- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

June 1943 ... 

In order to preach just a little, I  have extrapolated on Inza's clearly recognisable reactions to the Helmet of Nabu as depicted in several issues of All-Star Squadron (1980s).

Growth Girl boarded her plane and departed. Her plan actually did not succeed. If anything, the disappearance of those three teams only strengthened the Justice Society’s resolve to go on fighting against crime. Growth Girl lived out her life in the 20th Century, and was never detected by any of its local time heroes.

 

With his plans to change history unfulfilled, Nardo remained in prison in the 30th Century too.

 

However, for the members of the three teams of boys, things were going to turn out very differently indeed.

 

As the sun came up, they looked out and saw that they were on a very beautiful island. They began to look for food, and then saw four tall, grand elegant women approaching, each wearing a lovely dress and apparently in her early twenties. Looking around they saw other groups of women searching the island for something. Had they detected the presence of the woman who had shrunken the boys? If so, they would be too late to capture her and make her restore the boys’ size.

 

Soon the four women closest to them drew close enough to see the club house, and the three teams of boys gathered outside.

 

“So you’re the uninvited visitors!” said one of the women, “I’m Mala, and this is Irene, Portia and Hermia. I’m afraid we’ll have to take you with us. So you’d better all get back into your little house.”

 

Mala, Irene and Portia each had medium length blonde hair. Hermia had longer medium brown hair and wore an orange coloured dress. Mala’s dress was purple with light blue circles on it. Irene had a grey and black horizontal striped dress and matching bra. Portia wore a white dress.

 

The women herded the boys into the club house and then Mala picked it up and carried it until she came to a pleasant looking old fashioned building and took the club house inside and put it on the table.

 

“I believe these are the ones we’re looking for,” said Mala.

 

“I never knew they’d be so small,” said a dark haired woman in a red dress, who wore her long hair up, and who was apparently the leader of these women, “Fetch my daughter in, Portia. Then both you and she can join the rest of us.

 

The women sat at the table, and waited for the JJSA, Newsboy Legion and Boy Commandos lads to all file out of the club house.

 

In the mean time, the boys soon saw Portia return with a woman who was wearing a long dark blue dress with her wavy dark hair worn down. The boys recognized her instantly.

 

“Wonder Woman!” called Gabby.

 

“Sure. Even wit’out her costume, it must be her!” said Tommy.

 

“She looks even prettier without the dress,” said Brooklyn.

 

“I am Queen Hippolyta,” said the leader, “And you know my daughter. Then you must be from man’s world, despite your tiny size.”

 

“We are, but a woman kidnapped us and shrank us and brought us here,” said Jan.

 

“And you’ve been walking around on our island for how long?” asked Wonder Woman.

 

“Since dawn, Wonder Woman,” said Andre.

 

“You can call me Diana here,” said Wonder Woman.

 

“That explains it,” said Hippolyta, “Our worst fear has come to pass. Not one but several men have set foot on our island. No wonder we have lost all our amazon powers. As of now we will age like the women in man’s world.”

 

“Would that be such a bad thing?” asked Cubby, “How did you get your powers in the first place?”

 

“With the help of the goddess Aphrodite,” said Hippolyta.

 

“Well that’s just the trouble,” said Cubby, “In the beginning of time, the one true God Jahweh or Jehovah, the God to whom all Christians have committed their lives and worship, was the God who created the world and all people. Sin entered the world through Adam and Eve’s disobedience of God, and continued until the time when God wiped out the population with a flood. Noah’s family were led by God to survive the flood in the ark. Yet not long after that, the ruler of the time tried to set himself up against God’s future retribution through flood waters, by building the tower of Babel, as if man could ever create something to hold back the wrath of God. Sin continued on in the world, and many people abandoned their belief in God. From out of the days of ancient Babylon (a name which refers to anything that causes confusion and leads people away from the true God), people began worshipping pagan false gods like Nabu and Aphrodite. They all have their origins in Babylon, and they all lack the approval of God.”

 

“Are you saying our existence here is without God’s approval?” asked Hippolyta.

 

“Woman was created as a companion for man, so neither should be lonely. She was not meant to outgrow man and live alone with other women on an island and worship a pagan false creator,” said Cubby, “Your origin is a deception, which God has used our misfortune to end.”

