- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Apologies about the long wait. Had to do some thinking about this nex part. There is a possibility that I will redo this part. Granted I will probably edit the whole thing once I finally finish it. And completion of this story is something I really do want to do so if anyone feels as though I have quit then there is no need to fret.

                       High in the upper level. Many of the aristocrats, buisness owners and other privileged citizens were celebrating the completion of the Spire. An Orbital Elevator that would allow easy access to outer space. In the community hall Arch Bishop Eleazar hosted the party. The one that got everyone's attention the most however was Davil Blaine.

Eleazar: I would like to thank all of those that contributed to the construction of the Spire. To be honest I did not even believe that I would live long enough to witness it's completion. But I assure you it will be well worth the effort.

The audience clapped their hands.

Eleazar: Now I believe I shall get to the questions. The most common one of course that many of you would ask is the benifit to the Spire. There are many details to it so I will get to the basics. There is much raw material orbiting the earth since the Nuclear Holocaust. With the Spire you will all be able to collect all that you can find without needing to waste billions for rocket launches and shutles. The Conclave will harvest any material that you wish and will begin further trade. Of course for those who had invested in the Spire will get the first train loads for free. It also will allow a much faster production of A - Cells. For any who wish to see the specifics are welcome to read about it in the public data base. Any other questions?

Buisnessman: Is this city the only one with a Spire?

Eleazar: For the time being yes. Should the Spire plan be a success I will commission to add them to the other cities. Though I doubt I will live long enough to see a second Spire complete.

Journalist: How are you able to have a tower that streaches so high without it tipping over?

Eleazar: That my dear is used by a series of complex devices you may see floating around the Spire itself. It's a delicate matter involving gravity manipulation powered of course by A-Cells. You can find the specifics in the public journal.

Aristocrat: I have an off topic question. Is the bounty for the Red Raven still on-going?

Eleazar: Why yes it is. The reward remains unchanged.

Blaine: Out of curiosity. Why is the bounty on his head so high? We have had terrorists who have caused quite a bit more damage before and they were barely worth a tenth of the bounty.

Eleazar: I assure you Mr. Blaine, that I have thought about this very carefully.

Blaine: Just checking.

Eleazar continued with other questions. Although there were subtle hints in Blains dialogue to suggest that he was actually insulting Eleazar. As the party continued, Blaine began to speak with some of the other upper class.

Noblewoman: Is it true Mr. Blaine that you are technically the father of Ayous Energy?

Blaine: The original A - Cell Prototype was indeed developed by Omenyx. I however cannot say I did it alone. However the rights I had to sell over to The Conclave. Back then Omenyx was not nearly as developed as it is today.

Politician: And now it's the most critical form of energy today. It even stopped some companies from all that fossle fuel consumption. Too bad you couldn't hang onto it.

Blaine: It had been a long time since then. I have no intention of rying to get it back now anyway. Now then if you excuse me. I have a meeting with a very important person.

As they continued the discussion they could see two large men in full tuxedo's approach them.

Polly: Excuse me Mr. Blaine but may we barrow you for a moment? Ms. Al'Capone would like to see you in private.

The others paused when they heard that name. Blaine however maintained his composure.

Blaine: The great Gina Al'Capone wants to donate some of her time? Very well then. It would be rude of me to pass it up now. If anyone asks for me. Please let them know that I'll be back in about ten minutes.

They walked into a private room. There was a small table. Before him was Gina Al'Capone along with two more brutes dresse up.

Blaine: It's been awhile Gran Gran.

Gina: Do you know what happened to the last person who called me that?

Blaine: You mean me or the one before? Either way I still seem to be in one piece.

Gina: Charming as always. Frankly I feel kind of sorry for you. What with Eleazar trying to absorb your company.

Blaine: If he does, then he'll realize too late that it was poison.

Gina: Well if you ask nicely then I could help with that.

Blaine: I am sure you would. Now is there anything special I can help you with?

She got up and began to stare out the window.

Gina: Basically I happen to have a little info on your secret weapon that you made in your basement.

Blaine: Any specific ones? I seem to have several. A couple commissioned last year by you.

Gina: The one that is rediculously Sci-Fi. Dayon are dropping like flies lately and not because of a masked freak. Now don't tell me that you haven't put two and two together yet.

