- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

This is a fun work in progress I've always wanted to do and I needed a break from school and Glitter. So many ideas over a long course of time have popped into my head in writing this so I just hope it comes out clean and concise later on. So much could happen! Blah, you don't understand my excitement :)

Reid had come to terms with the truth: he was completely smitten with her. Rivalry and teasing all throughout middle school came back to his mind and things essentially hadn’t changed since the good old days. Lauren Nguyen was now his superior in every way imaginable: grades, chair, networking, and almost everything else you could imagine. He was beneath her more so than ever and it just fueled his attraction.

    The trumpets wailing behind him brought him back to reality. Sitting in band tended to induced daydreaming. Louise, Ryan’s next-chair began to laugh a bit.

“Do you even come to class for class’ sake anymore?”

Reid turned a bit red. His Latin friend was right. He had been gushing over Lauren for a good ten minutes and had very obviously been staring at Lauren’s feet as she played her clarinet. Reid sat behind Lauren because he was a bass clarinet player (as masculine as a clarinet player could be, he joked) and for the last weeks he was entranced by Lauren’s simplest behaviors…  More specifically her in-class footplay. The pattern was cemented in Reid’s head. Almost without fault, Lauren would show up to rehearsals a little late and would smile at Reid. Following that, her ballet flats would immediately be kicked off and her beautifully soft soles would cool themselves down on the tiles below. While she played, Lauren would casually tap her foot to the beat or keep them still in silence. The real fun began when she WASN’T playing he thought. She’d either scrunch her toes, wiggle her feet around a bit, toes grab and dangle her flats a bit or surprise him. Dangling was by far his favorite event. Reid’s infamous daydreaming sped up the final half hour of rehearsal and before he knew it class was done.

    “I’m so glad we’re done at 10:15. The other three bands don’t have music as difficult as ours but the last group gets out at 4!”

Lauren always made special small talk with Reid after band that he looked for to. He almost forgot to respond!

“Oh yeah!”, he stuttered. “I’d hate to be in their shoes come time to leave!” he joked.

SMOOOOTTTHHH he thought to himself.

“Oh, Reid” Lauren started with a hint of urgency, “Don’t forget about our earlier practice tomorrow. Dr. H won’t be happy if you’re late again. You barely play as it is!”

Lauren had an austere character. It's Probably the asian in her he joked. “Don’t worry. I’ll be on time… for you!” Lauren seemed pleased with his answer and winked. I STILL HAVE IT!

    “Don’t make promises you can’t keep dude” Louise had warned from nearby. “She’s still pissed the hell off about your skipping last week even if she doesn’t show it.”

Reid was notorious for skipping out on band in favor of sleeping. Louise and Lauren had a scary psychic bond with one another ever since they met in Jr. High and Reid was a little jealous of their “relationship”. Louise however, was Jealous of Reid’s position. Lauren tended to use Louise as a friend to vent to rather than treat him as a potential interest. He was okay with that but sometimes he DID wonder what it’d be like to be equipped with Reid’s chances and ambition. 

“Alright dude, I’ll stay on my word this time.”

    That night, Reid did nothing but fantasize about Lauren. Her well rounded but petite frame and shy bubble sprinkled with confidence made her the perfect woman in his mind. Reid was loving his lust. He awoke the next morning, however, with a splitting headache with an hour left until rehearsal began.. SHIT! I need to get there early to surprise Lauren! Reid showered, grabbed a bagel, and took a few unlabelled Advil tablets from containers in the medicine cabinet before he biked off to the school’s auditorium.

There was very few people there signaling his early arrival. Excellent! His speedy departure didn’t play in his headaches favor though. He nearly fell twice on the slick tile near his seat putting his instrument where it needed to be. I need to take my pills he decided. A trip to the water fountain a few yards from his seat to the hallway allowed him to take his funny tasting aid and await Lauren’s arrival. He normally hated this class!

    No sooner than Reid took his medication, however, he felt a bit more ill but he chalked it up to the medication working. Still, about ten other people were near him in the hallway killing time before class so he didn’t see the need to make a spectacle . He especially didn’t want Lauren to find out! He took himself quickly to his seat just incase he needed to hurl or avoid falling before anyone noticed he was ill. Reid’s heart raced, his temperature heightened and he was unable to fight any longer. He passed out completely.



“HIS HORN, EXTRA CLOTHES, AND BAG ARE HERE. I DON’T KNOW WHERE THE HELL HE COULD BE!”

Reid groaned upon awakening. Why the hell was Louise yelling in a hoarse whisper? Why was there a mini earthquake happening every few seconds ahead of him? Why was- - Reid’s brain froze. His questions had been answered. Directly in his sight was Lauren tapping her foot…his dream. Lauren’s foot, however, was about a basketball court’s length away and a thousand times his size and about a million times more deadly. All Reid could do was stare in disbelief. Despite the initial joy of seeing this amazing sight, a crippling fear of not being found grabbed him. He HAD to get Lauren’s attention somehow.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Reid has to get Lauren Nguyen's attention, and fast! Can he do it?