up. They both heard Fran's voice, flying through the air. Emily, for a moment, shook her hands for a moment, remembering the last time she had seen Fran. It was when Jim had gotten kidnapped, and she was hurting both him and her. She looked down for a second, sighing, but then looked back up, getting back to focusing on the matter at hand. It looked like she was trying to keep them from doing whatever they did to Abby.

Fran was still frantically looking around, when she finally saw where the device was turning to. On the back of the truck, she finally saw Hayes again, after hearing a buzzing sound coming from the device, itself. All of the soldiers had been knocked off the truck on impact, though Janet was still on the bed of the truck, just behind where Hayes was at. He saw that she saw him, but he knew it was too late. He'd already input the controls and moved the levers into the right position. “You won't be 'hurting' anyone else when this goes off. Your threat and your people's threat will soon be-..” As the device was still powering up, he fell over and yelped, after hearing a loud “Stop!!!” from below him...