- Text Size +

                After the skirmish from the warehouse. Brian was on his way to report to Chief Soki. On his way he met with Eugene. He did not look like  he was in the best of moods.

Brian: Brian reporting in sir.

Eugene: Good morning, Brian. Walk with me.

Brian: Yes sir.

Eugene: So what the hell happened to you last night anyway.

Brian: Short answer, a stake out that ended up sour.

Eugene: And by sour it sounds like you and your friend ended up pissing off Al'Capone.

Brian: It wasn't the intent.

Eugene: Before we go into the office you need to know that Soki has already left.

Brian: For his lower level mission?

Eugene: Yeah, so you're not going to have an easy time today.

Brian: Aren't you the second in command?

Eugene: In this department yes. However were being audited by the commisioner general herself.

Brian: Wow . . . I'm guessing that's a bad thing?

Eugene: You've ever known an audit to be good? Just be careful what you say.

They entered the office to find commissioner Joanne Gathers in Soki's chair.

Joanne: So is this Mr. Brian Riggs?

Eugene: Yes Ma'am.

Right off the bat Brian knew he wasn't going to like her but he did his best to maintain a neutral expression.

Joanne: Now then tell me boy. Did Soki order you to go in and blow up a whole Al'Capone owned warehouse?

Brian: He ordered me to go on patrol.

Joanne: Then ah don't understand why you were go'in out'a your way to beat on street punks!

Brian: I was put on that sector. And then as I was patroling I came across suspicious activity. It was an abandoned building after all.

Joanne: And what did you fahnd?

Brian: Gangsters planning a raid.

Joanne: Ah am shocked I say to find that the whole warehouse is burnt to the ground!

Brian: Well they made their move before I had a chance to intercept them.

Joanne: That's just perfect. Because now ah have complains from Al'Capone that we entered the premmis without a permit.

Brian: Hey they were shipping illegally gained goods "including" people.

Joanne: Them mobsters been doing that fer years. Ah need proof, do you understand me boy?

He had no solid proof other then what he had seen. But then he would have to expose Alice in order to do so.

Joanne: Now you on the under hand have been fingered by said criminals you just arreested as a memeber o' their little country club.

Brian: Formerly . . . Not anymore.

Joanne: They also confessed that they had gone Red Raven huntin. You weren't by any chance joining their little hunt were yuh?

Brian: No . . .

Joanne: So you had no interest in the billions that the Arch Bishop put up?

Brian: None what so ever.

Joanne: Very well then. Now ah just have to worry about yer Chief.

Brian: Didn't he go to the lower level for a mission?

Joanne: Yeah and he went down without my order. He basically went AWOL and alone.

Brian: I . . . didn't know that.

Joanne: Any reason why you think he would?

Brian: Well his daughter is still down there.

Joanne: And why are you up here? Ah heard that you and several others fell down there.

Brian: I . . . We got ambushed by Devil Scars leader.

Joanne: Well that tears it. Eugene!

Eugene: Ma'am?

Joanne: Ah am having Mr Riggs here suspended until Soki's return. And we're going to keep an eye on yer department for now.

Eugene: And Polie Chief Soki?

Joanne: Ah want him arrested and brought in for questioning if he be return'in here. After that Ah'll decide what to do with your department.

Eugene: Yes ma'am.

She departed leaving the office.

Brian: Guess this is all my fault?

Eugene: Nah . . . our whole department was under questioning before you arrived.

Brian: Really?

Eugene: Everyone in this department has really bad discipline records.

Brian: Oh . . . well that explains why I fit in here so well.

Eugene: The higher ups refuse to acknowledge the threat of Dayon, so someone has to look out for the people.

Brian: Like . . . Red Raven.

Eugene: I don't condole what he does but the results suggest that he's here because this system is so messed up.

Brian: So do we still arrest him if we ever get the chance?

Eugene: Of course. But now we're expected to arrest our own boss.

________________________________________________________________________

                     Alice was woken up when she heard the door bell ring. After getting dressed she answered it and met Linus Hatch. Since Alice was now 6' 9" most other guys would seem quite short to her but Linus was one of those rare guys who could break a solid 8 feet tall. Linus seemed to be a little worried.

Linus: Good morning Ms. Vermire. I'm sorry to trouble you . . . You look a little different.

Alice: Oh, hello Mr. Hatch. It's not troubling at all. And yeah I know i've been getting that a lot lately.

Linus: Have ou by any chance seen Fredrick?

Alice: Not since yesterday. Why?

Linus: He never came home last night. And I was hoping he was with you.

Alice: Sorry but last time I saw him he was with Daniel.

Linus: Ok . . . Thank you for your time.

