- Text Size +

The Justice Society of America were holding their next meeting one day in their inner city headquarters.

 

“The word ‘Society’ in our name seems so outdated, like such a thing of the 1940s,” said Batman, “We need a more modern name that will strike relevance into the hearts of criminals.”

 

Just then a little league baseball team player (who was practicing tossing the ball to his team mate on the footpath outside) accidentally tossed the baseball through the window. It landed on the table with a thud, right in front of Batman.

 

“It’s like an omen!” said Robin, “Let’s rename ourselves the Justice LEAGUE of America.”

 

 

“Alright then. Onto our next item of business,” said Batman, “My last mission for the team was to initiate that name change. I would now like to announce that Sandman, Wildcat, Dr Mid-Nite, Mr Terrific and I are all feeling a bit too old to go on fighting crime with gadgets alone and no super powers. So we’ve talked it over amongst ourselves and decided to retire. I propose that we accept the new applications for membership from Professor Woosh, Kid Atom, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman.”

 

They were accepted into the Justice League, and had not revealed their secret identities of Barry Allen (who had renamed himself to avoid confusion with the returning Golden Age Flash), Ray Palmer, John Jones and Arthur Curry.

 

Then the formal meeting broke up and they began to socialize.

 

“Do you think you’ll ever want to return to the Eight Soldiers of Victory?” asked Sandy.

 

“No. I’d like to stay near Wonder Woman, now that we’re dating,” said the Star Spangled Kid, “The Soldiers have still got Green Arrow, Speedy, Vigilante, Shining Knight, Crimson Avenger, Wing and Stripesy. They can rename themselves the Seven Soldiers of Victory.”

 

Hawkgirl turned up, keen to speak to her husband Hawkman.

 

“I’ve remembered the truth of our origin,” she said, “There’s no such thing as reincarnation. We only believed that we were the reincarnations of Prince Khufu and his lover because we both had dreams to that effect at the same time. We really came from another planet called Thanagar, used our Absorbascon to learn all about earth as we drew near the planet, got distracted by the Absorbascon and lost control of the ship.  We staggered out, jolted by the crash, and soon after developed amnesia. It all came back to me after I tried the premium orange juice for  a change.”

 

“This is amazing news,” said Hawkman, “There’s even some crazy rumour going around that you’re the reincarnation of an adulterous ancient queen who had an immoral extra-marital affair with some ancient character who was later reincarnated as a new Green Lantern. You can’t imagine how upset I was to learn of that. I’m glad we know the truth.”

 

Hawkman tried the premium orange juice too, and his life as Katar Hol came back into his memory.

 

Bruce Wayne finally married Vicky Vale and they had a daughter named Helena. Alfred Pennyworth had resumed his former British intelligence agent role in England, until he was posted to Gotham City as the replacement police commissioner after James Gordon retired.

 

Catwoman and Psycho Pirate served short prison sentences, as emotionally manipulating senators and super heroes was very hard to prove. Then they connected over their common pasts and married. They had a daughter (whom they hoped would grow up with Catwoman’s athletic agility and Psycho Pirate’s mental powers) and called her Lilith.

 

Superman was visited by three heroic beings from the 40th Century named Ben Boxer, Kamandi and OMAC (One Man’s Artistic Creation). They invited Superman to come to the future and join their Legion of Human Heroes, to take on the corrupt talking animal government that had overrun the world after the great disaster of the 38th Century. Superman accepted and was seldom seen again.

 

Rip Hunter met a teenaged boy named Gym, who asked if he could join him as a time traveling companion. Rip took him on his first journey, to the year 2449, to see if Toughy Blue Boy had changed his mind about remaining with the giantess Carla as her pet.

 

Once again, Rip materialized under the cupboard, and manned the time machine, while Gym went out to investigate. Gym saw the giantess Carla sitting in her room alone.

 

“I was sent by the man who once brought your latest pet to your time,” said Gym, “What happened to him, by the way?”

 

“The same thing that’s going to happen to you,” said Carla, as she stood up and stepped towards him, “I ate him.”