- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Factions

Tuwa Foundation: Non-Profit organization determined to repair the damage dealt by the Nuclear Holocaust. Other groups have been trying to shut it down for various reasons.

Omenyx Inc: The worlds most powerful independant corporation and where Ayous energy originated. It is believed that they are working on a new breakthrough that will benifit the world.

The Conclave: They are the group that united the cities and brought order to the ruined world. Capable of managing almost all activities within the Cities.

The Al Capone Syndicate: Considered to be the rulers of the city, second only to the Conclave. They are responcible for massive orphan trafficing and many other illegal activities.

Devil Scar: A group that showed up only a few years ago. But they are a force that has become increasingly threatening to the order that was established. Unlike the Syndicate, all of the members are proud to speak the name of their leader, Spicule.

                   In the morning, Soki had announced that Alice, Fredrick, Zoey and Daniel had been transfered to a new school and were expected to be there on time. No one really felt thrilled about being given such a short notice. Alice chose not to mention it because as a District Police Chief. Soki probably get next to no sleep, and gets up at 2:30am. Compared to that a single day of inconvinience for them would seem pathetic to someone like Soki.

They each went to their home rooms. Zoey made a lasting impression as the new girl. Some of the demos to her horror stories grabbed the attention of some. Fredrick wasn't as thrilled with his home room as it consisted mostly of guys. And to his eyes the few girls there wern't anything special. One of them did try to make a little teaser on him but showed no reaction. He wasn't sure if the girl reminded him of Bianca, or if he was starting to grow out of his usual habbits. Daniel seemed to maintain a closed off approach instead. It didn't take him long to blend in with the rest of his home room.

Alice on the other hand couldn't really blend in at all. Being a bit over six feet tall with an over the top figure. The outfits that Zoey got her could only conceal so much. The teacher did try to get the class started but Alice could tell that she would be hearing this after class. If it wasn't for her face, no one would really think she was 17. The girls were more of an issue then the guys. There were many mixed opinions from everyone but the irritating ones were those asking what her secret was. The lunch break started and Alice finally got a moment to herself.

Nova: I do not see much of a difference in this place as your previous educational institute.

Alice: Usually there isn't. But honestly I liked it better when I was smaller. People didn't bother me as much. I don't suppose you can reverse the growth can you?

Nova: To do such a thing means I would have to harmfully remove cells from your body. You may get the appearance you wish but at the cost of motor or cerebral functions.

Alice: How about at least prevent it further and put it into my Novus form instead?

Nova: Impossible. Any changes to one form will affect the other. I cannot simply scatter reconstruction into the air. The best I can do is keep it at it's mimimum output. Any more and I risk overloading your body. The only other option to stop your growth would be for us to be separated.

Alice: Then I guess it's all I got to work with for now.

Nova: Theoretically there is still time. But I do not like the idea.

Alice: So you don't want a body of your own. Or maybe you don't want to leave mine.

Nova: . . . I cannot say. Any time I try, there are other sub systems that shut down such thoughts. So if I have thought about something that concerns my own exsistance, it is immediatly intercepted.

Alice: So . . . it's not that you won't take on an identity, it's that you cant . . .? How could my parents design you with your own thoughts but not allow you to have free will?

Nova: It was originally the idea but due to an issue with my predecessor. My maker David Blane had protocals installed to prevent me from establishing my own parameters.

Alice: Your predecessor . . . so another A.B.M.E. before you. What happened?

Nova: My functions were still under development at the time. If I had any information then I would need Admin approval.

Alice: Blaine . . . I really don't know what to think about him. Daniel doesn't like him but he did save Linus's organization. I just might have to go to him if I can't find my father any time soon.

As Alice continued through the hallway she noticed some fliers for after school clubs. She personally could never find one she liked. As she came down the hall way she found Daniel in line for the music clup try outs.

Daniel: Surprised to see me here?

Alice: A bit yes. You're ok with this right?

Daniel: It's worth a shot anyway. Just wish my fingers would work better.

Alice: Your fingers? What's wrong with them?

Daniel: It's nothing serious, just ache's a little.

