- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The trio look off as a bright light envelops Abby...

Janet's head was shaking as Hayes gave the order to go ahead with this “Test” of sorts. She looked at the three Larges and could see the looks on their faces when this thing would hit them. The look on that other Large's face when she'd spoken with her. The sorrow, the despair, the sadness in her eyes. How could Janet let them do this to anyone else? How could she allow them to take away their lives? Sure, they could live as Minors, but what kind of effect would being so much shorter than before have on a Large? The other woman had immediately gone into a bout of depression, not thinking she could ever face her family again. What would these Larges do in reaction, were the test to work?

She didn't know, but she felt as if she didn't have a choice in the matter of watching or not. She saw the soldiers messing with the dial and the levers and the device was being turned on. She could see the spinning discs within the device turning and a loud, buzzing sound occurring, just as it had in the laboratory. They were really going ahead with this. She looked at the device, and then off at the Larges. She had to do something, didn't she? But she couldn't. The soldiers were still holding her back, far out of reach of the device, and she wasn't even sure what sort of effect would happen were she to shut the device off in mid-firing.

Abby and the others were intently watching the truck, the soldiers, and the...thing on the back of the truck. They weren't exactly sure what was going on, but they noticed that things were changing, a little bit. Melinda, Jim, and Sarah were at the bottom of the gates and, even then, they could hear the buzzing sound the device was emitting. They all looked up and screamed up towards the three Larges, Jim to Abby, Melinda to Helen, and Sarah to Emily. If this was some sort of weapon, the three of them needed to be out of sight. At least, that was the idea they had. “Abby!” called Jim. “W-What's going on?!”

They had no idea what was going on and the three Larges were too occupied in looking at the thing that was buzzing to have any sort of clue as to what was going on. They just looked at it, Helen raising an eyebrow. What was the point of all this? Were they going to attack the Larges using buzzing noises? If so, then they were a little un-prepared if this was to be any sort of assault on the University. They could defend against sound, though Helen was taking a closer look at this thing. It was pointing towards Abby now, and she suddenly felt something beating against her ankle. Looking down, she saw Sarah, on her shoe, trying to get her attention.

Finally out-of-it enough to pay attention, Helen knelt down and scooped Sarah up into her hand. “Sarah?” she asked. Sarah, panting, deep breaths, screamed to Helen. “I...I think I know what it is!” The three Minors, along with Helen and Emily, were focusing on each other, hoping that Sarah could shed some light on whatever this device, or whatever it was, is and what it did. Helen spoke first as the group started listening, other than Abby, whom seemed to be transfixed on the device. “What do you mean, Sarah? How would you know what that thing is? I've never seen anything like it.”

“Okay, listen closely...” said Sarah, the idea and thought suddenly coming to her mind as she thought about this thing being something to use against Larges. “You know that most weapons don't affect Larges much, right? Bullets and such can hurt and penetrate the skin, if at a close proximity, but with the thickness of their skin, most sort of bullets only leave bruises on the body. Well, someone in my family is on the inside of the organization and awhile back, I remember him telling me about some sort of research they were doing on a way to 'eliminate' the threat posed by the Larges.”

The three looked at one another and nodded as the buzzing started to get louder and louder. “Well, at first, he thought this was some sort of way to hurt Larges. But, a few weeks later, he came back with a crazy rumor. He never thought that it was true, but he said he heard one of the scientists talking about some way to take away the threat and make them the same as Minors. He thought that this experiment, were the rumor true, were some way to not hurt Larges, but to alter their physiology, to make them smaller, like Minors!”

They all raised their eyebrows at this situation. Making a Large smaller? Was that even possible. The buzzing was getting louder and they could hear some sort of energy stored up in the device. Emily, not willing to take any chances, looked to Abby, whom was still transfixed on this device. She grabbed onto her ankle and called up to her. “Abby! Get down here! Get down here right now!” Abby wasn't looking anywhere but the device on the streets. She had heard Emily, but she only muttered a small response. She saw a light building up in the device, which made a peculiar glare in her eyes. It was almost as if it were attracting her vision. “Huh...just a...minute, Emily.”

Emily looked to Helen, Jim, Sarah, and Melinda, with a worried look on her face. Helen pushed herself up to move towards Abby. “Abby, you're coming down here, whether you want to or--” Helen was knocked off her feet as they heard a loud crashing sound from the streets. Lights flew through the sky, and a loud shining filled up everything any of them could see. They all covered their eyes, but Jim called up to Abby, hoping she had gotten out of the way. He didn't know what was going on, but he had a bad feeing, about her. “Abby! Abby, are you alright?!”

They were given an answer soon enough. A deafening, ear-shattering scream could be heard from above them. It filled their ears and the three Minors screamed as well, their eardrums feeling as if they were about to explode. As the sound was deafened and the light was starting to fade away, Jim jumped towards where Abby was, trying to get close to her and make sure she was alright. However, when he jumped, he didn't feel anything. He fell onto the ground on some sort of material or soft object. The situation was very strange to him. Thanks to the light, however, they still couldn't see anything. He moved around as best he could, calling for her, hearing the movement and from the four people behind him.