- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Fran starts thinking about what she can do, but then remembers a rather unsettling memory of when she'd first met Abby...

Fran had been thinking for a good while on what to do about Jim and Abby. There were a lot of ideas popping into her head that might have been good, but then again, they might not have been good, at the same time. She could make them something, cook them something, or she could always go and try to buy them both something, as an apology. Nothing she thought of seemed good enough, though. No matter how she looked at it, nothing she thought of seemed like it was fantastic enough to fit with an apology for something as big as what she'd done.

Another problem was getting gifts for both of them. Abby was a Large and Jim was a Minor. Two people of completely different heights were hard to shop for. Fran was too big to carrying around stuff that would be small enough to give to Jim. His entire body was no bigger than her index finger, so things to give to him would be even smaller than that. It was simply a hard situation, and she didn't know what she was going to do. She started thinking about everything and was starting to think that she shouldn't get them anything at all.

“Maybe this...isn't the right thing to do. Maybe gifts isn't the right approach to doing this with them...” she spoke to herself, thinking about things and about how forgiveness works. She had been on the idea that if she'd gotten the two of them some fantastic gift, that they'd forgive her for what she'd done to them. Would it really be that easy, though? Would Abby and Jim be able to forgive her for hurting them both and nearly killing Jim from receiving a bag of baked cookies or a giant teddy bear that says “I'm Sorry”? The more she thought about it, the more she thought that just wouldn't happen, at all.

She leaned her forehead and eyes into her left palm as she let out a sigh, hitting another dead-end on her 'quest' to finding the perfect gift for them. “This just...isn't working. If I can't get them a gift, then what am I supposed to do? How do I get them to forgive me?” Her brain was straining, harder and harder. She wanted them to forgive them, badly. She wanted to make up for all of those bad things she'd done to them, but she just didn't know how. As her brain strained, she started thinking about forgiveness and thought about something Abby had told her, when they had first met.

Fran's first day at Large n Minor University had been a bad one. No sooner had she gotten onto campus had she gotten hungry and the medication her parents had given her had kicked in. Fran's parents, while no one knew them very well, were bad at giving their daughter medication for her spontaneous behavior. Unfortunately for Fran, they didn't take prescription medication from a doctor. They got drugs and medication from anywhere they could find, to get any sort of medication, or what they thought was medication to give to her. This day was a day where they found out the bad results of getting random medication from random people.

That morning, Fran had taken a new kind of pill, given to her by her parents before they'd moved out of the house, down to another district. She didn't know what kind of medication it was, but they told her it would help her, so she believed them and took it. Little did she, or they know, that the pill wasn't medication at all. It was laces with some sort of Hallucinogen that would make her first day on campus a very strange one. Things were going well at first. She met the Dean, a few of her professors, and she'd been making a fairly good impression, having fun at her new school, seeing all of the her-sized faculty and students, and all of the smaller ones.

As the day went on, however, the pill started to take effect and she started to think very strange thoughts. As she was wandering around campus, during her free time, she ended up walking towards the cafeteria building, her stomach growling from not having eaten anything that morning, other than a pill. It wasn't anywhere near lunch time yet, but she wanted to go up there and see if she could get some food, anyways. Approaching the cafeteria building, her vision started to get a little foggy. As she made it up to the building, she fell to her knees and looked around at it.

Blinking violently, she saw the building, but her mind began to get clouded from the pill. The borders of her vision were white, as if they were glowing, and all she saw was that sandwich-shaped building. It was a lot smaller then than it is now. The university hadn't the funds to create a full-sized cafeteria, so the building back then was basically only a small kitchen, where students could come around the outside windows to pick up their food. The entire building was only about 25 feet long or so. The smaller building size was a mistake that they would regret.

Looking down at the building, Fran's clouded vision only saw what looked like a foot-long sub sandwich. “So...hungry...” she said, yanking the building from the ground and pulling it up towards her face. Screams and crashed could be heard below, as tables, chairs, grills, and everything else were tossed to the other side of the building as Fran had them all trapped, bringing the building closer and closer. One of the janitors was hanging onto a side window and saw her lips getting closer, letting out another scream as she saw her long, pink tongue showing itself. It crept out and slowly grazed over her lips as a loud gurgling sound could be heard from below, her stomach rumbling.

Fran was so hungry, she parted her lips, letting all those inside the building see those pearly white, crate-sized teeth, the soft, damp tongue that had licked on her lips, and the bottomless abyss that was her throat. One of them grabbed the phone and tried to alert the Dean before the power went out in the building. As soon as the phone had gone through, the entire building shook. The ceiling began caving in and the floor gave out as they saw those gigantic teeth crashing through the building. The man hanging onto the window let go, just in time, the teeth crashing through the floor mere inches in front of him. He slid down, with some debris and hit the wall on the opposite side of the building.

Everyone was panicking as they saw Fran taking bite after bite of the cafeteria building, somehow able to chew up and satisfy her stomach with electrical cords, bricks, and all the other materials of the building. Before long, there was much left to the building, but a small section, where all of the chefs, janitors, and Minor student volunteers were huddled together. They saw her mouth coming forward and they screamed, but the building shook from around them and Fran's mouth disappeared, the ground taking it's place. They all sprinted out of the building as fast they could, trying to get out and cope with what had happened.

As they ran, scared, a younger Abby was shown, grabbing onto Fran's shoulders, shaking her. “What do you think you're doing?! You could have eaten those workers! You ATE the cafeteria! What are you thinking?!” Fran, not knowing what happened, just stared into the girl's eyes, showing her dilated pupils. Abby took her home that night and found out what had happened. Afterward, Fran realized what she'd done and had tried hard to apologize to the workers she had unknowingly 'terrorized'. The workers didn't forgive her easily, though. She baked them food, bought them gifts, and everything else, but it didn't help them at all.

She had spoken with Abby about it, which she said... “Fran, was it? You have got to realize that forgiveness does not come with a gift. Forgiveness doesn't come with roses or cookies or any sort of tangible object. Forgiveness takes time and effort. You can't make someone forgive you by showering them with gifts. It can only be obtained by trying hard to be friendly with them and show them that you are truly sorry about what happened. Anyone can go and get gifts once they realize they did something wrong. You must be more careful with what you throw into that body of yours from now on. Whenever your parents send you medication, come and see me. Let me see if it's good for you or not, okay? Be your kind self and they will forgive you, in time.”

Back in the present, Fran was thinking about what Abby had told her, that long time ago. She couldn't give them gifts to gain forgiveness. She just had to...show them that she was sorry. Getting up and slipping on a pair of boots and a black jacket, she spoke to herself. “I have to show them that I'm sorry for what I've done. I need to go to both of them and apologize right now. No gifts. Just me, and my feelings. I have to work to gain their forgiveness, and I need to start with it right now.”

Fran headed out the door, unaware of what she was about to walk into when she got back to campus...