- Text Size +

Alex woke up to the empty mattresses lying next to him.  His stomach rumbles with hunger.  Workers worked on raising the catwalks and knocking down the fifteen foot walls of the private room and measuring wall.

“Can you lay down flat on the ground, Mr. Anderson?  Dr. Gunderson would like to have your new measurements,” a tech by the name of O’Neill said.  I hope he does as I ask.  God, he’s so enormous.  I need to find a new job.

Alex nearly forgot that with his new growth came stronger abilities.  He is now much bigger than Steve which meant his telepathy surpassed the smaller giant.   Alex quickly puts up his blocks, but not before he hears the other tech helping O’Neill.  I hope he doesn’t try to eat us.  His hunger sounds like a wild beast.  God please O’Neill, let’s hurry and get this done.  Alex didn’t answer them; he just laid flat on his back and let the two men do their job.

O’Neill let out a whistle.  “Nineteen feet and five inches!  I doubt the shipping scale goes high enough to get his weight,” the tech said, talking as if Alex couldn’t hear him.  “He’s much taller than the woman!  It’s almost like feet are becoming their inches.”

“Jesus, they’re huge,” the other tech said to O’Neill.

“You can get up now, Mr. Anderson.  McAllister brought your shakes.  Dr. Gunderson is examining your wife,” O’Neill said in a nervous tone.  Alex sensed that almost all the techs working in the Alpha One hangar feared him much more than before.

Alex sat up and found three mental drums standing near him.  He pulled the tops off and drank down one after the other.  He felt a little better, but still hungry.  Steve came strolling into the hangar with two more barrel of that vile tasting shake, but Alex knew that he had to get used to it.  Vin said that you and Emma had a growth spurt but he didn’t tell us it was feet instead of inches.  Saw Emma over at the new building.  She made me feel like a midget and here I was, happy to finally be over the twelve foot mark and the second biggest here and you two had to go and grow on us.  Steve smiled.  Ally and Vin are checking her where there are no cameras.  Those two douchebag techs are right about the shipping scale.  Emma broke it when they tried to weigh her.  Vin said the baby is alright.  It grew right along with Emma.  Instead of nine months, Emma has over a year.  Vin said the test show eighteen months, maybe more, it’s getting harder to tell to bigger we get.  I hope this is your last spurt?

“It is, Steve.  My body has told me and Emma feels it too.  Be careful when your day comes, my telepathy is really strong now.  I’m hearing everyone thoughts.  The techs are afraid of me now more than ever.  They’re afraid of Emma too.   That one working with O’Neill thought I was going to have him for a snack.  I’m not a cannibal.  Alex let his thoughts flow to the much smaller Steve.

Ignorant fools!  Let’s make them run for the hills!  Are you strong enough to stand up?  I want to see what nineteen feet looks like.  I’m sure you do too, because if you guys thought you looked amazing before, you haven’t seen anything yet.  Steve’s thoughts easily flowed to Alex.

Alex stood up and stretched for a moment.  He felt even more energized than he did before.  He stood straight for the first time since the massive amount of growth.  He wasn’t quite sure if he had any balance, but surprisingly he did.  He looked further down at Steve than he did before.  Steve only came up to slightly above his waist.  Steve looked up at him with a smile.  You are still the biggest thing here.  Adam at the ‘clinic’ in North Carolina just went through his final change.  He’s only eighteen ten.  Vin has yet to get that data because the president just made a surprise visit there.  The tech tried to use cattle prods, but Adam doesn’t feel them anymore.  He is playing nice till the president leaves, if things don’t change after the visit, the techs there are in for a big surprise. The military has left but they had to leave behind one soldier.  Former Private James Quinn is the resident of Alpha Three.  He just turned thirty and the virus hit him like a rock.  He’s getting nursed right now.  He has first day sickness.  Steve’s thoughts flowed to Alex.  “You are huge, my friend,” Steve said with a playful surprised look.  The techs were unaware of the two giants’ private conversation.

 Alex caught sight of himself in the polished steel wall of the hangar.  Vin had workers polish and buff the steel down to a mirrored shine.  It wasn’t the same as a glass mirror, but it was close.  Alex’s body filled out.  His face looked older despite the long beard.  Not like his thirty-seven year old face, but more like his twenty-five year old one.  Strong jaw, broad shoulders and chest.  His six pack much more defined and not an ounce of body fat.  His body is now the perfect V shape that most men try to accomplish.  The light in the hangar bounced of his newly long hair.  Streaks of gold mingled in with brown.  His light blue eyes sparkled and his skin has a healthy glow that showed all the muscles in his long strong arms.  “You look like a living god, my friend,” Steve said quietly.

