- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Helen and Emily come to a compromise about her wanting to go back to campus...

“You're not going anywhere!” These words rang through Emily's head as she was pulled to the ground. There had been a tight grip onto her ankle, pulling and pushing the anklet she wore into her sock and her foot. Getting out of the house to go take a walk wasn't going to be an easy task for Emily. She, honestly, should have realized that it wouldn't be so simple as to just get out of bed and walk out the door. She knew Helen was watching out for her, and she'd honestly thought the woman was still asleep. Sure, she'd taken a good fall, but she looked like she was asleep!

Unfortunately for Emily and her desires to leave, Helen wasn't asleep. She had dozed off when she'd put her head against the back of the bed, but that fall had woken her up. Her eyes had bolted open when she hit the ground, but she didn't say a word when it happened. She just closed her eyes, trying to get some more rest. She was tired out and didn't care if she had a bump on her head. She just wanted to get some sleep after taking care of Emily for so long. As she'd been trying to drift back off, she heard Emily moving. A fruity scent had come into her nose as she'd opened her eyes, seeing the injured, bare foot right in front of her. After Emily had giggled, Helen reached for her socked foot, not about to let her leave.

As Emily fell and impacted the ground, she landed on her front side and ached all over. She groaned and whimpered as she mutter a weakened “Ouch...”, reacting to being yanked down and practically thrown onto the floor. It didn't take her long to get back to strength to get back up. Her arms still hurt from the fall, as did her injured leg, but she thought she'd be able to push back up, at least to talk to Helen about wanting to leave and feeling better. She was sure Helen wasn't in a talking mood, but you never know until you try, right?

No sooner had Emily's palms touched the floor, trying to push her body off the ground had something hit her back, forcing her back down. She felt heat coming down into her neck as she felt a body on top of her own. She looked to the side and saw Helen's face, right next to her own, a little pressure as she was laying right on top of Emily. Emily felt as if she were stuck to the ground, not able to get up or move at all. She looked back at Helen and heard her speak to her. “Going somewhere, Emily?”

Emily let out a deep sigh as she realized she'd been caught and she probably wouldn't be allowed to be going anywhere, in this condition. Calming her body down, she just rested against the ground, trying her best to breathe with Helen's body weighing down on her. She knew what she wanted to say, and she knew what she should say, but she couldn't decide which she really would end up saying. She wanted, very much, to go back to campus to see how Jim was doing. They didn't know what happened to him. At the same time, however, she knew she needed to stay in bed, in case she wasn't fully healed yet.

This was a hard decision to make. After a moment, Helen started to get up, whispering in her ear as she did so. “I told you, Emily, you need to stay in bed. I understand that you're feeling better, and I understand you wanting to see how everyone is doing. Trust me, I know that all too well. I just don't want to risk you getting sick again” She got up and sat on the floor, next to Emily. Emily began to speak to her, as she began to help her into a sitting position as well. “I don't...want to see how they're doing, Helen...I need to.”

Sporting a very confused look on her face, Helen put her hand on Emily's shoulder, looking into her distant, quivering eyes. “You...need to? Why, Emily? Why do you need to go and see how they're doing. You were just sick from an infection! You need to put your own needs in front of others. Everyone will still be there tomorrow, if you wait one more day to get better. Your health needs to come first, to you. I understand that other people are important to you, but seeing how someone is doing isn't more important than your own health! Do you, honestly, want to be on your way there and--”

“Yes, I do! I need to! His health is more important than mine! I feel just fine! I've been trying to tell you this for awhile, Helen. I'm all better!” Emily's face was starting to get red as she spoke up and began a rant towards the woman who had been taking care of her. “I can walk, I can talk, I can be up and about, and I'm not sick anymore! I don't need to stay in bed anymore!” Helen could tell the girl was flustered, and that she was worried about that man, Jim. Convincing this girl to stay in bed would be no easy task. While she did look a lot better, a sickness can always make a return visit.

Letting out a sigh, she nodded towards Emily, admiring her conviction. “Okay, Emily...we'll play this your way. You can go back to campus, but only if you let me come along with you. You must also agree that the first small sign that you're getting sick again, you will agree to turn right around and go back home to get better. How does that sound?”

Emily wasn't hugely fond of the idea of going there, part-way, and turning around, but it was better than nothing. She nodded towards her and agreed. “Thanks, Helen. I agree. Now, let's get going!” The two of them helped each other up and headed out of the bedroom, through the house, and out the door, Large n Minor University their destination.