- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sarah starts freaking out at the radio, only to have Melinda trying to calm her down, in her own way...

Both Sarah and Melinda were starting to sweat as they stared at the radio that sat on the counter. They'd both heard the words that had come over it, but didn't want to believe it, at all. As the lights on it dimmed to a stop, Sarah's hands were shaking. So many fears were running through her mind, at that moment. If there had been some sort of transmission being sent from the radio, had it been recording what was happening in the room? There was also the matter of who this transmission was being sent to. Every answer that came into Sarah's head scared her to death.

In the back of her mind, she knew who that transmission was going to. She knew, all too well. The radio had been attached to Ruby. That could mean only one thing: The AL Soldiers had her wired. They probably heard the entire scuffle that had happened in the Infirmary. This might have just been the event they needed to try to find a way to take down the University. Still, the scuffle between Ruby and Sarah wouldn't be enough to go public or anything. It was just a small cat fight. Sarah almost let out a sigh of relief, but soon remembered what else had happened in the room before that radio had turned itself off.

She gasped as her hands started quivering more violently. She had, not that long before, sat down, near where that radio was, and told Melinda the entire story about how Jim came into the hospital. The kidnapping, the injuries, everything. Now, if that transmission was sent to the AL Soldiers, they had everything they could possibly need to throw something against the school, in the media. This was bad, extremely bad. It was so bad that Sarah didn't know what to do. She back up, into the wall and slowly slid down until she was sitting on the ground.

“W-What am I gonna do?! This is terrible! It can't be happening!” Sarah's palms flew up into her face as she shook her head, obviously claiming responsibility over what just happened. “I was so stupid! The radio was right there and I fed them everything they could have wanted. The very people I need to protect...I've just...” Sarah was starting to get more and more emotional. The more she thought about the situation with the radio, the more she began to blame herself for whatever might follow. She fed the radio that information. It was her fault.

Her whimpering was soon halted by something, though. She didn't stop weeping, but she soon felt her body being moved. She gasped and moved her hands to see that Melinda was down, on the floor, just like she was. Sitting next to her, Melinda was pulling Sarah towards her. The woman had a sad look on her face, seeing and hearing the pain Sarah was going through. Before Sarah knew what was happening, her head was laying in Melinda's lap. She looked up at the now-smiling face of her friend and felt her nerves letting off chills as Melinda's bare hand was starting to rub and stroke down her hair.

“M-Mel...” said Sarah, not knowing how to approach this situation. She was half-freaked out about the radio, but this sudden action of Melinda's took her by surprise. Why did she sit down and pull her head into her lap? Why was she stroking against her hair? Why was she doing any of the things she was doing? Sarah didn't get a straight answer right away, but she did receive something from Melinda. As she was lying on the floor, her head laying into the lap of her friend, Mel started to speak to her, talking to her.

“Shhh...” whispered Mel, trying to get Sarah to calm down and be as quiet as possible. She knew, all too well, that the odds would be against them and the situation was grim. However, she couldn't stand to see Sarah like that. Every fiber in her being told her that she needed to be there for her, as much as she possibly could. “There, there, Sarah. I know this seems frightening and stressing, but you just need to calm down. Sit here, and rest against me for awhile. We can take care of this situation in a few minutes. But, your health should come first. Don't over-worry yourself. Just let Mel take care of you, for right now.”

“Mel...I don't...know what to say...” Sarah was a little shocked at everything Melinda was doing. It was so caring and gentle. She wanted to get up and continue going crazy over the radio situation, but the soft touch that Melinda had against her was soothing her and telling her to stay put. She didn't want to leave, and Mel was telling her not to. “You don't have to say anything, Sarah. Just stay right here, with me. Try to send your worries away for awhile. Enjoy my presence, as I am enjoying yours. Close your eyes and rest. You've more than earned it.”

Sarah was almost hypnotized by Melinda's words. They were almost enchanting to her. Although just words, Sarah was moved by them. She smiled and let out a quick nod and pushed up against Mel. Helping her up, Melinda pulled Sarah up against her as she pushed herself against the wall. Soon, she had positioned Sarah's face against her chest. Her arms were wrapped around Sarah's stomach, holding her there, against her, as the Nurse was drifting off to sleep.

As the important events were playing in Melinda's head, she pushed them away, for now. She'd now been able to do something she had wanted to do for a very long time. She simply helped onto Sarah and leaned her head down, softly pushing her lips against the Nurse's face, kissing it. “Sweet dreams, my Sarah. When you wake up, we'll fix this mess. You and me, as a team.” Melinda got a huge smile on her face and her cheeks were starting to get a little red as she held Sarah against her, snuggling her head against her chest.