“I didn’t think it was possible,” Alex mumbled.

“You and Emma are both amazing.  No more being awkward teenagers.  You now truly look like adults now.  Even Adam looks different now,” Steve whispered.  “They all look different now.  Maybe we should all move to Mt. Olympus,” Steve joked and Alex let out a small laugh.  He caught a glimpse of his smile.  His teeth are perfectly white and straight, a smile that would put any movie star to shame.  Now they are really going to hate us Alex thought. 

Steve smirked up at his new friend.  Alex and Emma befriended Steve and Ally after the change, but the four giants had an unwavering trust for one another.  Alex has come to trust Steve more than his lifelong friend, Vin Gunderson.  The giants understood one another in ways the humans could never understand.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t give a shit.  The little ones don’t like that they aren’t the most intelligent mammals on the planet anymore.  Now they’re not the most glamorous?  Who gives a shit!  Serves them right for being so prideful.  Steve thought to Alex.

We need to show them now more than ever that we only want to be their friends.  The president wants Emma and me as representatives.  Vin is supposed to ask us if that is what we want.  I’m not sure yet.  First I want to see if Vin will allow my secretary clearance to come.   Maybe then we will be allowed to see our families again.

I want to see my wife and my boy again.  It’s been a long time and I know Melinda misses me.  Steve thought looking up at Alex with sadness in his eyes.  I know it’s only a matter of days now till the virus takes Melinda.  Tommy is only three and there is no one else that can take care of him.  Even if they let us go free, I can’t even fit in my home anymore. I don’t want to raise my son in a hangar.  Alex caught images of a curly red headed tot reminding him of Steve’s first stages of the change.  He looked down at his short friend with sadness.

I’ll see what I can do.  Alex thought.

Alex walked to the new building, a structure with fifty foot ceilings and with doors and windows made for giants.  No cameras have been installed but the custom made furnishings have been put into place.  Tables, chairs, and couches all made for fifteen to twenty feet tall people.  Alex fell into one of the chairs; it was nice to feel normal again.

“There you are, my friend,” the small voice of a man said.  It was Vin standing in a twenty foot doorway.  “They haven’t installed the cameras in here yet.  After the military left, there will be no cameras here unless consent is signed by a patient, the president’s orders.  He was highly impressed by the new clinic.  This is where the newly evolved can come to get checked up on and consoled about their new lives.”

“It feels… normal,” Alex said quietly.

“I was going to surprise you and Emma with it, but circumstances wouldn’t allow it.  Steve has already taken the position of advocate.  We are setting up a foundation to deal with the homeless giants.  We are going to help them build new homes and new lives,” Vin said. 

Alex looked thoughtful for a moment.  “Vin, this is a wonderful idea.  Consider the Anderson Corporation your first contributors,” Alex said happily.  He wanted to pick up his friend and give him a hug but he restrained.

“I’ll be sure to take care of that for you, Mr. Anderson,” a familiar female voice said.  Then forty-five year old Caroline Honeywell appeared in the doorway.  The same five foot five woman she had always been.  Her black hair tied back neatly, glasses perched on her nose, dressed in a gray skirt and purple blouse that matched her violet eyes.  She carried her iPad with her and a genuine smile for her favorite boss.  Alex felt out of place in his tight ripped up pants and no shirt, hair and facial growth out of control.  Whenever he was with Honeywell, it was always Armani and ties.  The kindly secretary ignored his state and treated him as she always has.

“Caroline,” Alex said excitedly.

“It’s nice to see you again, Mr. Anderson.  I was starting to miss you around the office.  Dr. Gunderson called and briefed me on yours and Emma’s situation.  I suspected something, but not quite this.  Now when I refer to you as the big man, I can actually mean it,” Caroline said with a warm smile.  Alex wanted to pick her up and hug her too.  He loved the pretty woman’s sense of humor.

“You and Emma have been out a few days.  After the military left and the president announced the existence of the clinics, I took the liberty of granting Ms. Honeywell clearance.  I wanted to see how well it goes with Ms. Honeywell before I grant more clearance.  Tomorrow Melinda and Tommy James will be our next guests.  I want to ease your old human friends into this,” Vin explained.

