- Text Size +

“We’d be glad to have you,” said Wonder Woman, “Is that what you’d each like?”

 

Sandy and Robin agreed with Star Spangled Kid. Jimmy Olsen wanted to resume his career at the Daily Planet, having never been much of a super hero in his own opinion in the first place. He offered to be the JSA’s publicity agent, and the team accepted. Of course he would run into them all the time as he continued to date Batwoman.

 

 

By 1963, a new Flash had come upon the scene. His secret identity was Barry Allen. Racing around on one of his high speed trips, he came upon the late Brainiac’s abandoned flying saucer, and examined it. It had been somehow sealed by the controls on Brainiac’s belt, when he had left it in 1958 to shrink Metropolis. When he’d been destroyed, the ship had remained sealed. Nobody else who’d previously found the space ship had ever been able to get inside it.

 

 

However, Barry Allen had acquired such powerful super speed, that he was able to vibrate himself inside the ship, as his own molecules passed harmlessly through the hull of the flying saucer. As a police scientist like Jay Garrick, Barry was sure that he could operate the ship, and decided to take it on a flight. First he reprogrammed the door to open manually from the inside or outside, and then he was ready to use it. He explored most of the planets in the milky way and found them uninhabited, until he came to Uranus, and met the local Flash of that world his predecessor Jay Garrick.

 

“How would you like to have a race around Uranus with Superman?” asked Jay.

 

“I’d enjoy that,” said Barry, “But I’m not too comfortable running at high speed with my flashpoint flapping in the wind I’ll generate.”

 

“That soon got to me too,” said Jay, “So I’ve altered my costume. Most of my legs are still on show, but I wear shorts, and to compensate for the lack of Uranusian exhibitionism on my part, I’ve replaced my shirt with a red trench coat, and put a temporary tattoo of a lightning bolt emblem on the skin of my chest … after shaving and waxing, of course. If you do the same, then we can flash our chest emblems at spectators of the race, while we’re pacing Superman on the big day.”

 

“Sounds great,” said Barry Allen, “We’ll be known as Flashers of Two Worlds.”

 

Soon the great skinny sprint was on, with three super heroes (each at least partially clad in red, yellow and blue) racing over land and sea, with local Uranusians flocking out to catch the arrival of the super athletes in their own towns. Barry Allen’s super speed was just a little bit faster than Jay Garrick’s and significantly faster than Superman’s. He won the race and invited the Justice Society men to return to earth in Brainiac’s flying saucer and rejoin the original team, explaining that times were changing, and that masked super heroes would be welcome in the 1960s. They accepted and were surprised to see that Batwoman, Batgirl, Robin, Sandy and Star Spangled Kid had joined the team.