- Text Size +

Back in 1948, the Atom had arrived and wondered what the Justice Society of America were up to. Had it been 1942, he could have asked Roy Thomas. The lad took endless notes that year, but seemed unable to make the adjustment when 1943 started, having missed out on the Junior Justice Society code kit that he had hoped to receive as a Christmas present at the end of 1942.

 

Nevertheless, the Atom soon learned that the Justice Society had responded to two emergencies. The first was a warning message from an alien being known as the Botcher, who explained that he’d once had the chance to prevent the rise to power of a girl who became an enormous gigantic woman whose traveling space ship had the ability to generate large meals to sate her constant hunger. Her one condition over which she had no control was known as the Power Toxic. After consuming a large meal, she would need to use a giant flatus tube to enable her to pass wind without damaging her space ship. She had one end of the flatus tube piped through an airlock which led out of the ship. She would place the other end at the rear portion of her anatomy at necessary moments and then proceed to release the Power Toxic, which would then drift into the atmosphere of whatever planet she was closest to, creating the Nose-Zone layer.

 

Whole civilizations had been subjected to the smell for weeks, until it had finally been drawn back into space. Now the giant woman known as Flatulus was approaching earth. Hourman, Sandman, Hawkman, and Starman went to take off into space in a rocket ship that they had captured from one of their old foes and stored not far from Justice Society of America Headquarters. They would prepare the rocket and head into outer space and appeal to Flatulus to stay away from earth. The Atom decided to go and join the Flatulus mission, as it was much closer than Africa.

 

Meanwhile Green Lantern, Flash, Doctor Mid-Nite, Wildcat and Black Canary had gone to Africa to head off a second emergency. They had been contacted by a talking Gorilla, who claimed to be the king of a city of Gorillas. The city was scientifically shielded from view to outsiders, unless they chose to reveal themselves. The Gorilla King explained that a young gorilla named Solovar had been trying to perfect the most tasty nutritious banana, by adding a number of different spices to the banana, while he worked on it in his lab. Then he had accidentally bumped a vial containing an aquatic amoeba, which had then fallen onto the experimental banana. The banana had merged with the amoeba and grown to the height of a 40 foot banana. Though unable to communicate, it had acquired legs to walk, and even the strength to break out of Gorilla City, and was rampaging uncontrollably through the African wilderness. They had to find a way of stopping it before it reached a town. Solovar, in an attempt to expiate some of the guilt he felt, came up with an African name for it: B’nana Beast.