- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Captain hayes rides an elevator down 12 levels, to the true complex of the warehouse in the middle of the city, to check on an experiment...

Hayes had been walking down the metal hallway for quite some time before finding the elevator that went down into the -real- place that the warehouse was hiding. The AL Soldiers weren't just a few small groups that had ransacked a warehouse and made it into a small little 'base of operations'. It was much, much more than that. More than some of it's own members knew, in fact. There were many secrets to this organization. Some people could even say that their secrets had secrets. There was that much going on in the organization, at any given time.

As he came to the end of a hall, the elevator dinged and created a deep, scratching noise as the two steel doors slowly opened up, revealing the inside of the elevator, a poster of the organization's logo on the back 'wall' of this place. Steadily walking inside, Hayes turned and looked into a small speaker-like interface. Within moments the two steel doors had closed themselves and a mechanical voice spoke into the room. “Voice Recognition, please.” As the voice stopped, he spoke to it. “Tom Hayes. Rank: Captain” He took a quiet breath as he adjusted his hat and awaited the confirmation of his voice from the speaker.

Almost immediately, there was another high-pitched ding from the elevator as the mechanical voice continued it's normal protocols, recognizing the man's voice. “Welcome, Captain Hayes. What is your destination?” This voice-activated system was definitely state-of-the-art. Some people would kill to have technology like this. It was, however, only a small piece of what the AL had in their complex. They had a lot more than they led the public to believe, and the world would soon know just what they had access to. Some of it was good, and some of it was bad, depending on your point of view on this matter.

“B12, Science Lab” replied Captain Hayes, a specific destination in mind for this trip. It wasn't often that he got a chance to go all the way to the bottom level of their complex, and every time he did, it was a matter of utmost importance. Based on what he'd just heard through that radio transmission, this was definitely one of those times. He needed to know if the 'experiment' was ready for deployment, or would be soon. They needed to make their move, and they needed to do it soon. Some fears that the organization had could be coming to light very soon, and they also needed to do something about Ruby.

A crank-like sound made itself apparent as the speaker recognized his command and the elevator began moving downwards. “Yes, sir. We will arrive at B12, Science Lab, momentarily. Please be patient and enjoy the ride.” The trip down towards the bottom level was a slow one. There was a lot of space to this complex. In their time in the City, the AL organization had been able to build a substantially complex facility, right underneath the city. There were catacombs all around, underground, from the old days, where people went into hiding, from various threats. The AL force discovered these catacombs and fashioned them into their own special complex.

There were 13 levels to this place. The top level was the warehouse, which held “Mission Control”, where the soldiers had all of their computer labs and monitoring equipment, for their operatives that were given auto-transmitting radios. Below the warehouse were 12 “Basement” floors, all underground. Hundreds of feet down, all owned and operated by that organization. There were R&D floors, a floor for a Lounge, and much, much more. The bottom floor, however, was the most important. The bottom floor housed a small science lab, where the organization had been doing research on an experiment that would give them an amazing advantage against the “Large threat”, were they do complete it.

As the elevator reached it's destination, the two doors opened up, leading Captain Hayed into a single, steel-covered hallway. As he entered, he could hear muffled footsteps and pounding noises, coming from the floors above him. The further down you got in this place, the more echoes and noises you could hear. At the end of the hall was a pair of 2-way doors, which led to the main laboratory for this facility. Hayes went through the doors, revealing a small observatory. The room housed computers on either side, along with a set of chairs in front of a large glass window.

This place was used to observe experiments. There was a scientist, dressed in a lab coat, turning towards Hayes as he walked in. She had extremely short, blonde hair and she adjusted her glasses as he approached. She looked at him and straightened her posture. “Captain! What brings you down here today? I thought the inspection was for anoth-” “Save the pleasantries, Janet. I'm on official business. Surely you got my message before I came down here? Asking about the progress of the experiment?” Hayes gave Dr. Janet Ristle a serious look, which made her arms get goosebumps.

“W-well...of course we did, sir! I just...it's not ready! We're just now getting to the testing phase! We need months to be able to see if it even works and to perfect the formula!” She was, unfortunately, rudely interrupted by the Captain. “We don't have that kind of time, Janet. There was an incident last night. A kidnapping. We need that weapon finished NOW! You have 24 hours to perfect it. That's when we're shipping out. Have a nice day.”

As Captain Hayes turned and left, Janet looked through the window and saw a bunch of scientists looking up at her, next to a large, pointed machine, all looking a little nervous. She knew things couldn't be done in that amount of time. The calculations needed for this kind of experiment were very precise. She only hoped they would get lucky in the next 24 hours. Otherwise, would they have to use a weapon that they didn't even have working?