- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Janet converses in the lounge with a younger scientist, before going to start her experiments...

Janet's short, blonde hair was as still as a mime as she walked down the stairs, into a small room the scientists used as a lounge. It was connected to the testing area, where the observation room was, and housed the normal lounge equipment. There was a refrigerator, microwave, pantry, and a few booth-filled tables, where the staff could sit down for meals and chat with one another. Her lab coat was covering up a white button-up shirt and a pair of white dress pants. She sat down in one of the booths and crossed her right leg over the left, dangling her feet as she thought about the information she'd just been fed.

Captain Hayes had always been a person to jump into things rather quickly. He wanted things done quick and fast, not slow and efficient. She would, oftentimes, question why she still worked for the organization. Deep down, she knew why. No one ever quit the AL organization. No one that she knew of, anyways. Rumors flew around, every so often, about people wanting to leave, and not being allowed to, for whatever reason. She shook her head on this thought and sent the desire to leave this place out of her mind. Even if she didn't like some of her superiors, it got her a good paycheck.

Money. That's what Janet was in this organization for. She could care less about what happened to the Larges, at this point. She, in no way, enjoyed their company, but at the same time, she realized that they were hardly hostile people. It had been years since any incidents with Larges, and Janet knew very well that most of the incidents that did happen weren't the fault of the Larges, but people like this organization who tried to force them away from civilization. She never made it apparent to her co-workers, but Janet could see why the government was trying to re-incorporate Larges back into society. She didn't agree with being around them, but she also knew that they were an important part of human history.

People like Hayes didn't care about that, though. Janet knew that all he wanted was to make sure all of this huge 'freaks' were put in their rightful place. He's the reason they started this project, in the first place. It wasn't because of the good of science, and the ease that society would be able to have, were it to work and be implemented on a global scale. It was because Hayes wanted to get rid of the threat those tall people posed. He'd hated them, from the day he was born, and Janet was sure that if he had access to this weapon, he would not hesitate to pull the trigger on even the gentlest of Larges.

Janet sighed as she heard footsteps coming from nearby. One of her colleagues, another woman scientist, by the name of Jessica Moore, had come into the room. Dressed much like Janet, she sat down on the booth across from Janet's, pushing her black bangs towards her ears. Jessica was a sight. She had an athletic figure, and glossy black hair, leading all the way down to her stomach. The youngest member of the team, Jessica was only 19 years old, compared to Janet's 31. Janet had always seen Jessica's figure and told her she belonged in a fashion magazine, not an underground laboratory.

As she sat down, she looked at Janet, with a look of worry on her face. There was a moment of pause before Janet spoke. “Good afternoon, Jessica.” She sighed as she could probably guess what the girl was about to say, and then she did. “Good...afternoon, Miss Ristle. The expression on your face makes me think that you have some bad news for the team. What did he say?” Janet looked at Jessica momentarily, grinning a little at the girl's polite way of acting towards her. Jessica had looked up to Janet since the day she joined the organization, which hadn't been that long ago. From the 2 months before, Janet had been Jessica's personal mentor, getting her up to speed on what they were doing and what lied ahead for them.

Putting her hand on Jessica's, she let her voice take on a serious tone. She looked at her, both pairs of eyes, blue from Jessica and green from Janet, meeting as she spoke. “He wanted to know if it was ready. It seems there was an incident last night, a kidnapping.” Jessica's expression took a turn towards confusion as she spoke back to her. “Kidnapping?! Wait, you don't mean...” Nodding Janet confirmed Jessica's suspicions. “Yes, I do. I don't know the specifics, but it involved a Large. Hayes is taking this very seriously. We may have to put the experiment into use any day now.”

Jessica's eyes flew open as she put her other hand on the table, slapping it down. “WHAT?! You, of all people, know how experimental this is right now! I've been with me, every step of the way, and you know we're just now getting to the point of testing this thing! We can't take this thing out of a laboratory yet. We haven't even tested it!” Jessica's face was getting red, but Janet pushed down on her hand as she tried to calm the girl down. “I know, Jessica! I know. It wasn't my call. For now, we just have to get ready, as best we can, and get it as far as possible before he decides to mobilize this plan of his. Is the...test subject ready?”

Jessica tried to calm down as both she and Janet got up and started walking back through the door, avoiding the stairs and walking into the testing area, where the large object was. “Yes, Miss Janet. She is ready.” The two of them walked next to the huge machine and looked forward. On the other side of the room was an enormous steel cage, easily the size of a building, all in itself. Inside, through the steel bars, was a person. A large, with dirtied, long red hair was curled up in a ball, whimpering as she looked at everything going on around them.

Janet almost couldn't stand the sight of this. She looked at the ground for a moment and waved towards one of the other scientists. “Proceed with the experiment.”