- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Three scenarios are starting, one at the gate, one in the streets, and one elsewhere...

Abby and the others had wasted little time and got to the gates of university in a pretty short amount of time. Of course, they didn't need a lot of time. With legs the size of small buildings, one didn't need a terribly amount of effort to be able to get from one field to another. Each of the three carried a Minor in her palms, all six of them set to see this thing through, whatever 'this' might be or might become. They were to stand watch and make sure no one came in or anything of the sort. Were the AL Militia to try to waltz in, Abby, Helen, and Emily would be enough, without the knowledge of what the Militia was really planning.

The Dean had told them to watch over the gate, likely until Argo Drake and the people he'd called arrived to take over the situation. For now, though, it was up to them. Jim looked up towards Abby as she was walking. Below, he could hear the loud footfalls of his friend, as her sandals slowly touched and pushed down the ground. Melinda and Sarah did the same for Emily and Helen, though with sneakers, as opposed to sandals. Before long, they'd arrived at the gateway, seeing the road and city just ahead of them, on the other side of the University Gates. As they looked onward, the trio saw something close by, and squinted as they looked, while the three Minors they held watched their expressions.

“What in the world is that?” asked Helen, looking to the road just in front of the gates. “Is that the truck the Dean was talking about?” She could see where the Militia was preparing for it's strike against the University, and saw the device on it's bed. There was a group of people standing around the truck, itself, and there was something on the back of it. The steel plating of the device, or whatever it was, shone in the day's sunlight. Abby and Emily soon joined Helen in their skepticism as they saw the device. It almost looked like some sort of necked projectile cannon from those old, japanese Kaiju flicks. It confused all three of them as they looked at once another. “If that's them...what do we do?” asked Jim, slightly nervous, pushing himself against Abby's finger.

Abby looked down at Jim, and then back at this...thing that was in front of them. They could see it moving, as if they were directing it towards something. As she stared at it, she started to get a nervous feeling and also felt as if she needed to step up. Jim had looked to her for what they were to do. He was looking up to her, wanting some sort of advice. She tried to go through her thoughts, but the look on that thing just didn't seem right to her. Soon, Abby began to lower herself to the ground. “Helen, Emily...we need to put our friends on the ground, behind the gate. They'll be safe there. If that is a weapon of some sort, we can withstand it, but...they can't.” The other two Larges concurred with Abby's suggestion and began to lower themselves down, dispatching Melinda, Sarah, and Jim on the ground, in fear of what this thing might have in store for them.

--------------------------

As the group of Minors were being set down by Abby, and the AL Militia preparing for what they wanted to do, there was someone else, off in the distance, in another direction. Fran, having given her ideas and this situation a lot of thought, got herself up from her sitting position in the field. As she stood up, she collected the remaining thoughts of what she could say to them, and decided it was about time to get her butt moving and head to campus. There would be no more stalling, no more thinking. She just had to get over there, as soon as possible, and find them, so she could apologize. It didn't matter anymore, whether she said the right thing or not. She just had to go and do it. Otherwise, she might never do it.

She let out a deep breath that doubled as a sigh. She had been under a lot of stress this day, and had caused a lot of stress for those she felt were close and that she cared about. Her heart, her mind, he body. It was all weighed down by a great number of things, especially the thoughts about making everything up to Jim and Abby. She turned her body and let her boots touch the ground, causing small dust-clouds as she walked towards the University. Now was the time to return, and she had to do it now. She tried to wear a smile on her face as she continued walking.

As she made her way across the fields, she'd halved the remaining time to the University. Now it would only be a short walk and she could even see the gates of the University from where she stood. An eyebrow raised as she continued her walk towards it, seeing three Larges standing in front of the gate, watching the other side, as if they were looking at something or keeping something out. It looked quite confusing to her. She slowly watched them, but smiled as she saw that one of them was Abby. She was getting closer and closer, not realize just how serious and how close the situation was about to become.

-------------------------------

Hayes had come out of the truck and immediately saw the three Larges that were at the gates of the University. They had made a slow approach and had even ducked their heads, disappearing behind it for a moment, but they were there. The truck was in a proper position, given the test that had been done with earlier that day. They were ready, and he was ready to do something about these people. Three Larges were there, all women, just like the woman they'd experimented on earlier. In Hayes' mind, everything was flawless. They were in a perfect position to be their first field test.

The device had been turned towards the gate, where the three Larges were. It took several minutes to get it repositioned, the main device being much too heavy to move quickly, but it was in position, soon enough. Janet had been pushed back by several Militia soldiers, and started to get a nervous feeling in her gut. She looked towards the Larges, and then back at Hayes. She then looked at the device, and the soldiers that were now holding onto the device's control mechanism. Were they really planning on doing this? Were they really going to try to do this to these people?

Her instincts told her that they were going to. They had no reason not to, given most of the organization's beliefs and views towards Larges. They thought they were a scourge to society and had to be 'fixed'. As she looked to the three Larges in the distance, her mind was filled with images. She saw their faces, deep with despair, just as that woman from before. She stared into the distance, sighing and trying to move forward, towards the device. “H-Hold on!” she said. Holding her back, three of the soldiers looked to Captain Hayes. He looked to her, then to the others. “You may fire when ready.”