- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The group ponders what they've just been told and Jim starts to blame himself for what was going on...

Abby sighed as she watched the Dean walking away from the group. He had been very serious in that discussion, and was even planning to call in Argo Drake on this matter. That told her that it was very serious. It wasn't too long before the Dean was out of sight, his pace having picked up rather quickly. It was clear that he wanted to get back to the main building and get all of this calling and work done as quickly as he could. If he was right about this supposed armored truck that was moving through the city, they may not have much time before things would start to get even more serious around.

Jim leaned against Abby's calve as he heard the long, wind-filled sigh from above him. They all looked at her, actually. All of them except Emily, whom was looking down, still looking at Jim's injured form. There was a load on her mind as well. The six of them had finally gotten together to talk about how everyone was doing, and the Dean just dropped this bomb on them. He just came up, like “Oh, by the way. The AL Militia might be on their way, right now, to attack us. Don't worry. I'll just go make a call. Okay? Thanks. Bye!” They all knew he had a job to do, but all of it seemed so sudden, even to Sarah and Melinda. They thought they were planning to do something, but full-out assault on the campus wasn't what they were guessing.

They all knew what was happening, and knew where the Dean wanted them. They just weren't sure what they were going to do about all of this. “How did it come to this? It was just an accident!” cried out Jim, his face starting to get red, the pressure pushing down on him. The fact that he was directly involved with what caused this whole mess made him feel a little responsible, even though it, ultimately, wasn't his fault. “If only I hadn't taken this job. None of this would be happening, right? Fran kidnapped me. Abby came after me. All of this is because of m-” His statements were suddenly muffled into strange, wordless noises as Abby's finger came down and covered up his face.

His voice stopped as she looked down at him and shook her head, from side to side. “It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself for this.” Her eyes gazed past her glasses as she looked down at him and slowly pulled her finger away. “But, I...” “She's right, Jim.” called down Emily. She was trying to hold as much of a smile as she could, a lot weighing down on her, but knowing that she owed him a debt, and she would start repaying his debt with some confident advice. “You didn't do anything wrong. You helped me when I was hurt and no one else was around. It's not your fault you got caught up in this.”

“That's right. No one person can ever be held responsible for what happened” said Sarah, slowly coming into this conversation. “I'm the one who basically told the AL Militia what happened and alerted to them of this chance...” Sarah let out a sigh as Melinda let out a nod, bringing more conversation from in front of Helen. “...and I was the one who asked Sarah about what happened.” Jim was looking around at all of them, seeing everything they were putting into the conversation. They were all trying to show him that it wasn't his fault, that there was something more to all of this, and there definitely was.

Helen reached down and patted Jim's head. She paused for a moment, this being the first time she'd actually touched a minor. She blinked feeling the tiny, little head under her fingertip. It sent a chill up her arm, to realize that this little thing was a person. She'd always known about minors, but it felt very interesting to actually touch one, to feel one. She rubbed across his hair for a few moments before retracting her finger and continuing the conversation. “They're all right. I know I wasn't around for most of this...” As she spoke, her hair was dangling down towards him, a smile coming to her face, trying to seem as encouraging and convincing as possible.

“...but we all made this happen. It wasn't just you. It was Abby, me, Emily, Melinda, Sarah, Fran, and everything else that's going on. Fate deals you a hand, Jim. You just have to deal with what you've been dealt.” Jim kept looking around, trying to fix his hair after what Helen had done to it. It was sticking out everywhere, and just looked bad. “But if I hadn't come here...” “...you couldn't have avoided what happened. It just happened. There's nothing any of us could have done.”

“We're all in this together” came the voice from directly above him. Abby looked down at him, letting her own finger graze down his body, pushing him against her leg. He could feel the heat coming from behind him and the soft touch her finger had always granted him. Abby was definitely a gentle, caring person, even in the middle of a stressful and dangerous situation. She knew what to do, all of them did. “No one would ever blame you for this, Jim. We are all in this together, and we will all come out of this, together. Nothing the AL Militia can throw at us will stop what we have. I'll make sure of that. Remember...I told you that we won't let anything happen to anyone.”

“Abby..” said Jim, as he was quickly lifted into the air. She stood up, holding him in her palm, close to her shoulder. She was then followed by Helen, holding Sarah, and Emily, holding onto Melinda. They all had a task to do, and they planned on doing it. They turned towards the gates of the campus, and then back towards each other. “Let's go” said the three Larges. They then began to walk towards the gate, one pair of sandals, and two pairs of sneakers pressing into the ground with each step, causing small clouds of dust as they moved across the campus area, slowly moving towards their location, unaware that the AL Militia's truck was closer to the campus than they realized...