- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

New chapter wooooo!

hope you enjoy!

Steve’s sleep was interrupted by a burst of sunlight from above. Through the intense rays, he could make out a gloved hand reaching down to him. It closed lightly around him, encasing him in its warm, soft clasp. He found himself being pulled upwards into the light. The experience was surreal, as it felt as though he was floating slowly upwards. However, as he was drawn out of his dark hole, and the bright light slowly faded into sky and trees, it all came back to him. Fear was first to strike. Questions flew around his head; Where am I? Have I been captured? Am I dead? The hands that held him suddenly felt like a prison, and Steve started writhing in an attempt to escape. His fear blinded him as scrabbled around the huge digits, trying desperately to escape. Everything started to feel like it was closing in on him as his panic climaxed into a harsh yelp.

“Shhhhhh…” The soft, sweet sound washed over him like a breath of wind, calming him instantly. He stopped moving, held still by the power of that beautiful voice. For the first time, Steve noticed his surroundings. He was being held by a young women, a heart renderingly beautiful sylph like being. Her face was thin, and angular, covered in pale skin, accented with strange spiral markings that ringed one of her glowing eyes. Thin tresses of bright brown hair floated down her head, pieced by sweeping angular ears. She was lithe and supple, her blue leather outfit closely fitting her strong and thin figure. She brought her hands together, cupping them so that Steve could stand.

Her voice jolted him out of his trance once again.

“What is your name, Human?”

Her voice was soft, yet carried well.

“Err” he mumbled, his brain still not feeling up to speed. He shook himself in an effort to speed it up.

“Flight Lieutenant Steven May, Ma’am, of Her Majesty‘s Royal Air Force” He eventually replied, his training kicking in.

“Mine is Kyrain, of the Tra’lia Sect. I apologise for the bumpy ride, we had to leave that area as fast as we could, it was crawling with Cultists”

She gently eased him to the ground.

“I must get a fire going, it shall be night soon, and it can get very cold this time in the cycle”

She laid her hand on the ground, and Steve, still groggy from sleep, half jumped, half fell to the ground.

Kyrain stood up, towering into the sky, Steve barely reached her ankle.

“Please stay where you are, I need to collect some wood and I do not wish to tread on you when I return”

Steve observed as she strode to the edge of the clearing they were in, and bent down to collect the fallen branches of a wizened old tree. She arranged them within a ring of stones to form a tepee like structure. From a bag she had attached to her belt she withdrew a handful of fine powder, which she scattered over the pile. Holding her hand out over it, she muttered to herself. Steve stepped forward to hear what she was saying, a move that he immediately regretted as he was knocked back by a crack and a blast of heat as Kyrain’s structure burst into flame. Luckily, she didn’t notice as Steve picked himself of the floor, brushing himself off.

Kyrain had made the fire just in time. A sudden wave of cold seemed to sweep over as the large sun sunk below the horizon, and the twin moons that orbited other earth rose to take its place. Complacent in the heat of the fire, Steve took of the ruined parachute harness that had been severed by the Cultist soldier. He also struggled out of his uncomfortable g-suit, content in the more comfortable under suit. Kyrain had sat down behind Steve, and seemed to be watching him. He then replaced the belt and holster that had previously been attached to his g-suit, and turned to the Consulite.

“So where exactly are we?”

“I am not completely sure. We are still south of the river, in Cultist territory. We should aim to cross the river as soon as possible, and get back into friendly territory.”

“Do you have a map?”

Kyrain’s face fell.

“Tylia, a member of my team, had it. We lost her in the first seconds of the battle.”

Conversation died with that statement, returning the clearing once again to silence.

Kyrain sat, staring at the ground, her expression sad. She is only just coming to terms with her loss, Steve realised. She had it a lot tougher than him. To the best of is knowledge, Steve’s wingman and only other human on the scene, Charlie, had escaped. Kyrain, on the other hand, must of lost many friends. From what he knew of the Consulites, Kyrain appeared to be very young. The markings on her face indicated that she was in around her 18-20th cycle, slightly younger than Steve. Consulite upbringing was a lot harsher than its human equivalent, and as a result of this they matured a lot faster, but the first experience of loss is the same for everyone, no matter what their age is, no matter what their race is.

Steve felt at a lose for something to do. Should he comfort her? Or would she rather have some time to think?

He went for the former. Walking over to the gargantuan figure, he placed a hand on her shin (The only thing he could reach).

“I’m sorry for your loss. They died defending what they loved. They will be remembered.”

She turned to him, and smiled slightly.

“Thank you”

She picked him up lightly, placing him on her lap, and continued;

“and also, thank you for the assistance. You risked your life to protect my kin as they retreated, and for that I am grateful.”

“I just did my duty”

She again lifted him up, this time to her face, planting a light kiss upon his head. For one second, that touch had Steve paralysed in ecstasy. Then, as he was lowered, she continued.

“You could of died, or worse, been captured by those vile sirens. I have heard what they do to humans when they capture them, truly a fate worse than death. And you risked that to aid us, to fight a war on a planet that is not your own, in a dimension that is not your own, in aid of a race that you have only just met. That is truly going beyond the call of duty. I, and the rest of my kin, are eternally thankful for you and your fellows help.”

There was nothing but Steve could do smile up at her, still woozy from her touch.

“Now, I must rest. The journey was long and my legs ache terribly.”

She place him back on the ground, took the bulky belt from around her waste, and lay on her side.

“Sleep well, and may the stars watch over you.”

She closed her eyes, and fell into the realms of sleep.

Steve was left at a loss. He figured he would be able to sleep since his short stretch in the pouch had not been the most rewarding rest wise. He settled for lying beside his prone savoir, close enough to gain some of her warmth since the fire was slowly dying. Staring up at the stars, he fell asleep with one thought rocketing around his head; That kiss.

Chapter End Notes:

:D