- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Abby and Jim both sit, vocally silent, but emotionally active as they react to what just happened...

Time was standing still at that time, at that lonely field in the middle of Large n Minor University.  The clock was turning elsewhere, but in that little area that held Abby and Jim, time was no longer present.  They were stuck in that moment of confession, unable to move forward or backwards for a large amount of time, or what they thought was time.  Something heavy was going on in their minds, both their minds, and little did they know that big things were happening elsewhere as well.  For the moment, though, they only focused on the big events happening to them at that moment.

Jim was on his side, body completely shaking from what he’d just done to Abby.  He never wanted her to find out about Ruby, about what Ruby was truly like.  Yet, here he was, spilling his guts out upon Abby’s request for information.  He hated the part of his wife that despised the big folks, and hoped that he would never have had to tell Abby about it.  He also trusted Abby, though, and he knew he could no longer lie to her.  The truth was going to come out sometime, so it might as well had happened sooner, rather than later.

Despite knowing he did the right thing, he couldn’t help but feel horrible about all of this.  He knew Abby’s past with the AL Soldiers.  They’d done some pretty awful things, and were the cause of most of Abby’s poor parts of life.  They’d even killed the ladies who used to be her best friends.  How would someone like that possibly deal or cope with the fact that her new friend’s wife is part of that same group?  Abby seemed to trust Jim quite a bit, and he trusted her, but how long would that trust last once they’d both processed what had just happened?

Abby was about to give Jim the answer to that mental question, as a matter of fact.  Her face sat high above him, and the smile she’d been keeping on her face was losing its form.  Her lips started to tire and lower themselves, removing the smile and turning it into more of a frown as she kept staring down at him.  She had been curious and worried about Jim with how his wife had acted towards him in the Infirmary, but nothing could have prepared her for the blow he had just thrown at her.  Nothing could have prepared her for the reaction she would now have.

Everything was coming in slowly, but her mind was relatively busy as her face turned to a frown.  She adjusted her vision, blurring out everything in front of her, including Jim, as she thought about what he’d just said to her.  Ruby, that sweet man’s wife, apparently…hated Larges.  What’s more is that she was a member of that “Anti-Large Soldier” group.  It was the same one that she remembered all too well.  Her cheeks started to redden as she thought about what that group had done to her, and to her friends, years back.

The giant woman blinked her eyes a few times as birds flew by, right in front of her eyes.  Her breathing was starting to get deeper and longer, and her heart was beating faster and faster with every second.  Her bright and cheery attitude was slowly drooping down as she thought about it more and more.  She had really come to like Jim over the past day, but this news of his wife troubled Abby, a lot.  It troubled her, not because there was an AL Soldier on campus, but that her friend’s wife was like that.  She’d been so excited to meet Ruby, but she could never have imagined she was like that.

She sat there still, not saying a word, as her body was telling Jim and anyone else around, how this information was making her feel. With every exhale, came a nervous, fidgety breath, her stomach slightly quivering.  Her cheeks were slowly getting more and more red, and as she blinked, her eyelids began to form tears.  Her pupils were shaking as she moved her head back down, focusing her vision on Jim, and only Jim.  Her mind was in so much conflict and stress, she didn’t know what she was supposed to do.  All she could do for a good few moments was stare down at her little friend, who was obviously just as freaked out as she was.

Jim, eyes closed and on his side, slowly stopped his whimpering and crying as he felt something grazing his body.  He bolted his eyes open and turned, looking to see that large, smooth hand of Abby’s had come down, towards him.  As he eyed it, he saw one of her fingers, the same size as he was, lowering and softly grazing across his side.  The feeling sent chills through his body, and he looked up towards Abby’s face, confused.  He didn’t understand this at all.  He’d clearly thrown some very emotional words towards her, and she was rubbing him with her finger?

Not even Abby fully understood why she was stroking Jim’s tiny body with her index finger.  She hadn’t said a word to him, and her mind was in complete conflict.  Part of her hated what Jim told her, and it wanted to show her anger towards Jim, but part of her didn’t.  Part of her wanted to stay with her friend and help heal the wounds he was having in him right now, rather than finding a way to heal her own wounds.  No words could explain it, but hearing about this, for some reason, made Abby feel for Jim’s position, despite her dislike of what she’d just been told. 

After a moment, she started to slowly curl her fingers around Jim’s body, pulling him into her palm.  Jim was stuck on her face as she began to pull her hand, and him, up towards her face.  She blinked down towards him as he was brought up to her, a tear slowly rushing down her cheek.  Pulling her other hand up, she allowed Jim to stay in both palms, and just stared at him for a few minutes. 

Neither one of them said a word, but Abby had made a move, slowly pulling him forward as he tried to speak.  He had started to say he was sorry, but was knocked down as he was pulled forward, Abby’s face, lips, and cheeks slowly creeping closer and closer to his body…

Chapter End Notes:

As Jim is held closer and closer to Abby's face, what is she about to say to him?  Is she going to yell at him?  Leave him out in the middle of nowhere?  Express disgust for Ruby?  Something else?