Alice: Hold on. I know a little something that will help.

She gently took his hand and demonstrated a simple massage. In short it was to relieve the stress from your hands and fingers.

Alice: They feel any better?

Daniel paused for a moment. It was hard to tell if he was testing his hands or if he was just being shy.

Daniel: I think they'll work better . . . Thank you.

Alice stuck around for his little performance. She really did enjoy the melody Daniel played last time. But he might know others as well.

Nova: There was something off about him . . .

Alice was careful when speaking to Nova so that others couldn't hear her reply.

Alice: Off? Not as in he's a Dayon off right?

Nova: Not in the slightest. Alot of his internal organs aren't functioning at a healthy capacity. Physical contact with him also revealed that his bones are brittle.

Alice: You mean . . . he's been moving this whole time on sheer willpower?

Nova: Possibly.

She thought to herself about all the times he was attacked. He never really fought back at all. Maybe he just couldn't. Another thought crossed her head. When they fell in the park. What would have happened if she fell on top of him. By the time she came back to earth, Daniels try out was finished. The teacher Mr. Parker was over joyed along with alot of others.

Parker: You know Daniel I honesntly think you should be our lead pianist.

Daniel: You don't really need to go that far. I'm fine with a side role.

Parker: Are you kidding?! That kind of skill only comes once in a blue moon. What's say everyone else?

Most of the others approved with the exception of one.

Anthony: But Mr. Parker. I got to that position fair and square. You can't just drop me just like that. And who is this little nobody anyway?

Parker: . . . Well Anthony it is a try out right now. Alright, my apologies everyone but were going to have to figure out who will be taking what part. I'll be right back and get this cleared up.

In a hurry he bolted out of the room. Alice remembered that voice and name. Anthony was a stuck up play ground bully from middle school. To think he hadn't changed at all since then. But probably the worst offender is the teacher who just took off. Daniel won and now he has to figure out something? It was just like it was in mid school. The teachers always elected certain kids to be their personal rock stars. That aggitated Alice more then Anthonies bickering.

Anthony: The hell does that pissant think he is. "I gotta figure this out" and all that crap. And who is this little nobody anyway?

Daniel: Doesn't matter to me anyway. You can have your lolly pop.

Anthony: The fuck did you just say?!

In seconds he had Daniel by the shirt.

Anthony: You'd better watch your mouth there.

Daniel: Got a mirror?

Anthony: What?!

Daniel: Can't exactly watch my own mouth without a mirror. Maybe my lower lip but that's about it.

His sarcasm finally connected to Anthony. Daniel had no intention of giving him any respect.

Anthony: Oh you think that's funny you little fuck?!

As he was getting his fist wound up, Alice rushed to intercept. If Nova was right then Daniel really can't handle too much abuse. She tried to avoid doing anything too extreme. Primarily she just broke Anthony's grip on Daniel.

Anthony: Who the hell . . . holy shit? I thought you were a teacher or something.

Anthony was about 5' 9" but he still looked short compared to Alice at this point.

Anthony: Well damn, so who are you. His big sister or something?

Alice: You really don't recognize me at all do you Anthony.

Anthony: Can't say that I d- . . . He wait a minute? Chubby Ally?!

Alice: I see you haven't grown up in the slightest.

Suddenly all the respect that Anthony accumulated from the music try outs was slipping. The other guys and girls started seeing nothing more then a six year old having a tantrum.

Anthony: Oh so you think you're all tough just because you shot up a few inches?

Alice: I will never understand why you think by being as violent as possible will win you any respect. To get respect for a rotten attitude you need a complicated past or a redeeming quality. You have neither.

His anger was about to peak as he reached for something in his pocket. But it was then that Mr Parker returned.

Parker: Alright, everyone I had a talk with the other teachers and the principle. It seems that both Daniel and Anthony will have to choose among themselves who will be the lead pianist-

Daniel: I decline.

Parker: I'm sorry but what do you mean by I decline?

Daniel: As in I don't really feel like taking part.

Parker: But wait. You were doing so well.

Daniel: Yes and you refused to make a choice. But instead passed it to everyone else. I don't need a teacher like you.