Blaine: I have been suspecting Ms. Vermire for awhile now.

Gina: Then you know that I am going to get that little project of yours. So basically this is a threat.

Blaine: Either get out of the way or I lose everything I have I take it.

Gina: You can't fight all of Al'Capone yourself and you know that.

Blaine: Your greed is legendary Ms. Al'Capone. However I do not wish to lose such a creation like I did with the A - -Cell. So I think it's only fitting that I declare war instead.

Gina: So you're going to throw away all you have that easily. I hope you haven't taken a liking to that over developed monster.

Blaine: You know that my tastes are more refined in that. I prefer the older type such as yourself. No I declare war simply because if I don't then you will have no schedule for the month.

Polly: You don't seem to understand your situation Mr. Blaine.

Without warning, two of the brutes picked Blaine out of his seat. Only to have Polly throw several punches to his face. Blaine's expression did not change at all. And to the shock of all but Gina, he was completely uninjured or bruised.

Blaine: You seem to have alot of large men at your disposal Gina.

Gina: You're not the only one who does experimentation.

Blaine: Of course. Mind if I make a little criticism?

Gina: By all means.

Blaine: I believe you put too much effort on their muscle mass. The size is fine but you can stand to put a little more energy on their ability to survive. And a tad more to their hand eye co-ordination. Like so-.

He slipped his hands free  and struck both brutes down without even looking at them or even taking a step.

Polly: You mother-

Gina on the other hand waved him off and gave such a delightful sounding line.

Gina: Polly, you just sit down and shut the fuck up. You could learn something from him you know.

Blaine appears to divert his attention away from Gina. He places his finger on his ear.

Blaine: I see. Issue command protocal "Charon". Admin approval "Blaine".

Gina: What happened? One of you're employees stepped out of line?

Blaine: You could say that. Now then I believe we still have a celebration to attend to.

Gina: You and I both know that the last thing you want to do is spend any more time around these suits and yes men.

Blaine: Well I did make some good donations to the Spire. And I have my own obligations to do. How about you?

Gina: The time frame of an Al'Capone is different from someone like you. If I want something done? It happens. And since you don't seem to interested in my peace offering. I'll just give you this as a warning.

Blaine: May the best person win.

________________________________________________________________________

                              There was a small handful of people climbing back to their feet. They were still shook up from the sinkhole that Vigilance had created.

Alice: Why did you say that I was you're leader?

Spicule: So that he goes for you first instead of me. Besides with any luck you'll kill that one at some point.

She wasn't exactly happy about that but right now it wasn't really worth thinking about. Alice noticed that Spicule had been speaking alot quieter than normal. As the other Devil Scar and Al'Capone members came to their senses they began pointing their weapons at one another. Thomas was still injured from the damage to his leg. Two of his subordinates had to help him up.

Thomas: What are you waiting for?! Kill them all!

They were about to throw down when Spicule tried to avoid the conflict.

Spicule: Keep the noise down idiots. No one fire a single shot.

Alice: I never thought you would be the first to back down from a battle.

Spicule: A lot of you people from the surface don't know this but there's a reason we avoid going into the sewers and the underground.

Thomas: I said kill them. If you're ignoring my own athority fine. . . but do any of you want to piss off Gran Gran?

It was then that something stranger was going on. All of them felt an unexplainable dread in their heart. Thomas then came face to face with the one person he feared most.

Gina?: You really can't do anything right can you.

Thomas: Mother . . . .

Gina?: I give you the simplest of chores to do and just fucked it up.

Thomas: How are you here? I haven't failed yet. The target is right infront of me. I just need a little more time.

Gina?: I'm sure you do. And then when I come you'll tell me the same thing. You do realize I've already taken you're name off of potential heir to the Al'Capone Family.

Thomas: I can fix this. I can fix this.

From Alice's point of view it appeared that he was talking to himself. She began to notice a similar pattern with everyone else that was down here.

Alice: What's going on? Can you see anything unusual Nova?

But she heard nothing.

Alice: Nova . . .?

When she looked around, Alie couldn't find anyone. As if they all dissapeared. Spicule was acting alot more cautious then he normally was. Perhapse this was the reason why.

Sengar?: You . . .

