- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is a short sequel to Fairytale Romance, which you should probably read first. ;-)

I entered Livia’s bedroom and found her waiting for me in her bed, just as I’d anticipated. When she had stopped by my room earlier and asked me to come over, I knew that she had something special planned for tonight. I didn’t know what it was, but I hope she remembers that I come from a different world than her, and that I’m not really comfortable with many of the activities that fairies would call enjoyable.

When I was fourteen years old I first met Livia, and we quickly fell in love. She took me with her from my home in Lancashire, England, to come and live with her in the kingdom of Faerie as one of her kind. Since that wonderful day, when I first woke up in my new, immortal body, I haven’t wished myself back in my old life even once. I, Lucy Worthington – or just Lucy, I suppose, since fairies don’t have last names – was now officially the luckiest girl in the universe, in love with the most beautiful person to be found amongst humans or fairies.

Almost two years had passed since that day, and I now thought of myself wholly as one of the Fair Folk. In their magical realm, ruled by their glorious queen Aldavien, I was finally amongst people who cared for me, who could see that I was a person, and not a burden to be relieved of at the first opportunity. My aunt and uncle, my awful cousin Edward – I never wanted them in my life again, and, as far as I was concerned, I never again would.

My relationship with Livia, on the other hand, was not nearly as simple as the one with my ex-‘family’. We adored each other, of course, and I had not the tiniest doubt that Livia would do anything she could to keep us together, but, even so, there were times when I doubted that we would remain together forever. This despite the fact that no-one around us condemned our relationship. Even Livia’s parents were supportive of us; they were overjoyed that their daughter had found her life partner at such an early age. Though fairies and pixies are sometimes quite precocious when it comes to love and relationships, they are immortal, and most of them do not bother to pursue a romantic relationship until they are at what humans would consider a ripe old age.

One reason I couldn’t completely convince myself that our love was real was that I had been raised to believe that amorous relationships between people of the same gender was wrong and immoral. I knew that was rubbish, but I still found it difficult to rid myself of what had once been an unquestioned part of my beliefs. The other reason I didn’t want to get intimate with Livia was…well, because I didn’t want to get intimate with her.

We sometimes slept in the same bed together, but it never went further than that. I was painfully shy of letting her see me naked, and even more frightened by the idea of making love to her. What if she was disappointed with ‘the real me’…what if she thought I wasn’t good enough for her? Each time she asked me if I was ready for the next step, I would get very uncomfortable and try to talk my way out of it. And each time she would simply go along with my wishes, and I could see that she was always a little disheartened, though she tried her best to hide it.

Tonight, I expected would be much the same as all those previous times, and again I hoped that my love would not be too disappointed in me if I wasn’t ready yet – and I certainly didn’t feel ready yet. As I’ve said, I entered her room, and saw her lying, waiting for me. She was seventeen, a year older than me, and a year away from reaching the age of adulthood. Then her wings would appear, and she would be allowed to use her magical abilities, and our lives would assuredly change greatly. But for now, she was still the same Livia I’d rescued from the trow on that spring day so long ago. Her gorgeous golden-red hair was now nearly three feet long – or three inches, if you look at it from a human’s point of view, which I still sometimes do. She had grown nearly a foot since I first met her, and in almost all respects, she was now a young woman, no longer a girl.

I climbed into bed next to her, and she took my hands in hers. We were both wearing our nightgowns, having decided to retreat to bed early this evening after a long, enjoyable day spent swimming at the Lake of Florassen. Even in the room’s soft candlelight, she appeared stunningly beautiful to my eyes. She leant forward, kissed me softly on the lips, and asked me how I was feeling.

“Fine, I guess,” I answered vaguely. “Listen, Livia, I’m sorry if…”

“Do you remember our first special night together?” she asked, cutting me off. It took a while for the question’s meaning to hit me, and, when I didn’t answer, she continued.

“I sang you that song about the sacredness of love, don’t you remember? Then, afterwards, I wanted you to see me, and touch me, so that I could know what your love for me felt like.”

“Of course I remember! It was the night after you first told me you were in love with me. I remember thinking it was the best night of my life, and that nothing else would ever feel as…as perfect…”

“So do I, my dearest Lucy. It was a perfect night, but it doesn’t have to be the only one…”

“What…what do you mean?”

“Can you guess what this is?” she asked, and held out the palm of her hand. In it I saw a small, green, round object, looking almost like a little glass marble. I took it from her examined it. It felt as hard as glass too, and I asked her what it was.

