- Text Size +

Chapter 5

The people saw the titaness coming towards them. Her seemingly endless legs and the two colossal feet that carried them were quicker than one would anticipate. Before many of them had a change to scream in terror, Robyn's feet covered a dozen of them. The others ran, yelling, crying, nauseous. They heard the bones of their former colleagues and friends crunch like a skeleton being run over by a steamroller, and saw blood splash from under her soles. Unfortunately, the people didn't have much room to flee. The pond was on one side, the parking lot on the other. Behind them was the more or less ruined facility, and in front was Robyn, whose feet came down upon the people like a stupendous pink hydraulic press. The people stumbled over each other, each one wanted to get away as quick as possible. Many saw the sky darken as she lifted her foot over them, feeling blood and leftovers of their unlucky predecessors rain all over them before Robyn's foot squashed their bodies to goo. Some slipped on the blood now running in streams, only to be trod upon moments later.

Robyn stepped on the scurrying mob, again and again, as if she was practicing some kind of dance. She enjoyed the feeling of bones snapping and breaking, more than she'd ever imagined. Not caring that it were people, fellow human beings she was killing, she crushed and stomped until most of them were dead. She was a giantess now, and she was worth more than all of these crawling insects together. After having killed about 400 people, Robyn washed her feet in the pond again, turning the water red.

Her feet clean anew, she looked at the facility. Most of it was still standing, the sides she fell out of and kicked into looked like they had been hit by a bomb.

"Time to bring you down," she said, and kicked her feet into the facility over and over. The glass shattered, like she used a sledgehammer on a showcase full of beer glasses. She savored every sound and sight of it. Computers, training apparatuses, steel and wooden beams, chairs, tables and concrete flew in all directions every time she kicked the building. Within five minutes, the facility was a ruin, dust clouds emerging from the heap of glass, splinters, stones and other debris.

"That was wonderful," Robyn thought. "But if I want to destroy more, I need to get bigger. Otherwise, it would take too long to bring down a building. And 240 feet is not that big. My feet are only 25 feet long. Room for improvement, room for growth."

Robyn inhaled deeply and focused on growing again. Her body began to expand once more.

Robyn grew taller and taller. She surpassed the 300-foot mark within ten seconds, and another ten seconds later she was well beyond 400 feet. And still she grew, living her dream. Her toes pushed the cars at the parking lot aside, then steamrolled over them, crushing them into scrap. Still she grew, reaching 500 feet, then 600. Philadelphia descended before her, she savored every second of this sight. Reaching 1000 feet, Robyn could see most of the city, feeling the pavement crack under her increasing weight.

To the people of Philadelphia, it was a surrealistic experience. First, they saw Robyn's pretty face rise above the buildings. Some thought it was a painted hot air balloon on its way up in the sky, but when her face was followed by her neck, torso and legs, they knew better. Day-to-day life came to a halt when everybody looked at the now 1200 feet tall giantess rising and rising, showing no sign of stopping. Sirens howled, cars honked, and many people were phoning, arguing that the reason they called was no joke.

Her expanding feet shoving the debris of the facility aside and bulldozing roach- sized cars, Robyn passed the 1500-foot mark. The pond was now little more than a small puddle to her, the remains of her first victims little red specks.

"Aaah, this'll do. For the time being!", Robyn said aloud, having reached 2000 feet. Looking down, she saw an oak standing neatly between her big toe and the one next to it. Wiggling her toes, the century- old tree splintered. Using the toes of her other foot, Robyn tore another oak from the ground , the tree little more than a small daisy to her. She plucked it from between her toes and examined it.

"An entire oak, lying on my index finger," she thought while playing with the tree. "This is power!" Rubbing her fingers, she turned it into splinters as well.

"Freeze!" she heard a metallic voice coming from below, just as she started to walk towards Philadelphia's centre. Looking behind her, she saw a dozen police cars. One officer talked through a megaphone. "You are under arrest. Stay were you are, or we'll open fire."

"Really?", Robyn said raising her eyebrows. "Then you'll have to cuff me. Here!" Putting her wrists together, Robyn bent down, her hands and arms in the shape of a fish's tail. She could scoop up all of the police cars at once, but placed them mockingly in front of the bug-sized officer.

"No?", Robyn asked after a few moments, raising up again. "How about foot chains then?"

Grinning, she placed a now 300 feet long foot on the police cars, crushing then all at once, including the officers, who didn't even have time to fire. Her size belied her swiftness indeed.

"Neither?' she asked. "Then you won't arrest anyone. Bye!" Robyn started to walk towards her initial goal, Philadelphia's centre, not even glancing at the small metal plates and red dots embedded in her huge footprint that were police cars and officers a moment ago.