Alice: !?

Sengar?: You killed me . . .

What appeared to be Sengar charged at her. He had her by the throat before flinging her to the ground.

Alice: No . . . This doesn't make any sense.

Anthony?: Fucking with me was the biggest mistake that you have ever done bitch.

Alice: You too. You're not even dead.

Anthony?: We had a good thing going. I just needed someone to releave the stress of being Al'Capone. But you had to push it. It's all your fault that you're down here.

Alice: My fault?

Bianca: I warned you girlfriend. I saw you hear, in this plae. And here is where I stopped seeing you.

The three slowly approached her. And soon after a fourth appeared.

Havinger?: You ruined me. Do you know that? Did you enjoy humiliating me infront of everyone. And to add insult to injury you killed me.

Alice: . . . Yes . . . I did . . .

They all closed in on her with judgmental eyes.

Alice: I never intended to do it.

Havinger?: And you think that gives me my life back?

There was a thought that kept commingback to her. She knew she was guilty of this mans death. But Alice was not guilty of his life. The words that Red Raven had once spoken echoed in her mind. There is no heaven or hell waiting for any of us.

Alice: I'm sorry for your death . . . but I'm not sorry about your life.

She had been trying to tell herself for awhile that this was not real. But now she was straight out trying to reject it.

Alice: You are dead and you're never comming back.

She began to walk towards the group. When they were close enough to harm her. Alice instead walked right through them all.

Alice: You're all just memories.

Spicule: Back from hell aren't you girl.

Alice: Spicule?

Spicule: In the flesh. And for the record. I am no memory.

Alice: Where is everyone else?

Spicule: They're all scattered from the warning attack.

Alice: So it wasn't just me.

Spicule: Come. And try to keep it down. I don't want to get too close to it.

Alice: It?

Spicule: If you see black light comming from any tunnel. You run the fuck away. I also got to find the fat man and hope he's not too loud.

Alice: Why?

Spicule: Was going to use him as a hostage. I got a whole Syndicate to topple.

Alice: What makes you think that they won't just abandon him?

Spicule: Gina puts the advancement of her family before her own personal gain . . . To be fair she hardle ever has to do that but she will if it's needed.

They continued through the tunnels. Spicule was trying to get a response from his subordinates. The comm links were fine but he could only get giberish from them. Alice assumed that they were suffering their own personal hell. They were unaware of what was happening around them and could easily get lost. The Al'Capone men were targeted equally. Eventually they began to recognize Thomas's screams from the others. He was clawing a thick metalic door.

Alice: He's trapped in his own mind. Isn't he.

Spicule: Yeah and he's making too much damn noise.

Alice: I got through it eventually.

Spicule: You were also alot quieter then the fatass. I got an easier way to get him out of that.

He held Thomas down and began choking him. Alice wasn't sure why Spicule was suddenly attacking him.

Alice: What are you doing?!

Spicule: His own brain is being used against him. I'm just slowing air and blood flow to it. Brain starts to slow down and then I do this.

On qeu he let go of Thomas's neck and then struck his gut. Spicule had transformed his hand giving it the nuclear properties. He quickly reverted it back as Thomas reacted to his attack. Thomas was struggliing to regain his breath.

Thomas: *Cough* . . . Wh-What the hell . . .

Spicule: Welcome back to reality fatman. Now do shut up. I don't want you pissing it off.

Thomas: It?

Spicule: Yeah . . . It. Now c'mon before it shows up.

Thomas: I'm not letting you use me as a hostage. You have no idea what Gina would do to me.

Spicule: Trust me the alternative is worse.

He began dragging Thomas by the legs. When Thomas began getting too loud, he simply gave him a blow to the head. Alice had her attention turned to the metalic door however. She felt like there was something important about it. She took notice of the Omenyx logo on the side. It was covered in dust an webs but she could still make it out.

Alice: Have you ever been through this door here?

Spicule: Nope. That door can withstand a nuke. If I had more time I might be able to get through it.

Alice: It was owned by Omenyx at one point . . . I wonder if I can . . .

She tried to touch the security console. Almost as though there was something calling to her. Even if she can't get a response, Nova might be able to open the door. It at first sounded as though the door was accepting her command. The locks began to disengage.