“A present from Kalen,” she said, smiling. “I met him at the lake today, and he asked me if I was interested in testing it out. Apparently it’s a new kind of shrinking potion he’d invented, one that lasts forever – or at least until you drink the antidote.”

Kalen was a twenty-one year old pixie, an old friend of Livia. I’d only met him once or twice, and he always seemed uncomfortable when we were talking. Livia said it was because he was apparently infatuated with me, though I hoped she was only joking. He was also training to become an alchemist – a maker of potions and magical medicines – and this wasn’t the first potion he’d given us to try out. However, I was curious what Livia’s plans for it were, and which one of us was going to take it.

“Oh, I don’t really mind,” she shrugged. “I’d take it myself, but I know how curious you always are about trying out new things,” she grinned mischievously, “so I reckoned you’d like to have the honour. I have the antidote too, so there’s nothing to be afraid of.”

“That’s it? That’s all you asked me over for? Just test this shrinking potion, and then grow back to normal?”

“Well…that’s up to you, isn’t it? I can think of quite a few things we’d be able to do with it, but it’s really up to you, Lucy, to decide.”

She was right, of course, and I thought hard about whether or not I should accept. What was there to be scared of? I knew by now that she would never force, or trick me, into doing something I didn’t want to do. In the end, I decided to give it a go, and took the shrinking potion from her hand again. Maybe it’ll be a strange and delightful experience. Who can tell?

I put the little marble in my mouth, and was surprised to find that it immediately turned into a liquid, which I swallowed effortlessly. I didn’t have any time to ponder this fact however, because I immediately felt my body beginning to change. Just like the previous time I’d been shrunk, I felt an almost sickening dizziness, as my entire body began to contract. I’d assumed that my clothes would shrink with me, but, to my horror, they remained the same size. Within seconds, I was a tiny, fragile figure, caught beneath the overburdening layers of my sleeping gown, feeling both trapped and horribly exposed. Maybe this wasn’t a good idea after all, I thought.

I struggled to make my way through the dense fabric around me, trying desperately to reach an opening and tell Livia that I didn’t want to be tiny any more, before she saw me like this. Soon I found one of the gown’s sleeves, and crawled my way along it, until I reached the end. I poked my head out, nothing more, and looked around for Livia. It wasn’t hard to find her. Though I’d tried to prepare myself for seeing her from my new perspective, the sight of her still took my breath away.

She looked over eighty feet tall to me, so incredibly large that I could see immediately why she’d been frightened of me when we first met, when I was still human-sized. To me, however, she wasn’t frightening, only vastly, magnificently beautiful. Every feature of her that made her attractive to me was magnified fifteen times, and it made her look even more striking than she always did. But her eyes! They were like a pair of brilliant blue suns in the dim light of the candles, each of them much larger than my entire head. My heart nearly sprang out of my chest when I saw them, looking at me with unhindered delight.

While I was still cowering beneath the fabric of my sleeve, she gathered up the entire gown in her arms. I was brought right up to her face, which was even more dazzling up close, her pristine, pale skin having not one blemish on it. Laughing softly, she brought me up to her quivering lips and pressed them against me. The warmth from her flesh enveloped my entire face, nearly causing me to faint.

“Wow!” she exclaimed afterwards, brining me right up to her magical eyes. “Lucy, you look almost sweet enough to eat!”

I laughed nervously, even though I knew she was only joking.

“You must feel so…so small right now!” she laughed. “Now you know how I felt, trapped in that monstrous bathtub, only to be caught by an even more monstrous giant girl!”

“I’m not scared!” I insisted, my new voice sounding weak and feeble compared to hers. “I…I think you’re even more attractive like this. You know, being so large and…oh, God, Livia, you are huge!”

“And you , my teensy little lover, are even more endearing than usual. Although, it’s hard to tell with just the top of your little head sticking out of there.” She smiled and let her fingertip run down my hair, and my back. “Anyway, we know the potion works, and Kalen will be most pleased to hear that his secret dream girl had enjoyed it so much. So, do you want the antidote now?”

“Uhh,” I faltered, wondering why I didn’t just say yes immediately. Of course, the answer was obvious. Seeing Livia from this new point of view made me realize just how much of her there is to appreciate. All this time I’ve spent with her, while enjoyable, was only a fraction of all there was that we could do. For the first time in my life, I began to think that perhaps an intimate relationship wasn’t a bad thing after all. Livia certainly looked like she was ready to have some fun, and, with a final resolve, I decided that I didn’t want the night to be over just yet.

Chapter End Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.