- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Janet rides in the truck, thinking about a lot of things this day has shown her...

Janet's short hair was perfectly still, even with the wind blowing against her. It had not taken the soldiers long to finish assembling the device and fit it onto the back of the truck. She had been watching them fumble with the pieces, though she never said a word about the actual assembly of it, or offered to help them. She just sat on a small 'bench' on the inside of the truck bed and watched them perform the assembly. Even without her help, it had taken them less than an hour to finish the assembly and get themselves on the move.

The truck was moving very slowly through the streets of the city. A large tarp had been placed over the machine and, due to the lack of proper shocks in the truck, they had to go at a very slow speed, so as to not dislodge any part of the machine. Traveling at a good 15 miles per hour through town, the AL Soldiers' new mission would not take place for awhile. Their destination, Large n Minor University was several miles away, and they would have a lot of intersections and busy streets to go through before being able to get there.

One of the soldiers looked over, as he rode next to the device, and saw Janet staring at the floorboards, as if her mind was distracted on something. “What's eatin' you?” he asked, to which he got no response, whatsoever. Janet didn't care about him right now. He didn't care about any of them. Her mind was, indeed, distracted, by the very reason that caused her to want to come with them so badly. Within her mind were the mental images of what she'd witnessed in that lab. In her mind was something that was scratching at her, making her doubt a lot of things.

She thought long and hard about the experiment. After she and Jessica had returned to the main room of the laboratory, everyone was ready to proceed with the experiment. Their test subject was, in actuality, a Large woman. They'd had this person in 'captivity' for nearly a year. She'd been kept in that cage all that time, being fed food and water daily to keep her alive. It truly was a torturous scenario, to be honest. Janet had not agreed with keeping her caged up down there, but the administration insisted that she was overreacting by thinking the woman should be allowed to be out of the cage.

The idea for the experiment had come along, which Janet went along with. The idea was to fix the problem that Larges posed. It was, obviously, the fact that they were a great deal “Larger” than most people. The goal of the experiment was to see if it was possible to fix this issue, and cause enough Molecular compression in a single Large's body to miniaturize their cells and thus, the rest of them. This was not the first suggestion for the experiment, though. The first few ideas had to deal with killing the larges, but she fought to find a solution that would be less violent.

In the best-case scenario, they would be able to introduce a 'field' to the Large's body, which would compress their cells, eventually reducing their overall size about 1/16th scale, rendering their overall height the same as that of a Minor. This would, effectively, eliminate the threat posed by the Larges' overall height and they would become “normal”, like everyone else. Some people were opposed to this idea, but the voting went for this. If they were to get their reputation back, as an organization, mass-killing the Large population was not the right direction to go.

By the time the experiment came around, Janet had mixed feelings. Despite giving the order to proceed with the experiment earlier that day, she felt some level of compassion with that woman in the cage. Were the experiment successful, she would be a normal person, just like her. She would have normal feelings, a normal job, normal everything. The fact that she could so easily go from being a freak to a normal person made Janet think for awhile. If she would only go through a physical change, what stopped her from being like a normal person at her towering height? Were Larges really that much different from Minors?

The thoughts plagued her as the device fired off the field and engulfed the person in the cage. She felt a tug in her chest, almost wishing she could go back on what she'd ordered, but she knew she couldn't. She walked forward as the experiment went on, trying to see what was going on, wondering what that tall woman was feeling, at that moment. She'd been whimpering and crying before the experiment took place. What was she feeling right now, and what would she be feeling when it was over? Janet would soon find out.

A loud scream could be heard from the laboratory as the experiment ended. A cloud of smoke filled the cage, and Janet stuck by it, to see what happened. Coming up to the cage, she even put her hands up to the bars as the smoke cleared. She looked as she saw the same woman from before, only now...the experiment had worked. She was standing in the middle of the cage. The two traded glances, though the red-haired woman was shaking, violently, covering her chest and crotch, walking towards where Janet was standing. She came up to her, and looked at her, blinking, before removing her hand, running her fingers on Janet's.

Janet felt the warm fingers on her and she clenched the woman's hand with her own. The woman came up to the edge of the cage and looked her in the eyes, tears running down her face. “W-Why?” she said. “Why did you...do this to me? Why did you take my life away from me?” Janet didn't understand what the woman meant. She tilted her head a little, confused. The woman then continued. “How can I...ever go back to my family like this? What could I possibly say....to my little girl? What would...they think? Why....”

Janet didn't know what to say to her. Something struck her, at that moment. She thought about her own family and what would happen if she was suddenly changed and tried to go back to them. Those thoughts of the Larges being just as much people as Minors came back to her, plaguing her mind. She felt for this woman. She felt a connection with her. The more she looked into this woman's eyes, the more she saw someone like herself in it.

Back on the truck, her mind was distracted on a lot of things. The soldier in the back would never understand what she was going through. She wasn't sure what she could do, but she wanted to do...something.