- Text Size +

Dan drove to Gaea House, he was curious to find out the giant’s secret. That little boy was so big, it wasn’t normal. The little boy made him feel small. Dan’s cell rang and he answered it.
“Dan, is everything okay out there?” Leah’s voice asked.
“Yes, there was a problem at Gaea House; I’m heading there right now. Mr. James wants to explain something important,” Dan answered his wife.
“Dan…” Leah wanted to say something but lost her words.
“What’s wrong, honey?”
“I’m feeling ill. It’s the symptoms,” Leah said. Dan went silent.
“I’ll be home as soon as I can. I’ll let Mr. James know,” was all that Dan could manage to say.
“I love you, honey,” Leah said.
“I love you too. I’ll be home soon,” Dan said.
Dan pulled into the Gaea property. What were once two old abandoned hangars was now a large complex and three more hangars and two barns, a small community for the giants. Steve directed him to the complex after giving Tommy to the ten foot plus Melinda. Dan couldn’t believe how fast the giants grow once the illness take over. The longer the illness is in the system, the quicker the giants seem to grow. This thought made Dan sad because two of the three people he loves are going to make him feel like a doll.
Dan got out of his car, Steve did something that he didn’t do often, and he offered his hand to the diminutive man. Steve remembered his high school days when the jocks would stuff him into his locker and how he hated it when they would pick him up which was the reason Steve didn’t like picking up people he barely knew. Dan hopped on without hesitation.
Steve took Dan to his office and sat him on his desk. Steve picked up that Dan was deep in his thoughts. Dan looks up at the giant with tears in his eyes.
“Leah just called me. She’s sick,” Dan said.
“Oh Dan, I am so sorry. I’ll send out one of the techs to pick her up,” Steve said.
“I have no money to pay you. You’ve done so much for Brad already and I don’t know if I’ll ever repay you,” Dan sobbed. Steve wasn’t sure if he should but he put his hand around Dan like he did with Tommy or Melinda in his version of a comforting hug.
“I don’t need your money. Soon money won’t mean a thing to anybody,” said the giant entering the office. The giant was so tall that he had to duck to enter the office. This giant made Steve look small and he had the face of a god with gorgeous blue eyes. “My name is Alex Anderson and I am one of the founding members of Gaea House.”
“Alexander Anderson? One of the first giants? I’ve read about you,” Dan said, staring up at the giant in awe. “I’ve read that you have taken up giant causes and that you have given away almost all your fortune to The Gaea Foundation.”
“One and the same,” the titanic giant said with a charming smile. “What am I going to do with sports cars and Italian suits anyway? Steve wanted to tell you about Operation Titan. It is important that you not breathe a word of this to the outside world, we are already being watched by critics and the last thing we need is the plug pulled on this.”
“Operation Titan?” Dan questioned and the giants looked to one another. Dan knew of the giant’s silent communications, he had witnessed this before.
“It’s a top secret project we came up with here at the main Gaea House. It came about after Aaron Smith; our resident farmer took up studying plants and the environment. His findings are very alarming for the human race and the reason we feel this whole evolution thing came about,” Steve said, looking down at the man sitting on his desk.
“The human race doesn’t have much time left according to these findings. Global warming is taking over the planet much quicker than reported. The atmosphere is becoming warmer by the day and the effects are irreversible. Aaron has found that plant biology is changing. Natural plants that haven’t been created by the hands of man are changing. They are becoming bigger and much sturdier than before. Some heirloom vegetable plants have outgrown hybrids in our test gardens recently. Even the sun is changing. Our findings are very bleak for the humans on this planet,” Alex said with a sad look in his eyes.
“We worry about our children. According to our findings the atmosphere is becoming like it was in the Jurassic age. The air is becoming thinner and everything is slowly changing except for us. Dr. Gunderson himself has recently fallen ill. There are very few humans left in the age ranges this evolution has taken effect. Dr. Gunderson is keeping his condition under wraps at the moment, but he still works on Operation Titan. Operation Titan is very important to us,” Steve said.
“What is Operation Titan? Does it have to do with your abnormally large child?” Dan asks.
“Yes it does. We have unlocked the right formula to cause change. We have never tried it on an adult subject but the serum works on all subjects that haven’t evolved. We are unsure of the final results yet but we have had great success with our thirteen subjects including my son. We have only given them enough for their DNA to change into ours which it has. We only plan on offering it to people that have evolved with children still in their care. We don’t plan on taking it to the schools and having ‘mandatory vaccination’ with it,” Steve said.
“This is madness! What if it gets into the wrong hands? What happens then?” Dan says. Steve looks over at the small pile of toys on his desk as sadness fills his green eyes. He fumbles to pick up the small plastic dump truck between his thumb and index finger, the truck breaks. Steve frowns.
“I think the world of my son, Mr. Hester. I loved it when I would come home from a long trip in some traveling lab and the first thing I would get when I would come home was a hug from my son. The warmth of his little embrace meant the world to me. The hours of playing with him and his toy cars, I wouldn’t trade for the world. Now his toy cars barely fit between my fingers and Tommy is the size of a mouse to me. I don’t care about all the material things that I’ve lost by becoming this different person, but losing Tommy is something that I can’t live with. You will have the same dilemma someday, maybe even now. What would you do to save your son’s life?” Steve said as he pulled out another bed sheet.
“Honestly, I would more than likely do the same thing,” Dan said and patted Steve’s hand. Steve gave him a small smile. “In fact, with Leah changing, maybe this is something we need to discuss for Josh.”
“Maybe, but discuss this with your wife first. This is not an easy decision,” Steve said.