Alice: Wait, Can I help in anyway?

Linus: I'm not really sure. You said Daniel saw him last. He was the brown haired boy that started hanging out with you right?

Alice: Yeah. I know where to find him and I can show you.

Linus: Oh I don't want to bother you. I can ask him imyself.

Alice: Fredrick is still a friend of mine so I can still be worried myself. Besides his place is a little hard to explain the directions anyway.

Mr Hatch then agreed to let Alice help him and drove them to Daniels place. It was a small apartment on the ground floor.

Linus: Does your friend live alone?

She remebered that Blaine was his father but she never really asked him about his situation before. Alice had been trying to avoid being nosy before but once she finishes helping Linus with his problem she would ask Daniel about his relationship with his father.

Alice: His parents weren't home when I was here before so I don't really know.

Linus: Well I don't really want to sound like I'm trying to interrogate him or anything.

They knocked on the door. And there was nothing. After several more tries she then tried to get Nova to scan the independant apartment. Fortunatly Nova could speak without Linus hearing her.

Nova: I am afraid that there is no life signs in this room Alice.

Alice: Sorry Mr. hatch I guess he isn't home either.

Linus: So they're both missing?

Alice: Yeah . . . And Daniel did tell me that he was going to give Fred a hand.

Linus: I fear something bad might happen to Fredrick.

Alice: Did you try calling him?

Linus: Yes and there was no answer.

Alice: If it's still on then maybe it can be tracked.

Linus: I didn't know you were an expert with computers.

Alice: I, uhh. Well I'm more of an expert with phones . . .

She really tried hard to make that lie believeable. Instead she got Nova to track the ringing.

Alice: That's a bit weird . . .

Linus: What's wrong?

Alice: It says it's comming from an orphanage.

Linus: Wait can I see that location.

Alice: Sure.

Linus: I know this place. This is the orphanage where I first adopted Fredrick and Margaret.

Alice: . . . Wait a minute. Oh no!

Linus: What's wrong?

Alice: Al'Capone!

Linus: You know of them as well?

Alice: Sorry but can you hurry us there?

Linus: I can try.

She remebered the time when she pushed back against Anthony. Just slightly resisting an Al'Capone got her and her friends dropped to the lower level. But this time it was the destruction of one of their warehouses. Linus tried to go as fast as he could to the destination. It was noon by the time they arrived. Alice did not hesitate to enter the building. So far there was no issues as they were approaching the front desk. Just seeing a front desk like this suggested that there was a third party investment. Even the Conclave wouldn't pay this much into such a facility.

Linus: Excuse me miss. We're looking for a young man. He has spiky blonde hair and a little skinny. He would have been here for less then a day?

Secretary: Let me check for you sir . . . Can I have your name sir?

Linus: Linus Hatch.

Secretary: Thank you sir . . . Ahh yes he is here.

Linus: Oh thank god . . .

Alice: Wait why is he here?

Secretary: Well he's still listed as an orphan.

Alice: But he's a year older then me which makes him 18. He's legally an adult.

Secretary: I'm sorry about that but according to this file it says that he has been given special permission to be cared for by the orphanage.

Linus: That's outrageous! I've been the legal guardian for Fredrick for years now.

Secretary: Yes and it says you still owe several payments before you can take full athority.

Alice: What . . . Kind of orphanage is this?

Secretary: Oh excuse me are you Alice Vermire?

Alice: After all that why would you ask that?

Secretary: According to our files you were also put up for adoption.

Almost instinctivly, Alice grabbed the secretary and held her in the air.

Alice: You know I'm getting really sick of this game lady!

Secretary: Wh- What are you doing!

Linus: Alice be careful.

Alice: No! I've been here for only five minutes and already you guys are claiming me as an orphan.

???: That's because I've had claims on you for a long time child.

She turned around only to be struck with a solid metal club. Alice ended up dropping the secretary and went through the wall. As she tried to get her barrings she saw the brute that assaulted her along with several others. And  among them was a stunted old lady in a gray buisness suit.

Linus: Alice! You don't need to be that rough Ms Al'Capone.

Gina: Linus you did well in getting her here. You can consider your debt repaid. Fredrick is in the the vehicle outside. Tell the man in the car the key word "pumpkin Patch" and you can be on your way.

Linus: But-

Gina: I said . . . Your debt is repaid! Unless of course you want to lose your son instead?

Linus: I . . . I'm sorry Alice.

He departed and left almost as though he was about to break down into tears. Alice however had felt nothing but anger at the moment. The men around the old lady were a lot stronger then simple humans.

Gina: You know in my old age I am really supposed to be passing the tourch to my children. I really hope that you were a lot better of a daughter to your own parents my dear.