Spicule: Well I'll be damned.

At first things seemed to be going well. Until the door itself began to open. It was increadably rusty leaving a painful screeching sound as it struggled to open. The door stopped trying to open. Spicule had a worried look on hi face and grabbed Alice's hand.

Spicule: Ok funs over. Help me carry fatso here.

He gave her almost no room to argue back. She was forced to help Thomas to his feet. Alice knew that Spicule was a man who laughs in the face of death. Whatever "It" was, it was capable of giving him fear. Nova was still unresponsive. And another problem occured. She found her Novus form to share the same issue. She could hear Spicule trying to order all his men to take the nearest exit out of the underground. But all he heard in return was terrifying screams, followed by static and dead air. They crossed paths with madness driven Al'Capone's and Mercs. They all seemed too interested in fighting with eachother than anything else.

Spicule: Don't stop to help them. They're fucked no matter what.

As they ran past them. Alice could see the black light that Spicule mentioed comming from one of the tunnels. There was no way to confirm what it was because of the angle, but as the light got thicker. She began to feel a sense of dread in her chest. Something horrible was around the corner.

________________________________________________________________________

                     Both Zoey and Todd were trying to make a run for it from Bruiser. Todd was only a class E Dayon. Even if he could fire bolts of concentrated Neon, they weren't very effective against Bruisers stone skin. Bruiser took a swing at Todd sending him flying into debris.

Bruiser: Spicule really gives you kids alot of breathing room. The boss said I can't do any lasting damage to you and I won't. Just make this easy on us both.

Standing in his shadow. Zoey didn't really have many options in dealing with this. But she was getting pretty sick of being abducted and tied up.

Zoey: You feel like a big man now? Must be nice when you can turn into a massive stone monster.

Bruiser: It be a pain in the ass trying to catch a thrashing little gopher. And this form makes it easier to catch you without harming you. The boss needs you alive and I don't plan on betraying him now.

There were some more neon shots being fired to Bruisers right.

Todd: Common you jackass!

He tried to distract Bruiser but in retaliation the mighty golem only raised his arm towards him.

Bruiser: If you survive this, then I'll offer you one last chance to give yourself to Devil Scar.

From the simetrical pours on his stone skin. He launched a burst of black spheres at Todd. Zoey could smell the black smoke. The smell of gun powder. He tried to take cover but was caught by the shock of the explosions instead. Zoey only had one option left. Before he grabbed her she took ahold of a sharp piece of metal from the junk pile. At first she was making attempts to stab his hand.

Bruiser: Kid . . . Stop embarrassing yourself. Seriously, why would you think that you could hurt me with that?

She stopped for a moment. And looked towards the stoned giant.

Zoey: I know that. I'm just messing with you.

Without warning, Zoey stabbed herself through the heart. Coughing and leaving Bruiser stuned.

Bruiser: What . . . What the hell are you doing you suicidal moron?!

Zoey: T-testing . . . a . . . thhhhheeoorryy . . . . .

For a moment she remained still. But in a matter of seconds, she could feel her body begin to resist the death approaching her. The wound began to close along with an intense rush going to her head. She began to feel that intense itch return to her arms. This time they came out as long curved blades. Almost on a flinch she struck Bruiser through his wrists. It pierced through the stone skin like it was made out of brittle chalk. Bruiser through her away shaking his hand. As she got back to her feet, Zoey noticed that there was blood on the blades. Whatever the metal was, she could feel it spreading across her body. She still had a human shape but stood at least 9 feet tall.

Bruiser: Well what do you know . . . You were one of us all along.

Zoey: Bite me.

Bruiser: Fine, well do this the hard way. Not sure what class you are but I bet you're a lot better then that other guy if you can hurt me.

