- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Helen thinks back on Emily's actions from the night before while Sarah and Melinda discover something in the Infirmary room...

Helen had taken no time in finding the soup in Emily's house and getting it into a large coffee mug, warming up for her. Since the houses in this district were so similar, in design, to her own, it had not taken her very long to find where she kept her food. She also wanted to get this stuff made as quick as possible. As much as Emily was appreciating all of the care she gave her, Helen knew that the girl had a very strong will, a will strong enough to push past injuries and illness. It had not been easy to get the girl home the night before.

Emily had passed out soon after Helen had gotten to her, but her will was shown right then and on the way home. The girl, despite had an injury in her ankle that the Minor, Jim, had somehow managed to patch up, pushed herself very hard to try to go and help him when he'd been taken. She wanted to help this man very badly, no doubt to repay him for helping her. The man had done a world of good for her, from what Helen could tell.

On the way back, Helen pretty much got the whole story in little segments of muttering as Emily slept. Helen had pieced together that she had badly injured her ankle and, despite being hurt, himself, Jim came forward and befriended her, helping her patch up that wound. It was an amazing thing, to be sure. There were a lot of nice folks around the world, but not many people would have been able to fight off an injury, just to help someone else with theirs. She'd never met the man, but she could understand the respect both Emily and Abby had for him.

The beeping of the stove had pulled Helen out of her trip through Memory Lane. The soup was finally ready. Taking the soup and pouring it into the mug, she grabbed a small towel and started walking back towards the bedroom, where Emily was in bed, hopefully. Helen knew the girl had a strong will, so if she wanted to go and see Jim, instead of being well-rested, she had to be ready to stop her and keep her from getting even more sick than she already was. As she made her way back into the bedroom, she saw that Emily was sitting on the side of the bed, looking out the window.

Helen came next to her and set the soup down on a night stand. She looked Emily in the eyes, which seemed to be staring out into space. Putting her hand on her forehead, she said “Emily, what's the matter?” Emily didn't say anything at all. She just sat there and stared out into space. Helen could guess what she was probably thinking about, and she couldn't let her leave. Slowly, pushing Emily back into a laying position, she reached for the soup and tried to encourage her to stay in bed. “Let's get you back in bed so you can rest up. I have some soup for you.” Emily, without saying a word, blankly stared and accepted the mug of soup, slowly bringing it to her lips, her mind elsewhere.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Melinda and Sarah had been sitting next to one another for a good while now. They were just looking at both each other and at the restrained, unconscious Ruby. That tranquilizer would keep her down for a good while, but they both knew it wouldn't last forever. Eventually, she would be waking up and realizing what they'd done to her. She would, without a doubt, be very angry, and probably start screaming again. They both knew this was coming, and they knew they couldn't really stop it from happening, unless they just wanted to keep giving her tranquilizers or sedative to keep her under control.

Sarah had thought about this, but she knew that Melinda would never let her do something like that. Melinda cared too much for people, all people. It was very likely that the only reason she agreed to help put the straight-jacket on Ruby was because she'd hurt Sarah. It was no secret that Melinda had always cared about Sarah. Sarah was one of the only people who paid attention to and listened to Melinda. She'd probably felt worried about Sarah when that fight broke out and tranquilized the woman to protect her.

As Sarah considered her options, she started to get up from the bed, leaving the comfort of Melinda's arms and walked over towards the window, where Jim and Abby had left the Infirmary. She stood in front of it and sighed, looking out towards the fields and other buildings of the University. It was still relatively empty out there. She could see Abby walking around, way out there, but nothing else. She had yet to see any of the other Large students. Could it still have been that early in the morning? After taking a look at her watch, she realized it was.

Melinda soon joined her at the window and looked out there with her. She smiled as she looked off into the vastness of nature, and put her arm around Sarah's shoulders. Always the touchy one, Melinda. Whenever she was around someone that cared about her and she cared about, she wanted to touch them. She loved the feel of the warmth from that other person's skin or clothes. She liked having those she cared about closeby, at all times, and with as few people that cared back towards her, she took in all that she could get when she was around Sarah.

Their little moment was cut short, however, when a loud beeping sound came from behind them. Both of them turned around and heard that the beeping was coming from a small radio Sarah had placed on the table, that had come from Ruby. As they approached it, they realized it was emitting a bright, red light. The two looked at each other, confused, until it spoke “Battery running short. Transmission Terminating...” The two looked at each other again, a shiver going down Sarah's spine. “What did that just say?!”