- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

This story will have a few chapters and will have a sequel eventually (after I'm done with something larger with the sylvans), following with the same characters.  Hopefully it has a little more to offer than my first one.

Author's Chapter Notes:

The beginning ! This is mostly establishing setting.  More will come in the next days so stay put =D

In his quality of Seeker of Stars, Ryan was no ordinary member of the Moon Cult.  He was young and gifted with extraordinary charisma drawn from his impeccable aspects, his great beauty and his distinguished manners and rhetoric.  No one would think of anyone else to follow the sacred path of the over father when the time would come. 

He was the favourite in the friendly rivalry reigning in the cult for the succession and everyone seemed to admire him without envy and crave for his presence and advice.  Despite his young age, his wisdom and his acute intellect had already surpassed those of most of his venerable elders amongst the cult, just as the young plants in forests that grow upon the old and faded ones to shine fabulously by the sun. 

He had already partaken in numerous advanced rituals, singing glorious hymns to the moon that made the darkness of the night itself shiver in fear.  He earned the respect of many a Keeper of Secrets with the intensity of his meditations and how the stars would align with the moon as if to testify of his greater powers. 

The best trait of his personality was that disconcerting humility he displayed in every aspect of his duties, never lifting a condescending eyebrow over a lower member and never interfering with the superior ones’ conversations unless invited to. 

 

Ryan looked at his reflection on the delicate ice of the mirror standing in front of him.  His short blond hair had slight glints of brown and matched his languorous blue eyes flawlessly.  Golden earrings followed the cascade of blondish waters to his neck adorned with a pearl necklace.  The only flaw on this beardless face was the nose that was too up ahead of the upper lip as if pointing to the star tattoo on his forehead. 

A tear was running down his cheek as he addressed prayers to the moon about the younger acolytes who would never pass the test to become Moonlight Stalkers and would forever be compelled to accomplish minor and senseless tasks.   So sensible and noble was his heart!  His compassion wanted to carry the world itself on its shoulders.  His musings were suddenly interrupted as the stone door of his humble chamber creaked softly.

-The moon shows you the stars, brother, said the familiar voice.

-And to you so, brother.  My respects, over father.  How may I be of service?

-No duty shall be required of you, son.  Now is the time to converse brother to brother.  The ceremony of tomorrow is an event that draws everyone’s discreet attention.  As you well know the young vestal by the name of Evelyn is about to improve her most humble condition by undertaking the shadow trial. 

-I am indeed aware of such an event.  Blessed be the moon to grace us with another shadow maiden, as her powers have already grown enough to grant her this status.

-Yes, yes of course.  What I came to discuss has little to do with our beloved Evelyn’s skills however.  The matter is of the most...intimate nature.  My vision has come to witness what my eyes couldn’t behold in the darkest moments of the night.  You grew quite found of this young lady, haven’t you?

To those words, Ryan felt his face blush entirely of what probably reminded of the intense red covering flourished tomatoes in the warm summer days.

-I assume you are well aware of the consequences of your actions.  It is strictly forbidden to tarnish a vestal’s honour until she advances to the next level.  You have hidden this impudent feast with great skill, so to speak.  Others would even say cunning.  Nothing the true seeing of an over father couldn’t foresee, though.

The old man addressed him an enigmatic smile, his white eyebrow arching slightly in some amused, ironic look.

-What can you say for your defence?

Ryan humbly bowed his head.

-Nothing, father.  Words are elusive when it comes to speak of my shame.  In my cowardice however I still find the strength to maintain this course of speech: know most sensible father that the egoism was mine and mine alone and that Evelyn merely followed in my tainted footsteps, naive and passionate in love as women tend to be in their early twenties. 

-A sin quickly forgiven, my son.  Your great deeds have elevated you way beyond such trivial matters.

-With your permission, father, I hereby demand to be punished as if I were a neophyte for my mistake was of those perpetuated on that level.

-And so will you be, very soon.  But may we enjoy the ceremony first and allow joyful events to settle our hearts with kindness.

-Wi...wisely said, father.  I...I am most grateful

-May the moon repel the darkness in your heart, brother.

-And to you so, brother. ..Father?

-Yes?

-You are an excellent leader...but a better tutor, there is none.

The old man smiled lightly, nodded and left the chamber.