- Text Size +

Keith stood above the small grave of his wife Kathleen.  His father in law Charles Kramer sat on his shoulder while Keith held both Kyle and Amber in his hands.  Tears fell from the giant’s eyes.  The cemetery only allowed Keith access.  All of Keith’s Gaea House friends stood outside the wrought iron gates that they could easily step over if they wanted to but the giants all agreed to respect the humans’ rules.   Keith and Kathleen’s old friends have abandoned them after Keith’s evolution.  The kids were dressed in their Sunday finest.  Kathleen’s family all stood under Keith dressed in black.  Charles wore a gray suit which left Keith feeling severely underdressed.  All Keith’s wardrobe choices consisted of were t-shirts, track suits and scrub type of outfits.  Keith choose a pair of black scrubs and instead of dress shoes, Keith had to settle for his flip flops.  You didn’t see the New York fashion houses jumping at the chance to design for people that made the supermodels seem extremely short.  Kathleen’s family understood Keith’s fashion dilemma.  They had come to support the giant that they all fell in love with considering none of them liked the overweight used car salesman he used to be.

Kathleen’s sister and brother both hugged Keith on the calf during the small and intimate service.  The humans couldn’t see the visual the giants held outside the cemetery gates but Keith and Charles could from their vantage points.  Sven Lindquist looked somberly towards Keith.  The sympathy of the giants filled Keith’s thoughts as well as their prayers.

“You have made some good friends son,” Charles whispered into Keith’s ear and the giant gently nodded.  To Charles, the giants had a right to be with their grieving friend and not tossed aside because of their differences but this cemetery is where generations of Kramer’s had been put to rest.  It angered Charles when the cemetery owners called his house to tell him that no giants were allowed except for the husband.  Charles knew that they weren’t just Keith’s friends but Kathleen’s as well.

Charles remembered the day Kathleen came for a visit.  Kathleen seemed like a different daughter after spending a day at Gaea House.  She radiated with newfound happiness.  Kathleen kissed her father’s cheek and thanked him profusely for forcing her to visit Keith at Gaea House.  She told him all about the giants and their generous nature.  Charles took it all in as Kathleen told him about Keith and how much more different he’d become.  Charles was happy for his daughter.

Now Charles sat on Keith’s shoulder looking down on his daughter’s grave.  Charles loved his new grandson despite the circumstances.  Ethan was a gentle little soul despite the fact that he could use his granddad and siblings as toys.  Ethan looked so much like Kathleen with his black hair and blue eyes.  Charles saw intelligence in the boy’s eyes.  It was like the little giant knew right from wrong already.  Ethan never made an effort to grab at the small humans.  Even though the boy couldn’t talk, he always appeared like he was trying to get his big sister to smile.  It was like the baby could sense Charles’ granddaughter’s feeling towards the baby giant.

Charles did his best with trying to talk to Amber.  Charles knew that the five year old blamed the innocent baby for her mother’s death.  Charles took notice of Ethan as he watched the baby’s eyes follow his sister’s movement.  Charles read the Gaea House pamphlets his daughter had carelessly thrown out.  Charles read one about giants and family.  It describes how giants connect to those closest to them, most newly evolved felt a genetic deepness with their family members.  Charles couldn’t help but notice this with Ethan.  The boy knew his family members by more than just their names.

The priest read from his bible and appeared kind to the family but Keith knew what the man’s feelings were towards him.  The word abomination floated throughout the man’s thoughts.  Keith also noticed the groundskeeper had tin foil under his hat.  The humans that weren’t family didn’t want him here.  He also picked from Charles mind the heated phone conversation he had the other day with the cemetery owners and groundskeeper.  Seems Keith had to make appointments to visit his wife’s grave.  He wasn’t allowed to come here at any time to see her like all the other grieving families.  They had Keith’s father in law livid.  Keith made a little flower garden on the Gaea campus to honor Kathleen.  Keith filled it with all her favorite flowers.  Keith felt closer to Kathleen there anyway.

After the service, Keith shifted his kids to one hand and offered Charles his free one to step on.  Charles trusted the giant completely as Keith gently lowered his hand near his mother in law Ivy.  Charles jumped off and Ivy patted the giant’s hand.

“If you ever need anything whatsoever Keith, don’t be afraid to ask.  You’re still a part of the family,” Ivy tells her gigantic son in law.  Ivy Kramer was never a big fan of Keith Black that was the old Keith Black.  Ivy has gotten closer to Keith after the death of Kathleen.  Keith felt genuine love from his in laws and felt bad about his old human self.

Keith then lowered the kids to the ground.  Amber and Kyle both gave the Kramer clan a round of hugs.  Keith was still uncertain about giving the kids the shot.  Ethan had been so gentle about his smaller and older siblings that Keith wanted to put it off as long as possible.  Another part of Keith was ready for his older children to start evolving.  Kyle and Amber could easily be kidnapped or worse.  If they were giants, no one could hurt them as easily.  Being the human children of a giant had its downsides too.  They had to take the prejudice of other humans.

The groundskeeper tapped Charles on the shoulder.  He was a horrid little man with rotten teeth.  “Time for the giant to go back with his own kind.  I got families waiting to visit graves and his friends are making it difficult for them to go through the gates,” the evil little man said.

“The man just lost his wife!  Have a Goddamn heart you asshole!  They’re not even in the way of the gates!” Ivy screamed at the dirty little man.

“Mom, he isn’t worth it.  He’s ignorant to my kind anyway.  He isn’t even aware that I can still hear his mousy little thoughts.  Tin foil can’t keep us out,” Keith said in a gentle tone.  The giant wanted to yell much like his mother in law had but Keith wasn’t that man anymore.  Giants abided until the humans got too far out of hand.  As a Gaea soldier Keith was more than obligated to follow the rules.  Instead Keith made a small dip into the earth with his mind, right in the trail of the groundskeeper.  Ivy smiled when she saw the nasty man fall on his ass.

“Serves him right,” Ivy mumbled.  All the humans were unaware the giant caused this man’s misfortune.  Keith wouldn’t have done it otherwise but the little man upset him.  Keith said his goodbyes to his in laws and picked the kids back up into his hands.  He walked out of the gates where the other giants waited.  All the giants then started walking back to Gaea House.