She knew she would have to try and get used to Dayon capabilities quickly. Bruiser had the advantage on her in not just size and strength but experience as well. But she might be able to take advantage of the fact that he's not allowed to do any lasting damage. He fired only two more gunpowder spheres at her. Her only option at the moment was to duck in cover. It was a strange feeling for her to even do that and her legs felt like she was walking on stilts. Bruiser began plowing through the debris and remove the cover. Her plan was to get behind him and maybe do some more effective damage from behind. looking at the blades stretching from her arms she wondered if there was still electricity running through them. There were signs of it but it was at a low level. The best it could do is give a quick jolt. She carefully moved to higher ground just as Bruiser was passing through. She leaped to his back, blades first. Bruiser flintched from the stinging feeling. She began to climb using the blades as mountain climbing hooks while trying to stay in the one place he couldn't reach. Zoey had to move fast as Bruiser began ramming his back to the piles of junk trying to scrape her off his back. She got as close to one of the open holes on his right shoulder and struck her blade in. A small explosion could be heard from the hole in his shoulder. The blast consequently threw her off. She landed on her back and was a little shaken from the shock. This wpuld have beem more sevear if it wasn't for this metal carapace. Bruiser's right hand was shaky from the wound but he could still move.

Bruiser: God . . . That hurt like hell . . . Not bad for a rookie.

Zoey: Wanna keep going?

Bruiser: You're not exactly in good shape yourself are you kid. Still I'd rather stop here. Otherwise I'll have to get serious.

Zoey: Guess taking a loss is better then answering to Spicule isn't it. What about Todd?

Bruiser: Pretty sure he's dead. He was only a Class E after all.

Zoey: To hell with all of you Devil Scar people. I got to go and find a friend of mi-ugghhh

She felt something strike her from behind. Zoey looked around but couldn't see anyone. Another hit followed. Along with a few more. There was someone around but she couldn't see who.

Bruiser: You done your job already?

Figment: Of course. Why the hell are you messing around with this kid?

One of Spicules lieutenants had revealed herself. She had a snake like body and long claw arms to back up. Zoey could see her become less and less transparent.

Figment: What are you doing all the way out here?

Zoey: . . . Looking for my friend. You're doorman was pretty easy to fool.

Figment: Who was incharge of watching the captives?

Bruiser: Hive was assigning jobs for everyone. I think it was Bert.

Figment: Bert?! If we were keeping a sponge that was in cement, he would find away to let it escape! At least you had the excuse of taking on a fellow Dayon.

Zoey: . . . What about the other one . . .?

Figment: Oh, you mean the skinny guy right? Found him on my way back. Speaking of that, we got a problem Bruiser.

Bruiser: What?

Figment: The boy had a nail through his shoulder.

Zoey: Is he-!

Figment: No he ain't dead. He has to be the first person who has survived an encounter with that murdering psycho.

Bruiser: The birds down here?! Ok I'll go regroup with Vomer and try to track him down. Do me a favor and take our new family member back.

Figment: You sure you want to do the harder job with a broken shoulder?

Bruiser: It'll heal. Besides you're faster.

________________________________________________________________________

               Alice and Spicule could still hear something chasing after them. They could hear the screaming from the people behind them. Whatever it was, it wasn't slowing down. They came into another cluster of Devil Scar and Al'Capone members. Most of them were still in their nightmares. They were only halfway through the croud when a massive chilling sensation befell the three of them. They could all feel it. It was their own nightmares trying to resurface. Alice tried resist the mental attacks as best as she could. It wasn't perfect but she was at least able to stay aware of what was happening around her. However this slowed them all down long enough for it. Black light filled the whole chamber. The mental attacks stopped and everyone was now free to gaze upon the terror. Alice slowly turned to look at it. This horrable being that had no definate shape.

Spicule: Don't go too far from me girl.

Alice: . . .What . . . is this . . .?

Spicule: We call it the Abyss.

There was no signs of Nova responding. She could only take Spicules word to describe it. Looking into it was indeed like an Abyss. To make matters worse she could hear voices emminating from it. Something vaguely looking like faces were warped through it it's being. Just the sight alone would stun tthe courage of anyone. And then it made it's first move. Tendrils formed from it, reaching out to the many victims about. Alice felt something trying to draw her towards every part of Abyss. From behind she saw Thomas flying towards one of the tendrils. Spicule tried to grab his hand but missed at the last second.

Spicule: Shit!

Thomas was able to grab Alice's arm as he was going past her. She was able to hold her ground.

Thomas: Please no . . . Help me!!!!!

She saw something happen to Thomas. His hand was getting smaller. The pitch of his voice was getting higher. Before she even had a chance to react he lost his grip and was flying straight into the small bright light of the tendrils. He was shrinking into it, along with everyone else caught in their gaze. They moved to focus on her now. Spicule was fighting against the tug as well.

