- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Melinda and Sarah stay back, listening to the emotional conversation between Abby and Jim...

Sarah and Melinda had stopped when they heard some of the things that Jim and Abby were saying to one another. Especially from the mentioning of “my little Jim” and speaking of people who hate others and people who don't hate others. There was a tree nearby, where Melinda yanked Sarah to. Sarah had been caught by surprise and nearly yelped, had it not been for Melinda putting her hand over her mouth as she dragged her over there. By the time Sarah had turned herself around, they were behind the tree and Melinda had a smile on her face, giving her a hushing gesture.

Sarah pulled the hand away from her face and started whispering to her, questioning why she was just yanked and pulled behind a tree. She pushed towards Melinda, pushing her into the tree. “W-What are you doing?! We need to tell them about what happened! They right there and--” “...and it sounds like they're having a very emotional conversation” said Melinda, calmly and sternly. She didn't seem very worried about pulling the two of them behind a tree, at all. In fact, she seemed more worried about what they were talking about than telling them about the radio incident.

She put her hands on Sarah's shoulders and continued, expressing that they should just stick to the sidelines for now. “Listen to them for a moment, Sarah. Can't you tell they're having a heart-to-heart? Something's obviously bothering Jim to death, and she's trying to help him with it. If we rush in there, right now, we're going to completely ruin that moment. I know you want to let them know, and I do too, but please, just wait a little while longer. They've been through a lot these past couple days. Don't we owe that to them, at least?”

Sarah let out a quick sigh and looked into Melinda's eye, smiling a little. The woman had a way of affecting her. Ever since they'd had a moment earlier and slept together in the Infirmary, Melinda had seemed a little different to Sarah. She seemed to be able to influence her a lot easier and she seemed to make a lot more sense than she did before. Maybe Melinda was always like this, and she just hadn't noticed. Closing her eyes, she pushed herself forward, against Melinda. “Alright, but just a few minutes.” Melinda wrapped her arms around Sarah, giving her a brief hug as she thanked her for that, and began to listen to what was going on between Abby and Jim.

“Abby, I...of course I don't hate you.” said Jim, looking up towards his giant friend with a smile on his face. “You're been nothing but kind to me this entire two days. You've shown me around this place, welcomed me to campus, shared a lot about your own life with me, and you even saved my life last night.” Jim stared up at Abby's face as he realized what all she'd done for him. She really had done a lot. She'd even helped him become comfortable around other Larges. Although she hadn't been there with him the entire time, she helped make his experience at this place all the better.

A finger softly brushed over his head and he continued. “You've spent almost all of your time with me since the incident with Fran. You brought me to the Infirmary and stayed while the nurse patched me up. You took me away when Ruby had come and now, here we are, at your home, and you're treating me like I'm some sort of wonderful person, rocking me in a chair and listening to everything I'm telling you. You've done more for me in the past 2 days than anyone has done for me in my entire life. At least, the most that I can feel, other than simple touch.”

Jim thought deeply about what he had just said, and it was all the truth. Although Ruby had helped him a lot in the past, none of it felt quite like what he felt right now. His emotions were all swirling around as he was held in Abby's hand, her finger brushing against his head, being loved on and cared for. Ruby had never done anything like this for him. Abby was different. He started to feel like Abby was becoming something a little more than just his friend, despite how short of a time they'd known each other. Finding her finger, Jim latched onto it and let his lips graze against it. “Thank you, Abby. You're the sweetest person I've ever met and, despite all the chaos of the past two days, I'm glad to have met you.”

All three of the others went into a quick surprising moment as they heard what Jim had just said and done. Abby, in particular, got more red in her cheeks than she thought was possible. Hearing Jim coming out to her like this, saying that she was the sweetest person he'd ever met meant a lot to her, and she immediately felt her heart rate picking up it's pace. Her breathing got a little deeper and she moved her lips to create a smile. “Jim...I'm...glad I met you, too. I'm really glad we're here, and we have time to be together, alone, away from everyone else. I...”

Abby stopped herself mid-sentence. There were many thoughts going through her mind, but she wasn't sure it was right to come out like this. She wasn't sure if it would be right to spill out her feelings while Jim was married. She thought for a moment, until Jim clenched tighter on her finger, catching her attention away from those doubtful thoughts. “You...what, Abby? You can tell me. You let me tell you what was bothering me. Please, tell me what's on your mind. You can tell me anything. You know your secrets are safe with me.”

Abby was grinning bigger and bigger with the more time that was passing by. She giggled for a moment and brought Jim closer to her face. She let her lips softly graze across his body before bringing her lips next to his head. “Jim..I...I think I love yo--” As soon as Abby was getting the words out, Sarah had slipped on a leaf on the ground and both she and Melinda screamed as they fell from the tree, to the base of the porch. The blow had hurt her head a little, not knowing how, exactly it had happened. One minute, they were listening and close to one another and the next, they'd tripped and fallen.

“Ouch...” said Sarah as she picked herself up. She was scratching at the back of her head, but immediately stopped, realizing that both Abby and Jim were looking down at them. Quickly grabbing Melinda and pulling her next to her, she called up to her. “H-Hi, Abby! We've, uh...been looking for you!” They both smiled and started climbing up the porch steps, realizing they'd just completely ruined a wonderful moment, seeing no reason not to come forward and talk about what they'd come there for...