- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The AL Militia is almost to the University, and Janet wonders what she can do...

The six people on Campus were on the move and getting closer towards the front gates, unaware of just what they were walked into. Events were unfolding right now that would be doing a lot more than just a political impact on the media in the world they lived in. They would find out, very soon, that there was a lot more to it than that. The Dean didn't know just what he was asking them to walk into, but soon, he would find out, as would everyone else involved in this matter. But, as it stood, the six were still on their way to the gates, not knowing what truly awaited them. Or, rather, not knowing what was still coming for them.

The truck containing the AL Militia's new experiment was still a good 4 blocks away from the edge of the city, where the University stood. It, as it had been before, driving very slowly to make sure that the trip wasn't too bumpy for the machine in the back. They hadn't exactly bolted the thing into the bed of the truck, so it was just sitting there with some straps holding it in place. It was an extremely heavy object, so heavy they had to disassemble it into dozens of separate pieces just to get it up to ground level and put it on the truck. Were they anything but slow and careful, it could tilt, move, fall, break, and who knows what else.

The Militia didn't want anything to go wrong with this mission. They were taking a big risk by going straight for the university with this. The wiser course of action would have been to go through to find the people involved in the kidnapping and take the story to the media. Forming a political attack against Minors would have been more prudent than just taking this new experiment and testing it out on the people of the university. Hayes was like that, though. He was a bit of an extremist. He didn't like attacking their views. He would rather take the fight to them. So, he was taking this risk, imagining some glorious victory for him, with all of the minors there having been 'fixed' and more to come.

The man had been over his headset to the others on the truck, ranting and raving about this supposed victory. “We will finally make our stand against those giant freaks!” he said. “They want to be among us? Then, they can be like us. They can be small, like the rest of us, and they can live amongst us, without constant fear of our family, our children, getting harmed by their over-sized, disgusting bodies. We ride into the Campus now and we'll show them that our way is a better way!” Many of the soldiers were being rallied and influenced by this speech. It was helping to give them a better vote of confidence about what they were doing. His words made them think they could win this, no problem.

The speech was powerful, and Hayes had obtained a leadership position among the organization a long time ago, but there was one person aboard the truck that his speech didn't reach. Throwing a finger up, Janet shut the headset off, not wanting to hear any more of this speech that he was making. She just sat there, staring at the machine, still covered by a tarp. She was staring at it, blurring everything else out of her line of vision. She couldn't look or think about anything else, but what they were about to do, and whether she wanted to go along with it or not.

She still remembered the experimental test of the Large woman, and what she had been told, by her. The process had been initially harm-free, but the people of that organization were only worried about one form of harm: physical harm. None of them were worried about the emotional repercussions of doing this to someone, making them smaller, like they are. The woman had been perfectly fine, as far as her health went, but her words still rang through Janet's ears, as if she were still there, right in front of her. She still remembered, all too well, what she had said and what Janet had thought.

Perhaps she had a change of heart with this, but she didn't feel like this was right anymore. She thought about her own life, her own family, and wondered what it would be like for someone to change her, forever, just because she wasn't like them. How would she feel? If she was irreversibly different, how would it affect her life? How would it affect her relationship with her family? What if she was suddenly shrunk down to the size Minors were to the Larges? If she came back to her husband and her children, how would they react, knowing that their mother was now only the size of their finger?

She didn't know what to do about all of this. They were going to go to the University and do the same to who knows how many people that they did in the experiment. Deep down, she felt like it was the wrong thing to do, but what could she do about it? Even if, stressing the if, she tried to sabotage this device, she would never succeed. She was surrounded by officers and Hayes. Once they realized she was trying to ruin the device, who knew what they would do to her? Not only would they overpower her and stop her from ruining their plans, but what would they do with her? Would they lock her in some sort of prison? Would they hurt or kill her for interfering? It was hard to ponder and guess.

She sighed and stood up, looking past the truck. She spoke as she stood and looked forward. “I have to do something...I can't let more lives be hurt and shredded because of this thing. But...what can I...oh, no...” Janet looked forward and her thoughts suddenly drooped down and she felt an emotional weight against her entire body. The truck was turning and, just about a block away, she could see the gates to Large n Minor University. They were much closer than she had hoped. She heard Hayes give the order to uncover the device. As she heard the soldiers at work and felt the truck slowly turning to aim the bed towards the gates, she got a strong sting in her gut. It might have been too late to do anything. Off in the distance, she saw some Larges approaching the front gate. The experiment could go underway at any time, if Hayes noticed them. “What am I going to do...”