- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The debate with Sarah and Ruby escalades when they see Jim and Abby leaving, to more extremes than Sarah imagined...

Sarah’s head had whipped around in a matter of moments when she heard a loud clanging noise against the wall behind her.  Though she was deep in her debate with Ruby, she still had somewhat of a grip on her senses.  As she turned around, however, a cold chill flew up her body.  Jim and Abby were both at the window and it looked like he was getting her to pick him up, out of the room.  Her eyes widened at the sight of the two of them, assuming they intended to leave.

This was not good at all.  What could they possibly be thinking?!  Jim can’t just leave the Infirmary!  He was injured and needed time to rest!  Not only that, but Sarah was afraid at what sort of reaction him leaving, let alone leaving in the hands of Abby, a Large, would have in Ruby.  She quickly looked back, hoping to continue the debate and distract Ruby, but it was too late.  That woman had already seen more than she needed of what was going on.  She was already on the move, shoving through Sarah and heading towards the window.

Sarah was pushed back by the plowing Ruby, the middle of her back slamming into the metal edge of the hospital bed where Jim once laid.  Her eyes squinted and she slowly brought her hands back, one pushing her off the bed and the other rubbing along her back.  Opening up one eye, she brought herself back up to a standing position, grunting and rubbing her back some more, trying to work out all the pain that had worked it’s way in from that shove.  It hurt quite a bit, but all of that pain was minimal when she heard what Ruby did as soon as she came to the window.

“Thief!  Kidnapper!  Criminal!  Come back here with my Jim right now!  I’ll have you arrested for kidnapping!  I’ll have you ALL arrested!”

This was not good.  This was not good at all.  That lady was yelling and screaming out the window, for the entire campus to hear.  This situation was progressing into a very bad situation, just as she’d feared.  She knew it was a bad idea to have this woman on campus, and the situation was turning very bad for her.  She had to do something, and fast.  She had to shut that woman up and try to convince her that Abby wasn’t ‘kidnapping’ Jim.  If this went on much further, it could lead to potential consequences, of a global scale.

Letting go of her own back, she ran up to the window as Abby and Jim were walking away and Ruby was leaning halfway out the window, screaming and yelling.  She was sending all kinds of crude terms and profanity towards Abby, and she could not let that continue.  As she reached Ruby, she grabbed her shoulder and pulled her back into the room, trying her best to forcefully get her to stop.  “Mrs. King!  Calm your butt down right now!  Abby is not kidnapping your husband!  She is a sweet, gentle, and kind girl!  She would never do anything with anyone without their permission!  Now, stop yelling thi-“

Sarah was trying her hardest to convince this frantic woman, but she was too stubborn, too warp-minded to be reasoned with.  In the middle of her speech, Ruby had turned herself and elbowed Sarah right in the face, sending her falling down to the ground below.  Pain was swirling around in Sarah’s back and face, a slow stream of blood slowly flowing down from her forehead.  She tried to push herself up, but was knocked back down to the ground when a sneaker-clad foot pounded into her stomach, knocking the wind out of her, causing her to start coughing.   

Above her stood Ruby, the anger swelling up and down in her face.  She held her foot down on the nurse as hard as she good, enraged at what she’d said to her and making sure she couldn’t get back up.  “Shut up!  I know a kidnapping when I see one!  My husband would never leave me, especially not with one of those filthy, dirty, unimaginable Giants!  If you’re such a good nurse, then why don’t you tell me!  Tell me why Jim would want to leave while I’m around here to take care of him?!”

Sarah was struggling to move and breathe under the weight of Ruby’s boot.  It was hard and she struggled hard, feeling the pain in her head, her back, and now her stomach.  With every breath she took, she let out a couch.  With a crack in her voice, she tried to start speaking to the woman, hoping only that her words would get her to stop hurting her and yelling around this place about the Larges.  “H-He p-probably…wanted to leave…b-because of h-how much you’ve b-been s-screaming!  Y-You…You haven’t been w-worried about his s-safety at all!  You’ve just b-been using this as an excuse to b-bash on Larges!  All you d-did since coming i-in here was yell and s-scream at me and Abby!  Y-You never o-once asked your h-husband if he was o-okay!  You’re j-just…trying to force us to t-think we’re in the wrong!”

Ruby couldn’t believe what she was hearing.  Jim, her husband, left because of her?!  Impossible!  He loved her.  She loved him!  There’s no way he couldn’t have seen the concern in her eyes.  This nurse was asking for it.  She lifted her boot up in the air and slammed it into the nurse’s stomach again, causing her to whimper and start coughing again.  “SHUT UP!  Don’t you dare try to make this look like it’s my fault!  You start talking the truth right now, Giant-Hugger!  Jim would NEVER leave me!  He knows I care about him!  You people hurt him!  You wrapped him in fake bandages, and now you’re kidnapping him from me!  Don’t even think that this won’t be between you and me!  Once I’m done with you, we wi-“

Sarah’s coughing and pain in her stomach slowly came to a stop as Ruby’s body came crashing down to the floor, by her legs.  Sarah’s arms and legs were shivering from all that she’d just endured.  She stared up at the ceiling, slightly whimpering, wondering what had just happened.  Soft footsteps quickly approached her as she saw her secretary kneeling down above her.  “Miss Sarah!  Miss Sarah, are you alright?!  Please, talk to me!”

Coming back to her sense, she looked around, realizing that there was a large dart in Ruby’s neck, as she laid there.  Her secretary must have come in and used her spare Tranquilizer Gun, the one they kept outside for emergencies, to get the woman off her.  Taking a deep breath, she started coughing, feeling all of the pain softening, but still hurting her all over.  “T-Thanks…C-Can you h-help me up?”

Smiling, though with a look of concern on her face, the secretary slowly reached down, lifting Sarah’s body off the floor from the back and the legs, slowly carrying her over to the bed Jim had once been laying on, preparing to take care of her, completely unaware of a small radio attached to Ruby’s pocket, a red light slowly blinking as she was laying on the ground, unconscious. 

Chapter End Notes:

As Sarah is placed on the hospital bed, her secretary preparing to take care of her, how are Abby and Jim handling Ruby's behavior, and what is this radio doing?