- Text Size +

"And you showed me this because you'd actually give up your adulthood, Rosa" asked Babette, "Why?"
"Because I would gain your childhood, a second chance for me at something you would have to be sure that you didn't want" said Rosa "It would be wrong for me to use Miss Beetlenelly's machine to do this mind exchange unless you were absolutely sure that you wanted to stay in my adult life."

"Would I definitely still love Henry when I was in your body?" asked Babette.

"Yes you would" said Miss Beetlenelly, "And Rosa would continue not loving him too."

"I would wait until I was sixteen or so and meet a teenager" said Rosa.

"This is wonderful. Not only would Henry love me, but I wouldn't have t o go to school and university either. I don't know how you could stand to go through it all again" said Babette.

"For one thing, I will have the satisfaction of knowing that I helped to prove Miss Beetlenelly's experiment worked. For another, I can learn all the things I need to again and possibly do even better at it than I did last time. Will you be happy as an adult?" asked Rosa.

"I guess so. Anyway it's worth it to be with Henry. Let's do it."

"I guess we can always reverse it and will agree to if either one of us changes our minds"  said Rosa, and laughed at the pun.

"There is a reverse process, isn't there?" asked Babette.

"No" said Miss Beetlenelly.
"What?" asked Rosa shocked.

"Think about it. There's no need for a reverse process, when the same one would reverse the effect anyway. If A swaps minds with B for three weeks, then to use the same procedure on them at the end of the three weeks would put both minds back into their original bodies wouldn't it?"

"Of course" said Rosa, relieved, "This is a big decision for a girl Babette's age to be making. So it's important to know that we can undo it later if she decides to go back to being in her original body."

 

Miss Beetlenelly sat Rosa and Babette in separate chairs and then connected devices from the machine to their heads. Wires ran from both devices into the original machine. Miss Beetlenelly threw several switches on the machine, and waited.

For a few moments, Babette and Rosa felt their minds, vision and other senses going blank. Then they found themselves in each other’s bodies.

"It's amazing" said Babette in Rosa's body "I will call myself Rosa Ville from now on."

"Henry will never know why his greatest hopes came true" said Rosa in Babette's body.

 

*          *          *          *

 

The next morning, Babette caught Henry's train.

"Hello" she said as she sat beside Henry.

"Shall we start a new game Rosa?" asked Henry, unaware that he was now talking to a lady with Babette's mind.

"Well we could if you like, Henry" said Babette thinking how easy it would be to make the first move on Henry, when she already knew that Henry would love her because he had a crush on her in that form. Babette had also retained Rosa's knowledge and skills at chess. Rosa had forgotten all of that in Babette's body.