Nova: Critical. Reason. Error. Adgadent.

Alice: Nova?

The teal circit like vanes covered Alice's body. As if it was trying to protect her from the light of the Abyss. She tried to crawl away from the Abyss, tryng to draw her in. Spicule was now about to be it's next victim. The same shrinking was starting to happen to him as well. But unlike the rest, he was much more confident.

Spicule: Don't move girl.

He immediatly changed into his Dayon form. He kicked the air and flowing from his leg came a fan of raging nuclear fire. His own size returned to normal and the tugging had stopped. The Abyss was being pushed back, trying to resist the fallout. Alice was starting to see static once again from the side effects.

Spicule: Time to go!

He picked her up and ran like hell for the exit. Whenever he started to feel it drawing him into it he retaliated with another blast. Finally they exited the underground catacombs. Once he was certain that the Abyss did not pursuit, he returned to his human form.

Alice: Shouldn't we keep moing . . .?

Spicule: . . . I'm watching our asses. And they should be here any minute.

However he was shocked to see it again. The Abyss began to pursuit them farther than he had expected. Alice was ready to run but instead Spicule had them hide in the debris.

Alice: What are you-

Spicule: Shhhh . . .

It was clear to Alice that hiding did them no good. But Spicule wasn't a fool. He did not have them hide from the Abyss. Flying over their heads she saw the Reavers. They converged on the Abyss.

Spicule: Took him long enough.

Among them was another Reaver wearing an Advent coat.

Alice: Another Advent?

Spicule: Yep. That there is Testament.

Like the others he was bald. But his body wasn't suffering from matabolism failure nearly as much as the others. He began firing dark purple spheres from his hands at the Abyss. The other Reavers began bombarding it with energy blasts as well. There was no signs that theyu were hurting it but they seemed to be driving it off. Alice and Spicule watched from the distance. The Abyss was retreating and the Reavers chased after it into the underground. They took a sigh of relief.

Spicule: Thank god that's over.

Alice: . . .

Spicule: You ok girl?

Alice: I'm alive and still me anyway.

Spicule: That's the first time the Abyss came out that far. Usually it gives up once you get to the surface.

Alice: Because of the Reavers I take it. But why would it turn and run from them. They weren't hurting it either.

Spicule: Couldn't tell you. I never stuck around long enough to study the damn thing . . . And now it took a good number of my crew. And I lost my captive. Oh well.

Alice: . . . What a fool I was.

Spicule: About what?

Alice: Before I was thinking that you had an anti social disorder.

Spicule: Ahhahah. Oh really? What gave you that idea?

She was silent but Spicule could tell.

Spicule: Oh right, with the way I introduced myself. Let me guess whoever aggitates you has an anti social disorder. You trying to be a psychiatrist or something?

Alice: I guess you could say that . . .

Spicule: You're autistic and you had prosthetics in your legs before. Something tells me that you wanting that job was a last resort instead of a dream there girl.

She had nothing in response. Because what he said was true.

Spicule: Heh. Doesn't seem to matter what level of the city you're on. You'll get fucked one way or another. Well I think it's time I honored my end of the deal. Those Reavers will be busy with that thing for awhile so this is a good time.

They finished up their conversation and made there way back to Spicule's camp. After some time had passed they saw Vomer approaching.

Spicule: Vomer old buddy. How are you doing?

Vomer: . . .Bad news . . .

Spicule: I know. We lost alot more then we should have. Raubtier's going to be Dayon for awhile so no one approach him. If he comes to camp I'll take care of him.

Vomer: We also . . . lost another . . . We lost . . . Hive.

Spicule rushed towards Vomer grabbing his bandages. Bringing Vomer down to Spicules face.

Spicule: I swear to god I will kill you if this is a joke!

But Vomer showed no signs that it was a joke. Spicule demanded to know where and soon went charging off to the place where Hive died. Alice chose to follow him.

Chapter End Notes:

Finally managed to get all my core pieces established. These last couple of chapters I will have to go back and re-work.

Please let me know of anyway I can make improvements. I don't mind critisism at all because it's the kind of thing I need to get myself in the right direction.