Calvin Harper sat in his mansion high atop a mountain. The feeble man with a bone breaking disorder cheered success when one of his lab techs broke the code to the serum using the sample that Morgan had left behind. The lab tech came into the grand ballroom of the old mansion.
“Sir, I think I have it,” said the shaky man. Roderick Cowell was a desperate man. He lost his credibility after the science community discovered his ‘experiments.’ Roderick had a sick fascination with mutations. He was the perfect fit for Calvin’s new venture, himself. Roderick held the syringe with the blue fluid.
“Good! We have no time to test it on a subject. I shall be your test subject,” Calvin said with a smirk. Calvin was going to grow or die. The old man had his heart set on becoming the first of his line of giants. He knew that evolving humans the world over were cured of their conditions.
“Are you sure?”
“Don’t question me! Just do it,” Calvin shouted.
With a shaky hand, Roderick injected the serum into the old man’s arm; even the unsavory scientist questioned his actions.
“No one else is to be injected until I say so. You got that, Roddy,” Calvin said with a laugh. Calvin felt the serum flowing through his blood. A tingling effect hit his brittle joints as his bones were becoming stronger. Calvin knew that the growth would be slow at first as his body gets used to the new changes raging inside. Then Calvin looked down at his liver spotted hand. The spots had slowly begun to fade. Calvin laughs.

“I have a bad feeling,” Melinda tells Steve and Alex. “I have a feeling this isn’t over with yet.” Melinda looks up at the cage suspended from the ceiling of Alpha Four hangar, inside that cage stood kidnapper Franklin Morgan. He quaked with fear of the giants below him.
“Brad mentioned Calvin Harper,” Steve said, knowing well that this man was once one of Alex’s rivals.
“It doesn’t surprise me a bit. That brittle bag of bones has always bitter about my success. Calvin never liked new money much,” Alex said.
“Do you think he may have succeeded in getting Tommy’s DNA? I’m sure he has that squirrel Cowell working for him,” Ally said. “He’s a mad fucking genius.”
“I don’t know, but we’ll have to wait and find out,” Alex said.

Calvin Harper woke up the next morning feeling like a new man. He hasn’t grown an inch but he noticed a remarkable difference. Instead of using his wheelchair that has been his prison all these years, he walked with his cane. His skeleton felt stronger. He looks in the mirror to see that his hair on his bald head was beginning to grow and his grays turning into that dark hair he had when he was young. “This is only the beginning,” Calvin said to himself.

Dan Hester felt empty inside when he woke up from sleeping in his empty bed. Leah had been taken away to Gaea House to evolve and now it was just the boys. Outside the open widow stood Brad looking bigger than he did the day before. Dan gives him a tired smile.
“Morning Dan, I couldn’t sleep much last night,” Brad quietly said.
“Me either,” Dan tells his gigantic brother. Dan could see that Brad was slightly slouched over so he could peer into the window. Dan got up out of the bed with a shiver and quickly grabbed his robe. It made him cold to see that Brad wasn’t wearing a shirt. “Aren’t you cold?”
“No, my body doesn’t feel the cold like it used to,” Brad answered.
“Which is why I’ve never seen a giant wearing so much as socks,” Dan responded as he made his bed.
“It’s not so bad, Dan. Leah is not in pain. It only hurts the first day but after that you feel … new. Kind of like your life gets to start all over again,” Brad said.
“But you’re evolving differently?”
“That’s only because of my Downs. I was as close to a child as an adult could get. We evolve differently because of who we were. I have grown up before your eye, have I not?”
“Yes you have, Brad. I wish our selfish parents could see you now. If you weren’t so big but look as you do now, they wouldn’t have had any problems taking you to the country club or their parties. Hell, you could have been the one they wanted to marry that awful Susanne Harper,” Dan said, walking up to the window. Dan had always bonded with Brad, but now it was on a different level that Dan never thought possible. Dan could now talk to Brad like an adult. Brad smiled.
“You used to tell me about her. Mom wanted you to be with her so bad, didn’t she?”
“Only because of the money, that’s all her and dad ever worried about. Susanne’s family is extremely wealthy. I was just thankful that that troll she calls an uncle didn’t like me,” Dan said.
“Calvin Harper,” Brad mumbled.
“Yeah, that’s him. How do you know about the brittle billionaire?” Dan asks.
“He’s the one that wanted Tommy. I read it all over that awful Franklin guy last night. He was going to experiment on Tommy and he sort of did in the back of that van. I could still see him getting samples and poor Tommy, growing so tight in those ropes,” Brad explained with a frown.
“That bastard! Do the others know?” Dan asked his giant brother knowing full and well that Brad kept silent communications open.
“They know, but there is not much for us to do right now. We have to watch and wait,” Brad said.