Parker: Look. You need to understand-

Daniel ignored the teacher with Alice right behind him. As they went down the hall way Alice stopped Daniel.

Alice: If you're fine with this then I'll support what you choose. But you really looked like you were enjoying everything until Anthony.

Daniel: I don't like playing for people like that. But thanks for your concern.

Alice: Wait. You mean everyone except Anthony and Parker?

Daniel: Once Anthony started to make a move. The rest of them did nothing. I'd rather play for those who actually have a care. You were the only one who took action.

Alice: I . . . well. I don't like seeing people attack you. And well I could see where Anthony was going the second Mr. Parker took off.

Daniel: I actually don't blame Mr. Parker. Did you by any chance get Anthony's last name?

Alice: To be honest I never liked the guy so I tried to know as little about him as possible. I guess you could say that he was one of my playground bullies back in middle school.

Daniel: Your reasons make sense but I wouldn't push him around too much. Because his last name is Al Capone.

Soki warned her that members of the Al Capone Syndicate were responcible for breaking into her house not too long ago. But she never thought that Anthony was an Al Capone himself.

Daniel: Anthony himself may not be a threat but Soki made it sound like the Al Capone's were hard core mafia.

________________________________________________________________________

School finally ended leaving everyone to storm out of the building. Alice and Daniel decided to return to Soki's straight away. For all they knew. Anthony could just ask a relative of theirs to well "retire them". On their way back they discovered a large croud by the park that they were at last night.

Anngy protesters were forming a blockade in front of the huge machinery ready to demolish it. They found Police Chief Soki along with the rest of his squad trying to keep the peace.

Protester: Get those things off of our park you dipshits!

Foreman: Don't make us pancake you hippies, we got a Job to do!

Both sides argued against one another. The foreman was attempting to get Chief Soki to clear them out but because they were using a passive agressive methode. Soki didn't have the athority to use force. Alice and Daniel came across Brian close to the boarder.

Alice: Did the whole neighborhood come in protest?

Brian: This is like 6 neighborhoods packed into one. Honestly it doesn't surprise me that everyone got pissed off about the renovations to this place.

Daniel: . . . I don't see anyone from the Tuwa Foundation.

Brian: That's because the Tuwa Foundation doesn't have the political power to stop this. If they started comming now then they could be in serious trouble. And Soki's already on edge because Zoey went missing.

Alice: What?! But I just saw her earlier this morning.

As time passed a limo came onto the site. And outstepped the owner of the construction company. He approached Soki in too calm of a demenor.

Thomas: Good afternoon Mr. Police Chief I am Thomas. Now that the pleasantries are out of the way. Why do I have a bunch of stupid little natz getting in the way of my buisness?

Soki: They are people who live in the surrounding area and they simply-

Thomas: I don't give a horse shit about what they want. I want to know what you are going to do about getting rid of them.

Soki: I'm a police officer. It's not like I can just open fire or launch tear gas on civillians.

Thomas: Well these civillians aren't exactly being very cival right now. So you Mr. Police Officer should be maintaining order the way we tell you.

The two continued to argue while tensions were getting higher for the protesters and the workers. It was then Daniel Noticed a few people behind the construction machines. He couldn't properly make them out but he could tell that they were tampering with the A Cells used to power them.

Alice: Brian . . . Who's that guy arguing with Soki?

Brian: I heard that his name was Tomas Al or something like that.

Alice: Tomas Al . . . Al'Capone?!

Brian: What?

Alice: That man is an Al'Capone . . .

Soki continued to argue with Thomas.

Thomas: Ok then this is the deal. I got 50 grand on me to make these little flys . . . well, go away. And I can certainly cover up any loose ends.

Soki: What kind of twisted officer do you take me for?

Thomas: A pretty moronic one that's for sure.

Brian: Chief . . . That guy's an Al'Capone!

Thomas: Yeah so what of it kid? Now unless you want to see your little princess again I suggest you start making something work here.

Soki: !!!

Soki pulled out his weapon.

Soki: If you harm her then I will bring down my entire department on you.

