- Text Size +

Alex slept the day away.  Emma worried about her husband, but there was no way she was leaving the house.  She called Alex’s friend, Vin.

“I’ll be on my way, Emma,” Vin said.

“Thanks Vin,” Emma said.

She went up to the guest room to find that Alex was awake.  Alex gave her a sickly smile.

“Looks like I won’t be leaving the house any time soon,” Alex said to Emma.  “We really should be looking into getting some bigger doors in this place.  Maybe we should move.”
“Oh Alex,” Emma said as tears filled her eyes.  She went to her husband and sat on the edge of the bed.  Emma had on Alex’s sweats and an oversized T-shirt.  None of her clothes or shoes fit her anymore.  She hugs her ill husband.  Alex held her like the child she has become.

“Hard to believe, but in twenty four hours I’m going to start looking like you do now,” Alex tells her.  “I don’t know what we’re going to do now.”

“We need to find another place to go to.  At least till this evolving thing is made public,” Emma sobbed.

“Tell me more about how it feels, Emma,” Alex said, trying to ease his child looking wife.  Emma is so propionate to her size.  She weighs more than the average six foot person due to her stored up baby fat.  Recently she has started reading everything that she could get her hands on.  Her mind had a need to learn all over again.  Instead of basic skills like the first time around, Emma engrossed herself in complicated mathematics and others things she never had the knack of before.

“It’s amazing.  I feel smarter than I did before.  I have all the energy of a child.  If I wasn’t pent up inside all the time, I feel I could run a hundred miles without getting winded.  I still feel a need for a nap though,” she tells him.

“Vin said you would have a need to learn new things.   I can’t wait to experience it all with you, sweetheart,” Alex said, giving her a big smile.

“In a way I was hoping we never changed,” Emma said, surprising her husband.

“Why is that, Em?”

“I’ve always looked up to you.  If you stayed the same, you would be looking up to me,” Emma said shyly.

“Oh Emma.”

 “At least this way nothing will really change.  I would miss being held in your arms,” she said and kissed Alex’s cheek.

Vin came as he said he would.  He checked Alex.  Then he made a suggestion that didn’t surprise the couple too much.

“There’s a hanger on the outskirts of town that’s getting used as a secret clinic until this is made public.  I’d like to transport both you and Emma there.  That way we can study a little closer what’s going on.  You can be the first full study subject we have Alex, and Emma can be our model subject.  We can use her to gage how far this evolution will go,” Vin explained.  “We can also make sure that you two will get the proper nutrition and care.”

“We should probably move out of here before Emma can’t use the doors anymore.  What do you say, Em?”  Alex asks his wife.

“I have grown quite a bit in a week,” Emma pondered.

“You age a year a week, Emma.  By this time next week you will be the same height if not taller than Alex.  You have about a good two weeks here before this starts getting difficult for you and we'll have to call the fire department to get you out of here.  This will be your best option without dealing with the public for the time being,” Vin explained.

“We’ll just say that we went on a vacation,” Alex said, already thinking up an excuse.

“I’ll also make sure you have enough stuff to study there.  I know now that even though you have all your old memories and intelligents, there is much more brain capacity that you have developed.  We want to study that too.  Plus, there will be enough space for you to roam and exercise.  You can’t do that here,” Vin explained, looking straight into the little girl eyes.

“You have a point,” Emma responded.  “I want to know when can we go?”

“We’ll transport you two tonight after the neighbors are asleep.  We have to keep this top secret.  I’ll bring an ambulance to pick up Alex.  You can ride in the back with him.  Don’t bother packing.  We’ll have everything you’ll need at the hanger,” Vin said.

“What about clothes and toothbrushes?” Emma asked.

“Our clothes won’t fit us in another week, Em.  Next week about this time, I’ll be pushing seven feet,” Alex managed to say.

“We are already working on that with the help of Alex’s new venture.  You will want for nothing.  We want to keep this as private as we can for as long as we can. Trust me on this, Emma,” Vin said as he held out his hand.  Emma took it and gave him a gentle shake.

Around three a.m., the ambulance pulled up onto the Anderson’s property.  Emma helped Vin move Alex from the house.  Vin notices that Emma seemed a tad taller than she did this afternoon.  After Alex was moved out to the transport vehicle, Vin took another round of measurements just as he had done that afternoon.  Emma stood at six foot one whereas this afternoon she was only five foot eleven.  She had also gained about ten pounds to go with it.  Vin wrote down Emma’s new stats on his clipboard.  Now the six foot man was shorter than the oversized child-woman with him.  The doctor was totally amazed.

The following day, Vin’s staff couldn’t keep up with Alex’s demand for food.  Vin and his people recorded everything.  Even the five pizzas they had to order to feed the giant female toddler and the test subject.  They test Emma’s motor skills and gave her an I.Q. test.  She scored 150 versus her high school SAT which was only 110.  Her mind was rapidly evolving.

Alex fell into a food coma after about two hours of eating.  Vin set up his camera equipment to watch for any physical changes on the sleeping man.  Emma didn’t want to wake up Alex, but couldn’t wait to see his transformation.

Vin looked though the old photo album Emma brought with her.  He posted the old photos on a board for reference.  Old school and baby pictures.  Emma appeared to be looking more like her kindergarten picture.  Vin took note of it.   He also took note of Emma’s growth.  Measurement started to become a daily ritual.  Emma grew one to a half inch almost daily.  Internal everything seemed to be growing as expected as well.  Weight gain was another thing too.  Every morning he would start weighing Emma on the shipping scale.

