- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Emily and Helen meet up with Abby, Jim, and the others, initially shocked to see bandages on Jim and Abby...

Emily's mood had brightened up quite a bit since Helen talked to her about why she was so worried about Jim, and how she wanted to repay him for helping her. With Helen's arm around her, she had a big smile on her face as they'd entered the campus together. Helen was happy as well. She knew that stress wouldn't be helping Emily's condition, in case the fever had decided to spike again. With little to no stress bothering her, she would be that much less likely to come down with the fever again today. They walked into campus, both happy and ready to start searching for Abby and Jim.

Helen had been the one to suggest they look for both of them, rather than just walking around, looking for Jim. Abby would be a lot easier for them to spot, and she thought they would be together. The last time she'd seen Abby was when she was taking Emily home, and Abby was going after Jim. If she had managed to safely get Jim back to the university, from that girl's house, she seemed like she would have wanted to stay with him. She could tell that Abby had some sort of attachment to him. So, Helen had gotten the idea that they should just look for Abby. Even if he wasn't with her, she would likely be able to point them in the right direction.

Helen had been at the university for quite some time now, and was well aware about Abby's special 'living conditions' on campus. The girl had no place to go and, while she had offered to find her a place a year or two back, the Dean went against the idea and decided to just build her a home on campus. Abby had a bad history with being outside campus, what with the AL Militia and everything. They'd attacked her twice in the past, three times if you include her original village. The Dean wanted to make sure she stayed close, to ensure that no more incidents would occur, and if they did, they could do something about it.

Knowing about the house that was on the back edge of campus, Helen decided that's the first place they would look. She kept her arm around Emily at all times, ensuring that they watched where they stepped and were able to make it back there in one piece. She knew that Emily's entire condition was because she wasn't paying attention to the signs they'd made for the Minors to use on campus. She also was slightly hobbling around, thanks to her ankle still being hurt. They walked around the paths and just stuck to the fields as they made their way past the main building of the campus and worked their way back further.

Thankfully, Helen's suspicions were correct. About halfway between the main building and the very back edge of campus, they came to a field and saw a tall figure in the distance. Well, tall wouldn't quite be the way to describe it. To make things simpler, they saw another Large walking around, a female, which Helen quickly recognized as Abby. She smiled and waved towards Abby, pushing Emily along further. As they walked closer, she whispered to Emily. “That's Abby. Take a look. She has a few people in her hands. Maybe one of them is Jim, and you can finally thank him and see how he's doing!”

Emily started to smile as she looked and she did see three tiny figures in Abby's hands. They were still a good distance from Abby, so they couldn't really tell who or what they were, but hope was coming up in their minds, and they started to think that their search was finally over. Finally running up to them, they greeted Abby and her three little guests. As they got closer, however, they saw that both Abby and Jim had bandages on them. Abby had some around one of her palms and Jim had some over his one of his legs. “Abby!” said Helen. “So glad to see you again. You and Jim are okay, then?”

Abby slowly nodded as she stopped for a moment, seeing Helen and Emily, the two girl students from yesterday. It took her awhile to realize it, but she remembered that they'd been the ones to clue her into the fact that Jim had been taken off-campus, and had led to her finding him at Fran's home. She held her hands out in front of them and responded towards them. “Yeah. We both got hurt a little bit, but we're doing alright. Jim went through a lot yesterday, but that was yesterday and this is today. For the moment, we're doing just fin--”

“Oh, my god! What happened to you, Jim?! What did she do?! What did--!” Emily had nearly freaked out when she saw Jim in bandages. Her worries had all come flying back to her as soon as she saw that he was injured. She shouldn't have been surprised. She had seen Fran drop him inside her own boot as she took him home. He had to go on a ride with her feet, ankle, and legs. That would, obviously, be a rough ride for anyone. Helen had quickly stepped in and gripped her shoulder. “Calm down, Emily. He's fine.”

Abby had blinked, surprised at Emily's reaction to this. Couldn't she see he was just fine? He was standing up in her palm, looking at her as Emily's hand came forward, coming close to Abby's hand. He'd been sitting between Melinda and Sarah in Abby's hand and he slowly walked to a fingertip. Reaching out, he softly patted his hand on top of Emily's crimson-painted fingernail and smiled up towards her as he rested his hand there. “Hi, Emily. How's your ankle doing?” He sounded honestly concerned, more about her than himself.

“Oh, I'm...I'm doing fine, Jim.” Helen then patted Emily on the back, loosening her grip on her shoulder. “See? You're all worried over nothing at all. There's nothing wrong here, and everyone is just fine, right?” Her eyes went to Abby and her three little friends as she asked that question, to which they all lost their optimistic looks. “Well, actually...” started Abby, remembering the situation at hand and what could be coming. Helen looked a little confused as Sarah and Melinda stood, joining Jim at the edge of Abby's hand. “We might have a little problem on our hands right now...” said Sarah, getting ready to explain the situation to the two cheerleader Larges.