“I understand,” Alex said in his normal tone of voice.  He observed that Honeywell covered her ears.  Alex felt bad.  He knew he was the largest person in the world.  Alex forgot that his voice grew with him.  He gave Honeywell a bashful glance.  “I’m sorry about my voice,” he said softly.

“It’s quite alright, Mr. Anderson.  Big things come with being big,” Honeywell said with a shrug.  Alex thought of the years of service this woman put in working for him and not once has she called him by his first name.  Caroline had been more than a secretary to him, she was kind of like his extended family.  She was like a mother at times and a sister at others.  She never complained, even when she worked on holidays.  She was highly efficient and very friendly, but she always called him Mr. Anderson or sir.  She called Emma by her name, but never Alex.  This needed to change.

Alex got on his knees.  Alex then crotched down so he could look Caroline in the eyes.  His face fills my view and he is only a few feet from me.  He is so much more handsome than before, except the beard has to go.  He always looked better with slight stubble and a nice haircut.  I wonder if Jesus would scream like a girl if he saw Mr. Anderson now.  Knowing that bastard, he’d charge a grand to cut Mr. Anderson’s hair now instead of the usual two hundred.  I hope they find him some pants that fit.  I can’t be having these thoughts about my happily married boss.  Emma would step on me if she knew.  It’s a shame she couldn’t have kids.  Caroline’s thoughts hit him like a train.  He smiled to himself about her pent up lust and concern for his appearance and grateful Emma had a close friend to confide in.  He remembered the pain his wife felt the day her gynecologist gave her the news.  Emma cried for a week until Caroline took her out on a spa day.  Afterwards, Emma came back a new woman.

“Caroline,” Alex said in an even softer tone.  Alex wanted to take her hand but couldn’t due to his new size, instead he held out his hands in front of Caroline.  Alex was about to do something he has never done before.  “Sit on my hands.”

“Mr. Anderson,” Caroline questioned.

“It’s rather awkward for me to talk to you like this.  Do you trust me?” Alex asked.

Caroline nodded.  The woman was no bigger than a little girl’s Barbie doll to Alex.  She delicately sat down in the palms of his hands.  She held onto his thumbs.  Alex carefully lifted her.  He then stood up himself.  Caroline gasped for a moment as she looked down.  The world truly is a small place for these people.

Alex smiled at the demure woman.  “Do you truly trust me, Caroline?”  Alex asked.

“Do I have much of a choice now,” Caroline quipped and Alex smiled.  “With my life,” Caroline answered in full honesty and a serious tone.

“Good.  I don’t want you calling me Mr. Anderson anymore.  I consider you as more than my secretary.  You are my friend and my friends call me Alex,” Alex said.

Caroline understood his game.  She truly did trust him with her life, whether he is six foot five or twenty feet tall.  She looked at him as more than a boss at times.  Whether it is the son she never had or the little brother.  Caroline cared for this man.  “Sure thing, Alex,” she said with a smile.

“I hate to cut this reunion short, but Emma is eager to see you, Alex,” Vin tells his friend.

Alex gently lowers Caroline to the floor and she jumps off his hand.  Alex didn’t need directions to the room Emma was in, he could sense her. He left the two humans behind as he followed Emma brainwaves.  She was in an examination room with Ally.

Ally looked tiny next to the bed Emma was laying on.  Ally was small as a human and as a giant she’s not much different.  Although she recently began another wave of growth, she will always be small.  Emma stood about ten feet nine inches.  She still stood well below Alex’s hips.  Her eyes got big when she took in the gigantic man. 

“I have my husband back,” Emma said.  Even the right size I remember too.  She smiled up at him.  She had on one of his old tunic that still looked way too tight on her.

Alex has always been a big man, hasn’t he?  “Glad to see you decided to join the living,” Ally joked.

You will never get to know just how big I am.  Ally’s eyes widened as she heard Alex’s voice quip in her head.  Our telepathy is much more powerful than even Steve’s.  We can hear everything.  

“Good to know,” Ally said a loud to Alex.

Alex kissed Emma.  He felt two her beats coming from Emma.  Hers and their unborn child’s.  He then kissed her stomach.  The two giants already felt a strange connection with the baby.