- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

As Abby and Jim sit together in the field, Jim starts thinking about a few things he didn't want to let out in the Infirmary...

From the moment that Jim has, literally, latched onto Abby's finger, she felt that she needed to comfort him, more than she had been trying to beforehand. She had no idea what he had just been dreaming about, but something had terrified him enough to want to be around her, and not go back to that dream world. She stared down at him as she rubbed on him back with one of her fingers, slightly curious about what this dream might have entailed, but keeping her curiosity held back, realizing that if it had freaked him out this much, he may not have wanted to talk about it.

After she'd assured him that she wouldn't let anything happen to him, they sat there a little further, Jim taking in what Abby was giving him. He wasn't sure why, at the time, but after that dream, he wanted nothing, but to be close to her. She was his big, giant friend, the first friend he'd had at the University. She had always been so kind and caring towards him, and now, they were sharing many moments together as he recovered from his illness and the shock of having Ruby barging into the Infirmary and pulling the stunt she'd pulled.

Actually, Abby was probably one of his only friends, at all. Ever since Jim had gotten married to Ruby, she separated him from his old friends. He didn't have many friends from school, other than her, but she'd made sure that they moved away from where those friends were going. So, in essence, he didn't have any friends at all before the University came, and he met up with Abby, Fran, and Emily. Unfortunately, they were the kind of friends that would bring out the bad side in Ruby, and it did. She came into the University, raging made, and throwing around rumors and assumptions.

Jim had known about her hatred for Larges, but he never realized just how obsessed she was with it. He never thought he'd see the day where he was lying on a hospital bed, and she came there, with intentions other than just to see him. She had come to the Infirmary, not to see him, but to have an excuse to bash and throw out accusations on the Larges. He had tried to hold it back, but it lasted until just then, when he was in Abby's hand, looking up at her. Tears were rolling down his cheeks at the thought of his wife wanting to come to the Infirmary and completely ignoring him.

Why would she do something like that? Why would she be so obsessed with her own prejudice that she would completely ignore her husband's health? She'd just used his injury as a way to come in and start screaming at the people of the University about the Larges. When he'd seen her doing that, he wanted to get out of there, with Abby. He had never told Abby, but he wanted to get away both to keep Abby from Ruby's screaming, and to keep him from completely breaking down in the Infirmary.

Now was the time, though. There was no one else around, but Jim and Abby. There were no other students walking around this area of campus, so the tears had formed again and came forth. His face was buried in Abby's finger as he started whimpering and crying. He hugged onto Abby's finger as tight as he could as he cried out to her. “W-Why? Why did she do that?! Why did she have to come here for that reason?! Why did she...use me?!”

Abby wasn't quite sure what Jim meant by all of this. He had, out of the blue, started breaking down, after he had clenched onto her finger. She blinked and tilted her head to the side, confused about the situation. Was the dream still haunting him, or was it something else? She had no idea what was wrong, and she was almost afraid to ask and find out. She tried to pull Jim away from her finger, so she could talk to him, but it was relatively difficult to do, at first. He didn't want to let go of her, but he eventually felt the pressure pulling on him and did let go.

He sat in the middle of Abby's palm, tears running down his face, as she looked at him, for a moment. She was sitting up and had him held in front of her face. His eyes were quivering and he just stared up at her, as if he were waiting for something from her. Abby was planning on doing something, too. Using a finger, she patted Jim on the head and tried to give him a smile, past all of the worried looks that were plaguing her face and expressions. She was worried about him, and she was trying hard to make it look like she was strong and not getting emotional, herself.

“There, there. You're okay now. There are no bad people around anymore. No more bad dreams to haunt you. Just take a look around, Jim. No one else is here. It's just you and me, for right now. You have nothing to worry about, in my care. You know I won't let anything happen to you.” Jim sniffled a little and tried his best to nod towards Abby, agreeing with the situation. Being with her was getting more and more comforting all the time. Of all the people he knew, he felt the safest with her.

Abby let out a small grin as she saw Jim agreeing with her. After a moment, she actually started getting up from the field and walked off, towards another. “I'm worried about you, Jim. Worried about a lot of things, and I'd like you to tell me what's bothering you. Let's take a little walk, and you can tell me all about it. She kept her smile up at Jim as she held him, with both hands, against the top of her chest, making sure he wouldn't fall off anywhere.