Thomas: Oh see that's the thing. They are going to find her crushed in one of our machines. Particularly the one with the drill and will, juice her up real good. A little on the job accident is what the media will say.

Soki moved his blade close to Thomas's neck.

Soki: Her life is now linked to yours.

Thomas: I wouldn't do that if I was you. Because not only can I turn it on remotly, I also am an Al Capone. This is our city and when we want something to happen. It happens.

He switched on one of the construction machines.

Thomas: None of my concern what happens to her in the end. One of my favorite employees almost lost his eye trying to nab that piece of work there. You probably should get her under control if she lives. So make up your mind right now.

In that very same second there were smoke bombs lobbed into the croud and where the construction vehicles were parked. Both Soki and Thomas seemed surprised. Nether one of them ordered for such things. Alice, Brian and Daniel became scattered in the croud. Alice and Soki were trying to make it to Zoey in time. Brian attempted to keep track of Thomas.

To make things more difficult there were more then just smoke bombs going off. The floor began to crumble creating an opening. There were some people hanging for their lives. Soki was closest to Zoey and had enough time to reach Zoey. Brian lost track of Thomas Al Capone only to find more people about to fall. As he was helping up the few he could he noticed Daniel making his way to the E Cells. More bombs went off as another hole opened up with Daniel in close proximity. Brian managed to catch him before he fell.

Brian: What are you doing Daniel?!

Daniel: Those E Cells are close to detonation. Someone tampered with their stasis containment.

Brian: Stasis? . . . You mean they actually need a stasis cell to keep them in check?

Daniel: Yes and they are about to break free.!

But there was no longer any time to get there from their position. Soki was able to pry Zoey from the drill bit to the vehicle. But they were also too close to the E Cells.

Brian: Everyone get away from that Drilling machine!

As Soki and Zoey were fleeing the drill. The A Cells went critical and exploded. They were both caught in the Ayous's blast. It shook the floor wide open. Soki was thrown farther then Zoey crashing into debris. Zoey was barely holding on to the edge of the hole as it crumbled off. Brian and Daniel could not outrun the crumbling floor and they began to fall. Alice too began to fall trowing the child up to safety.

As they fell, Alice switched to her Novus form and reached out for who ever was closest to her. But the only people she was able to catch were Zoey, Daniel and Brian. The rest were too far for her to get or were killed by the falling debris before they hit the ground. They continued to fall into the lower level of the city. Alice used an old ruined sky scrapper to slow the fall and land with everyone else safe. Once she was sure the area was stable from the falling debris she reverted back to her normal state.

Brian: *Cough* . . . God the altitude and the dust down here give me a head ache.

Alice: Everyones ok right?

Daniel: You should check Zoey before anyone else.

She was breathing. Her body looked like it was steaming.

Zoey: *Cough,Cough* . . . Yeah I'm alive.

They all got their heads together after about thirty minutes and Observed the hole in the floor above the ruined city.

Zoey: Wouldn't mind the treck back to the top if it wasn't a vertical problem.

Brian: Best thing we can do is look for one of the elevators. But no one trust anyone down here that you don't know.

Alice: How bad is it down here.

Brian: This is basically the no camera zone. The Al'Capones make a good 40% of their fortune down here. And then there's Dayon to worry about. Oh and of course unless I can convince the Conclave soldiers down here that we are from the mid level then we got to worry about them as well.

Daniel: Then we move quietly.

Zoey: At least we can see the elevator shafts from here.

They began their long treck. They did their best to keep a low profile. Many of the buildings were run down and crumbled. The ones that wern't were owned by a corporation or the Conclave or worst of all the Al'Capone's. The people dow below were disfigured and treated like garbage.

Nova: Many class E Dayon detected. But I would notconsider them a threat as of yet.

Alice: So class E aren't even within your threat levels then.

Nova: They cannot transform so what you see of them is for the most part what to expect.

Brian: God damn those Al'Capones are completly messed up. I mean seriously, how do they have the time to kidnap people and then bomb the floor AND make an E Cell go critical?!

Zoey: What can I say. My dad knows how to make enemies out of people. He told me that lately they started slipping up and he's been hammering them since then. They probably had this planned for awhile.

