- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY,
LANGLEY, VIRGINIA
(MAY 5, 1970)
* * * * *

Bryce Paxton, confused by the reference to "Varangiants," rewound the microfilm to the diary entries he had passed by, earlier. He had gotten so bored reading about the 1923 expedition to Kapu Hiva, that he had fast-forwarded the reel to preserve his sanity! Only to ironically prove to himself that the old adage, about haste making waste, was indeed true.

* * * * *

"1 June 1923:

We have debarked at the Mare Island Naval Base, in San Francisco, California. There, I was introduced to Dr. McGee's brother, Special Agent Canute McGee of the FBI."

"The latter explained to me how he had been part of an American government task force, for the past year, investigating the systematic theft of tommy-guns from the Federal arsenal at Rock Island, Illinois. How the trail had led to New Orleans, Louisiana, where they were apparently bartered for Jamaican rum. And, how 'Joseph Svensen' had evidently used his salvage business as a front for smuggling the weapons out of the country, to a nocturnal rendezvous with Captain Von Hauptmann in the waters of the Dutch Antilles."

"Unfortunately, they did not know about 'Svensen' being an ex-German spy until they were notified of same by British Naval Intelligence! By which time, the DEWITT CLINTON had already been out-bound, from Philadelphia, for a week. So, the best thing that could be done, after that, was to radio-telegraph the American naval base at Midway, and have a destroyer begin searching for us, in order to intercept us. As Professor Phillips had misled the Philadelphia harbormaster, however, the search was initially conducted along the wrong route!"

"It was only by crossing and re-crossing the supposed route that the destroyer happened upon the Mathis motor launch bearing myself and Dr. McGee. The two of us unconscious from sunstroke, hunger, and thirst; and the launch entirely bereft of fuel."

* * * * *

"16 Sept. 1930:

My new membership in the Thule Society is already paying off. Kraus has used his status, with the ICRC, to show me other interesting 'medical records.' This one filed by the chief medical officer of a Kaiserliche Marine flagship in the western North Pacific, thirty years ago!"

"It would seem there was a dispute over the sovereignty of a large atoll called Canterbury Island. Imperial Germany claimed it to be part of the Marshall Islands (which had recently been sold to them by Spain). While the United States and Great Britain claimed joint custody of it due to eight decades' usage of it as a whaling station. When the Kaiser's spies learned that the island was going to be colonized, by expatriate American Mormons, a naval blockade was immediately instituted around the island."

"The CMO says the blockade was ultimately decimated by a blonde-haired, blue-eyed giantess (impervious to cannon fire)!"

"The Kaiser's spies later learned that she was the half-Danish daughter of the Mormon leader. And, that her mother claimed to be descended from Skogul. Daughter of Svyatogor, last of the Varangiants, by Kara Halfdansdottir(a Valkyrie incarnate). This claim was, of course, dismissed as complete fabrication, at that time."

"But, given what I have learned as a member of the Thule Society, I am beginning to wonder."

* * * * *

"30 Apr. 1933:

Ist fantastiche!"

"With Kraus' help, I have conveyed to Herr Himmler my theory about the power of self-gigantism in ancient Germanic peoples; the probable source of that power; and the possible reason for its shift from patrilineal to matrilineal heredity. He has agreed to grant me all the funding I need to prove it!"

* * * * *

"1 Jan. 1943:

I received a radiogram from Kraus, in Argentina, today. He not only wished me Happy New Year. He has also notified me that the human experimentation phase of Ordung: Utgard...has been approved. Vunderbar!"

* * * * *

That last entry made Paxton more uneasy than ever before. Because, not five minutes earlier, Dr. Long had finished his polygraphic examination of "Pierre LeGrand." The former had asked him whether or not it was true that he knew how Solution 62 had first been created. And, the latter had replied:

"False. But, I do know when it was created, and why. In the aftermath of--and, initially, as a direct response to--Operation: Utgard."

THE END
Chapter End Notes:
To be continued in...MORE THAN ONE CAN CHEW.