 

“Mother wait!” said Diana, seeing the stormy look forming in Hippolyta’s eyes, “I have seen how men and women live and work together in man’s world these last several months. I have seen how male leadership works. Perhaps there is something in what this boy says.”

 

Cubby had been raised by Christian parents with his brother. Cubby’s brother would grow up to have two children of his own: Hannah and David. In 1975, Cubby’s uncle, now the children’s grandparents, would tell them the Bible stories of Adam & Eve, Cain & Abel, and Noah’s Ark. For Cubby, it was a different experience. He was now part of a new adventure on Paradise Island, and the outcome might well depend on how well he succeeded with his amateur preacher role as the Amazons listened attentively.

 

“Clearly we have no future with Aphrodite,” said Hippolyta, “Whatever influence pretended to be her (and blinded us to the true nature of our creation) is gone. We will live in peace with you small boys. You are not that much younger than us, and will be welcome to remain on our island. We will build houses for you, houses your own size, and spread them out on the near side of the island to my palace. We will also build more invisible planes, so some of us can visit the United States of America when we wish to.”

 

So it was done.

 

The three teams of boys got together and decided to consolidate their members into one organization hence forth to be known as the Legion of Justice Commandos.

 

One day, soon after the building had been completed and the houses set in their positions, Diana met with her mother Queen Hippolyta.

 

“Something still troubles me deeply,” said Diana, “When I was with the Justice Society, I met a man called Dr Fate. He claimed to get much of his power by wearing something called the helmet of Nabu. I fear that he is under the worst possible influence too, the same one that deceived us and isolated us from the benefits of male companionship for so long. I must go and try to reason with him, to tell him of what I’ve learned from Cubby Joseph.”

 

“Go, my daughter, and may you succeed,” said Hippolyta.

 

In the mean time, the full sized Amazon women were forming friendships and relationships with the boys of the Legion of Justice Commandos.

 

Diana changed from her blue dress into her Wonder Woman costume and flew her invisible plane to land just outside Dr Fate’s tower, and requested to come in. Dr Fate welcomed her in, and she saw that Inza, the woman that Kent Nelson loved, was there too.

 

Wonder Woman explained what she had learned from Cubby Joseph, the boy preacher from the Junior Justice Society.

 

“You must be gone, foolish woman, and speak no more of this. I will not give up the power of Fate,” said Dr Fate.

 

“Kent, do you hear yourself? You’re scaring even me,” said Inza.

 

“There is no Kent right now. There is only Fate.”

 

“That’s what Wonder Woman’s trying to say. She’s even prepared to come here without her own powers to warn us. Your powers come from the occult (which is only ultimately used for Satan’s benefit), from putting on a helmet that makes you a different person. If it comes from that, it’s not worth having. Let those with science based powers or no powers at all remain in the Justice Society, and come back to me and be the man I love,” said Inza.

 

“That would never be my choice,” said Dr Fate.

 

“It’s that helmet,” said Inza, “If we can get it off him, he’ll revert to Kent Nelson. He’s let himself be taken over by Nabu. I always told him that it worried me. After what you’ve just told me, my heart is distraught, Wonder Woman.”

 

 

Inza tried to get at the helmet, with Wonder Woman’s help. Fate struck Inza aside.

 

“You … hit me,” said Inza, “It’s over, Kent, forever. The Kent Nelson I knew would never have done that.”

 

Fate let them leave his tower, and Inza looked at Wonder Woman for reassurance.

 

“You did the right thing,” she said, “It was hard for me to make the same choice and renounce the pagan ways, but I’ve done it, and I know it was right.”

 

“I know too,” said Inza, “The only trouble is that now I have nowhere to go.”

 

“Yes you do,” said Wonder Woman, “How would you like to live on an isolated island?”

 

Wonder Woman returned to Paradise Island, with Inza. Inza had been so uncomfortable with the Dr Fate situation for so many months, that she had done most of the process of grieving the fact that she felt herself losing KENT NELSON. It didn’t take her long, among the amazons and the Justice Commandos to complete the process and move on. Soon she found herself responding to the amorous advances of Tommy (formerly of the Newsboy Legion), and a beautiful and lasting romance ensued.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hannah & David & their Grandfather first appeared in DC Limited Collectors Edition # C-36: The Bible (in Jul 1975)

Wonder Woman first appeared in All-Star Comics #8 (Jan 1942)