Alice: Recently?

Zoey: In the last week my dad found several of their illegal operations.

Daniel: How did he pull that off? I thought the Al'Capones had good lawyers?

Zoey: Yeah but the thugs that worked their were murdered and Soki had authorization to do a sweep of the area because of a man slaughter case. They were able to make bail and protect the top guys sure. But these murders kept happening and they probably wanted my dad out of the way. He absolutly refuses to be bought by anyone.

________________________________________________________________________

They spent about two hours walking toawrds the shafts. As they got closer they noticed there were fewer Class E Dayon. But Nova began to detect several class C in the area. But then Nova detected something apart from the class C's

Nova: I detect two life forms comming this way.

Alice: Hold it guys. Nova's got something.

Daniel: Are they comming at us?

Nova: One of them is human sized but I cannot identify what and the other is a Class D.

Alice: So one man and one Class D.

Brian: Wait what does the Class D look like.

Zoey: Shhh there it is.

They noticed someone wrapped in brown rags running from the class D. Brian's eyes widened when he saw who it was.

Brian: Hive . . .!

???: Stay away from me! I've done nothing to you!

Hive: The, bad, person, . . .

He immediatly paused when he saw Brian and began to distance himself when he saw Alice.

Hive: Spicule. You, must, come, to, see, Spicule. He, can, help, you.

Hive then took off leaving a web trail. They then turned their attention to the paniced man on the ground. Covered in rags they couldn't even see his face. They tried to calm him down.

???: Th-thank you . . .

Brian: Jesus man relax. The spiders gone for now.

???: he-he always c-comes back . . . took everyone else away.

Daniel: Why?

???: I-I don't know. They k-keep rounding up people.

Brian: Just get you nerves calmed down. Trust me you got a good body guard here now.

???: But I-I have no money.

Alice: It's free of charge. Maybe you can also tell us what's going on down here. For example who you are. I'm Alice, and that's Brian. His name's Daniel and her names Zoey.

???: Zoey?! I know that name . . . heard st-stories about you.

Zoey: What?! how do you know me?

???: Are y-you by any chance Soki's d-daughter?

Zoey: Wait who are you first of all and how would you even know that?

Jamaal: My name is Jamaal Zaxz.

Zoey: My dads old war buddy?! But he said that you were all dead.

Jamaal: I suppose legally I am.

________________________________________________________________________

After he calmed down a bit Jamaal got a chance to tell his story.

Jamaal: It was my fault that your father lost his place in the military.

Brian: What did you try to axe him and move up in the world?

Jamaal: No. Soki was the closest thing to a father I ever had. It was the other two who I tried to get rid of.

Daniel: So they tried to back stab him and you got in the way.

Jamaal: Yes . . . Bernard and Rico were both horrible people in different ways. Soki was the only one of us I could think of as human.

Alice: What about you?

Jamaal: I'd rather not talk about that but I don't think of myself as human.

Zoey: You know I think I should be thanking you rather then hate you.

Jamaal: Why? . . . I-I ruined your fathers career.

Zoey: Exactly. He was able to come home again . . . I only wish you did it a few days earlier. Then my mom might have made it. I'll tell you another day.

Daniel: I think we should focus on the here and now. Do you know anything about Devil Scar or the Al Capones down here?

Jamaal: . . . Others are terrified of the Al Capone Syndicate

Daniel: And Devil Scar?

Jamaal: They used to be part of the Al Capones. They were called the Pit of Freaks before. The Al Capones are run by the oldest family member. Gina Al Capone but they usually just call her Gran Gran. Every once in awhile she would have many people who were any class above D beaten and whipped into submission. And she indulged in every minute of it. The money, the tourture. Everyone was pretty much at her mercy.

Alice: But you're speaking in past tense.

Jamaal: Yeah . . . all that changed when Spicule showed up. It didn't take long for him to liberate all the captive Dayon.

Brian: And Gina who was suppost to be all powerful could do nothing to stop him?

Jamaal: She had the power but that was her biggest down fall. She got too comfortable with one sided battles. Too complaicant . . .

