- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

As Jim sleeps on Abby's chest, he is soon haunted by a nightmare that will bring him a little closer to his new friend...

A lot was going on everywhere, at that moment. There were plans being made, people getting well, and in the middle of the University, an injured man sleeping on top of his giant friend. Jim had spared no time in falling asleep upon being set down on Abby's chest and, for the first several hours, slept calmly, having a dreamless sleep. This, however, did not last forever. After those first several hours had been spent, a dream started to dwell in his mind, a dream that was the product of a lot of things he felt and would soon start to affect him in bigger ways than he could know.

He tossed and turned as the dream began. His eyes opened up and he was in an open field, lined with a steel fence at least 40 feet high. It was made like an alleyway, giving him about 10 or 15 feet between the two fences. He looked around and asked himself what he was doing there. He didn't think it was the University, since he saw no buildings, but it also didn't look like anyplace else he'd been in his entire life. Where was this place? From behind him, he hurt a sound. It was like footsteps. As he turned around, he saw the face of Ruby, his wife.

He approached her, wanting to know what was going on, but his questions fell on deaf ears as she pulled a knife from her pocket and lunged at him, screaming to him. He was so surprised by this sudden action from someone who was supposed to be his wife, he fell down, on his butt, the knife landing and impaling the ground mere inches from his foot. His eyes were bulging and he screamed, begging her to stop and tell him what was going on. To this, he only got screaming as she yanked the knife out of the ground and went towards him again.

He didn't know what to do. Was his wife trying to kill him, for some reason? If so, why? What reason would she possibly have to kill her own husband. He wanted to stay and find out, though he was shaking in fear, the fear that Ruby would actually go through with it. He definitely wanted to know what was going on, but not if it meant he would get stabbed and die from it. As she lunged towards him again, a voice echoed through the air, speaking “Run, Jim! You've got to run!”

Taking the voice's advice, he got up and jumped out of the way, just as the knife came down and impaled the ground again. He ran off, towards the voice at the other end of this 'alley'. He knew the voice, all too well. It was Abby, his giant friend, calling to him. She might have been the only other person around. He ran as fast as he could, noticing that he was no longer in casts and bandages. Shortly behind him was Ruby, trying to catch up as much as she could, that knife still in her hand. Jim didn't let her, though. He used all of his energy to move as fast as he could as Abby's voice kept speaking to him. “You can make it, Jim. I'll protect you.”

Jim felt butterflies in his stomach as he heard her say that she would protect him. Even in a dream, it was affecting both him and his feelings. He ran and ran, as fast he could, desperate to get away from Ruby. His wife hadn't said a word to him, but it was clear that she was trying to hurt him, if not kill him as well. He had no choice but to run to Abby and hope that she could get him away from this situation. As bad as it felt to be running from his own wife, he felt like this was the correct choice. It would, at the very least, give him a chance of not getting stabbed to death.

He kept on and on and on, until he could finally see his goal. Abby was kneeling down at the very edge of the fenced alleyway, her hands held out, as if to grab him and take him out of harm's way. His legs were burning from the run, but he knew he had to make it. He told himself that it was just a little further to safety. From behind him, he heard Ruby screaming at him, finally speaking words. “No! You get back here, right now! I love you, and I'll show you what happens for liking those big, Large freaks! Come here right now, Jim! It's time to take your medicine!”

Jim knew what that meant, and it wasn't good. At this time, however, he did not feel like he wanted to be around Ruby. He wanted to be around Abby, with Abby. His heart pounded and told him he needed to go to Abby. Finally reaching the end and jumping towards Abby's palms, he saw Ruby jumping towards him, aiming to bring the knife down into his heart. He started screaming as he heard Abby's voice coming down at him.

“Jim! JIM!” Out of the dream world, Abby saw Jim tossing and turning in her palm. His body was shivering and he was screaming out, calling to Abby. “Jim! Wake up, Jim! I'm right here!” Abby shook her hand around a little and poked into Jim with her finger, shaking his shoulders around. Within a few moments, Jim's eyes bolted open and saw her worried face looking down at him. His face was still shaking and his breathing was heavy as she spoke down to him. “Jim, thank goodness. Are you oka-”

Abby was cut off as Jim yelled for her and lunged into her index finger. His arms were wrapped around it and his face was half-buried in the skin, tears producing. Abby blinked and didn't know what to say. He was obviously having a horrible nightmare and something was making him feel better with being around her. After a minute of realizing that her presence was comforting him, she smiled and started rubbing on his back with her thumb. She slowly rubbed on him and spoke again.

“Don't worry, Jim. I'm right here, and nothing will happen to you while I'm around.”