Alice: Spicule told me about you . . . They call you gran-gran right?

Gina: . . . Well then he lied to you for fun.

Upon snapping her fingers the brutes brought out shotguns. Alice's Novon armor reacted quickly to protect her from the slugs. Although it still hurt.

Gina: I know you're ignorant of that little nick name so I will forgive you this time. But I want you to understand one thing . . . Don't you "ever" call me that.

The brutes charged at her. Gina's personal guard were almost monsterous. As they moved further into the building Gina stopped at the secretary still trying to catch her breath.

Gina: Can you breath?

Secretary: I . . .think so.

Gina: Good, then you can get back to work. And don't mind the noise.

There were about four brutes Alice had to worry about with two more still with Gina. Alice began striking back at them. They weren't as easy to knock down as regular people but Rico was definatly stronger then the four of them combine.

Gina: What do you know. Blaine was right about survival over might.

Nova; There's something off about their biometrics Alice. I detect traces of phosphorus-

Alice: Nova I don't care right now . . .

She gathered energy into a shockwave and fired it directly on one of the brutes. The others were readying their shotguns before Gina had them stop. She began to clap her hands.

Gina: What a remarkable device Blaine had created.

Alice: You're the one who raided my home . . .

Gina: Not in person but yes. And as for that orphan status. I had that implemented ever since you disapeared from the mid level.

Alice: Why?!

Gina: Because you are my property now child.

Alice: If you know so much about me then you know that I can destroy this whole building.

Gina: My, my. You got more of your father in you then I thought.

Alice: ?!

Gina: Yeah I do have your father child. And you really should think twice about attacking me. I do hold his life in my hands.

Alice: What did you do to him!

Gina: Nothing . . . yet. Although I did persuade him to give you up.

Alice was furious. She knocked away the brutes and rushed at her. Physically she towered over the little woman but Gina didn't seem to care at all.

Gina: Now, now. You're not going to squish me are you. Sure you can push big strong men around but I'm just a wee old lady.

Her sarcasm sounded so dry and cruel. Grabbed Gina with one hand and the other charging another shockwave. Alice almost had teas in her eyes.

Alice: What . . . did you . . . do to . . . my father?!

Gina: I simply "convinced" him. not that he gave me an easy time. But if you harm me in any way . . . Then he dies.

Alice: . . .

Gina: Now then, unless you're going to follow up on your threat. Put me down "properly".

Fearing the loss of her father, Alice complied. Gina simply dusted herself off a bit.

Gina: Good girl . . . But you still have that spark of rebellion in your eye. I wonder what would break you?

Alice: . . .

Gina: I know plenty of old sickening men who would pay a lot for someone with your body. It's a shame you could have avoided all of this had you not taken Nova for yourself.

Alice: How do you know about Nova?

Gina: I'm sure you can just put two and two together.

________________________________________________________________________

Linus had finished talking to the driver and retreaved Fredrick. However Fredrick seemed to be fully aware of what happened. It was clear that Gina purposly ensured that he would know of Linus's betrayal. They were leaving the area as Fredrick starred at his adopted father.

Fredrick: Why . . . would you do that?

Linus: It was either her or I would lose both you and Margaret.

Fredrick: I know I'm not the bravest guy in the world but that?!

Linus: What am I supposed to do?!

Fredrick: I don't know but something other then that?!

Linus: It's already done?! And now I can save your sister as well.

Fredrick: You mean that miserable old bitch bought you off as well?!

Linus: . . . This is the real world . . . I don't have the power to resist Al'Capone.

Fredrick: Maybe . . . but I think I do . . .

Linus: What are you talking about.

Fredrick: I know I've been running from this but I might be able to turn things around?

Linus stopped for a moment.

Linus: Wait . . . Alice once said something to me.

Fredrick: What?

Linus: Don't play the games of tyrants. But break the game itself . . .

Fredrick: Then I'll go and help Alice. I owe her that much.

Linus: No . . . I can't let you go.

Fredrick: What makes you think I'm going to listen to you.

Linus: "I" Can't help her . . . But I know someone who can.

He immediatly made a call to David Blaine.

Blaine: Good afternoon Mr. Hatch. What can I do for you.

Linus: Alice is in trouble.

Blaine: Alice Vermire . . . Should I ask why you know this?

Linus: I screwed up and she's being attacked by Gina Al'Capone.

Blaine: Understood. I've reviewed the information and I will be there soon.

Linus: Information? You mean you know about her orphan status? But I only called you just this second.

Blaine: It's a complicated story Mr. Hatch. Lets just say that I'm an expert with phones..