Alice: Where'd he come from?

Jamaal: Not sure . . . The guy just showed up one day and then things started changing. Now there's a large turf war going on down here. And the way that Devil Scar keeps recruting Dayon. They probably will have enough man power to take on a country. It's best that you all get back to the top.

Zoey: That will be difficult since we don't exactly have a key to the shafts.

Jamaal: No but Devil Scar knows a way.

Alice: . . . I did see several of their B classes top side.

Brian: They probably are waiting for us though.

Jamaal: If they wanted you all dead then they would have sent an army here. If you can bargan with Spicule. Then you might be able to get back to the mid level.

Alice: Then I guess we got no choice.

Daniel: . . .

Jamaal: I'll take you there . . .

Zoey: That spider left us a trail though. You don't have to.

Jamaal: I owe this to your father. And I'm not sure if Hive has given you the right trail.

________________________________________________________________________

They followed Jamaal through the ruined city and into what would look like a junk pile. As they progressed the webs split into different directions. Fortunatly Jamaal knew which were the fake trails. After another hour or so they came to an open space with a ring of scrap metal around it.

Nova: I am detecting multiple classes of Dayon around us.

Alice: How many?

Nova: Somethings interfearing with my scanners. I can't get an accurate count. I estimate over 70.

Alice: Please tell me they are Class E. I had a hard time dealing with three Class C and a Class B at once.

Jamaal: Not sure who you're talking to but they probably are here to see Spicule as well.

They stopped when they saw a very small boy in the center. He was wearing a childs winter get up. He was increadably pale and his eyes were almost pitch black save for a grey light. Brian put two and two together first. It was Hive in his human form.

Hive: Hive, did, good, today. Spicule, will, be, pleased.

Brian: Yeah Hive . . . We walked into your trap. So if you're going to show us to Spicule then lead the way.

Hive: There, is, no, need.

Zoey: What do you mean there is no need.

Daniel was the first to understand Hive's words. He tried to move as fast as he could pulling out a box cutter. He took a swing at Jamaal. But before he even noticed, Jamaal had already broken the extra blades off at the thin cutted area.

Jamaal: Good attempt but I would have used a better knife.

Jamaal grabbed Daniels arm and tripped him to the ground. Brian reacted pulling out his pistol. But using the same broken off parts to the box cutter he tossed it just above brians eye brow. The cut was deep enough to cause blood to spill over Brians eyes. He then rushed over and kicked Brian directly in the funny bone. At the same time balancing on just one leg, he grabbed Zoey and tossed her into the air. Another Dayon leaped and caught her while to more dragged Daniel and Brian to the side.

Jamaal: Tada . . . . Now it's just you and me girl. Your move.

He tossed off his rags. He was wearing a sleavless dark green shirt and military cargo pants and boots. He was mostly South African but he might have had some other races mixed in as well. Pitch black natural dreads and standing about 5' 7" feet tall. Partially Muscular but he favored to be more agile then muscular. She could not see any Dayon deformities except for his golden reptilian eyes.

Nova: I . . . I didn't even detect any movements from him.

Alice: So it was all an act . . .

Jamaal: oh I didn't tell any lies to you girl. I just didn't want your friends to get caught in your way. Hive always told me that Mr. Riggs over there was a good shot. Little girl Zoey might have inherrited some of her old mans tendancies. And I mean common. That other guy you brought down here . . . HE TRIED TO KILL ME. I'm the victim here.

Alice was already on her guard but this was different from Bianca, Hive or Cryophyte. She was preparing for an attack.

Nova: Alice Wait! I can't get a reading on him. I'm not sure why but there's something jamming my scan.

Jamaal: Ok so there was one thing I didn't tell you. I haven't used the name Jamaal in years.

Alice: So then . . .

Spicule: That's right baby! I'm Spicule

He celebrated his name with a wide grin and an instense gaze. Alice now stood face to face with the leader of Devil Scar.

Chapter End Notes:

I might come back and redo this chapter if I start finding somethings too complicated but I hope you all enjoyed my introduction of Spicule. I've been trying to get to him for awhile now.