Eight hours later, Vin had his first male subject in the form of Alex.  His six foot five framed transformed into that of a toddler.  Emma hugged him.  They were almost the same height.  Emma was now a couple of inches taller.

“I feel like the Michelin Man,” Alex said when he took in his chunky frame.  Emma, Vin, and the staff all laughed.

“You can play the part of my little brother now,” Emma said and kissed his cheeked.

“Funny,” Alex said in his childlike voice.

“Come on shorty.  Let’s get something in your belly,” Emma said, taking his hand.  The staff all laughed at the two giant children.

As the weeks went on, Alex and Emma kept evolving.  Two of Vin’s staff members fell ill to the virus.  Instead of calling in for work, Vin insisted they stay.  He made the two start journaling their experience.  Vin kept in touch with other top secret labs around the world.  Emma and Alex were still the original test subjects.  Emma had now grown into a sixteen year old and Alex was now fourteen and taller than his wife.  The two were going through their awkward teenage phase.  Emma stood at eleven foot three and Alex was twelve foot even.  They both weighed over a ton a piece.

Vin worked on creating a food substitute in the form of a shake to keep their hunger pangs at bay.  Food supply would eventually become an issue with the new race of giants taking over the world.  Right now as it stood, only a handful of people have become affected by this new evolution.  The total stood at a thousand and five, but Vin suspected that that number would grow.  No children or teenagers seemed affected by it, just people in their thirties and forties.  The elderly seemed like an untouched group too.

Vin looked up at his old friend who was twice his size now.  He looked like that awkward kid that he used to play ball with.  Tall and slender.  Shaggy hair and awkward.  Alex gave him a smile.

“Never thought I would ever have to relive these years again,” Alex said in his newly changed voice.  He was grateful to be getting his old voice back.

“Bet you never thought you would be big man on campus again either,” Vin joked as he climbed up to the catwalk.  Workers put up the catwalk for the sole purpose of talking to Alex and Emma on their respective level.  Alex laughed.

“I never thought I would be roughly the size of an elephant either or have the brain capacity to score above an I.Q. test,” Alex said with a long look.

“No more Saturday racket ball or basketball.  It’s safe to say that you’ll kick my ass,” Vin tried to cheer his friend up.

“Will we ever get out of here, Vin?  I don’t mean to be ungrateful.  I just want to go back to my life.”

“Soon.  First I want to make sure you don’t keep aging so rapidly.  You and Emma have grown so much in the past weeks.  Sometimes I swear I can see you two growing before my eyes.”

“I can feel it.  Especially lately since I’m in my growing years,” Alex said.  He felt himself shudder and shack.  Sure enough, just as he stood there talking to Vin, he felt himself pop up about an inch.  Instinctively, Alex leaned against the makeshift fifteen foot wall that had a measuring chart.

“Twelve foot and three inches.  This morning you were exactly twelve feet.  You’re definitely hitting some major growth spurts.  I figure you’ll be around thirteen feet before long.  Emma has slowed down dramatically.  I give her another five weeks and she’ll stop,” Vin explained.  He knew his friends were getting weary of their new plight.  No one ever wants to wake up to being twice their size.

Emma came in from the outside.  She looked beautiful in her pink sundress and naturally curly locks that went down her back.  Alex couldn’t deny that being a giantess agreed with his wife.  She seemed to glow with a newfound energy that she hasn’t had before.  Her hair always seemed in place and her skin as rosy as ever.  She bragged that she didn’t need makeup anymore, although she did use a tube of pink lip gloss once in a while.  The flavored kind that Alex liked so much.

Emma hugged Alex.  Alex felt awkward around his wife.  His long willowy frame looked strange next to Emma’s curves.  She looked so good to Alex.

“I miss you, Al,” Emma said.

“You only went for a walk,” Alex said.

“I know.  Even out there I’m reminded just how big I am,” Emma said.  Alex looked down at the flowers his wife picked.  Emma always picked daisies, they were her favorite, but instead of daisies, Emma held a bouquet of cherry tree branches with loads of blossoms.  “You see, you’re the only one who I feel comfortable around anymore,” Emma then said with a tear in her eye.   Alex took her into his arms.  Emma felt calm being enveloped into her husband.

“There will be more of us, sweetheart.  Ally and Steve will be like us soon,” Alex tried to soothe his gigantic wife.  At least she wasn’t gigantic to him.

“We might be old and gray by then.  I hate this not knowing,” Emma sobbed.

Just then, Vin’s assistant approached him on the catwalk.  The tall blond woman handed Vin a folder.  Vin flipped through it and cleared his throat to get the two giants attention.

“Seems I just got some good news regarding you two,” Vin said.  “Your blood is quite extraordinary.  The test shows that Emma’s aging is slowing down.  We guess that you will stop completely aging by the evolution age of twenty-five, by then your aging will slow down to normal.  Although your blood and skin is different than when you were human.  You may stay looking and feeling twenty-five for a lot longer.”

Emma leaned over the catwalk and kissed Vin on the forehead.  Vin smelled like lip gloss and Emma left her mark on him.  Alex laughed at his friend and Vin smiled.

“I’m glad I can make your day, Emma,” Vin said, wiping the pink mess off his face with a handkerchief.  Alex hugged Emma and put his head on her shoulder.

“This is great news,” Emma squealed.  She threw her arms around Alex’s neck and they kissed deeply.