- Text Size +

In a matter of minutes, Brad had read all the documents his brother left on his kitchen table.  What takes average man days to read and comprehend, a giant can do in a matter of minutes.  It was an internet copy of the new giant laws being proposed by congress.  Brad didn’t like what he had read.  According to one of the paragraphs, Dan and Leah could get into serious trouble by having Brad anywhere near Josh.  Another paragraph required him to register and change his status from human to giant which in turn would take his rights away as a citizen.  Brad’s mind was not as simple as it once was and he didn’t like this one bit.  He knew that the president was a giant sympathizer, but that didn’t matter.

The following day, Brad enjoyed a beautiful day outside with Josh.  As like the morning before, his world had gotten smaller as the growth spurts became more and more frequent.  Leah guessed he had grown a full foot in his sleep that night, which brought him close to being sixteen feet.  Josh and Brad played hide and seek and of course Josh was winning.

Brad passed by Dan and Leah’s second floor office.  Leah had every widow open in the house.  Brad’s keen eyesight spotted the weekly bills and budget.  He opened the window screen and reached in to grab the small pieces of paper.  It was Leah’s food budget and a bank statement.  Brad sighed.  He didn’t like what he saw there either.  Dan and Leah were on the verge of going in debt despite the weekly deliveries from Gaea House and the trust fund set up for his care.  Of course, the trust fund was to pay the expenses of the facility Brad once stayed at.  The little sum of money Carl paid Brad barely covered a fourth of his food bill.  Brad was literally eating his brother and sister-in-law out of house and home.  Brad made a decision.  Tonight after everyone was in bed, Brad was going to run away.

Brad didn’t want to be a burden on his brother any longer.  He could contact Steven at Gaea House for a place to stay, but he didn’t want to be a burden there either.  Gaea House had plenty of giants already living there, Brad didn’t want to intrude.

 

Tonight is the night Franklin Morgan is going to make his move.  He had a syringe of sedatives and plenty of rope.  Thomas James is going to be his.  Franklin knew every inch of the Gaea House property, even the private hangars that housed the resident giants.  He had to act fast.  A van idles behind Alpha Two and Thomas James is playing outside on his play set.  Dr. Gunderson didn’t want the children out where people could see them, not after the toy store affair where Tommy’s size was pointed out.  Even though the growth was supposed to be gradual, something different happened instead, the growth came quicker than expected. 

Thomas James went from having the intelligence of a four year old to that of a high school senior.  The last time Franklin saw him, he was the size of an eight year old and now he is the size of a ten year old in only the matter of a few hours.  Still small enough for Franklin to overpower which he did.

Franklin injected Tommy with the syringe and tied him up.  He put Tommy in the back of the van and drove off Gaea property.

Franklin quickly got as many samples as he could from the oversized sedated child.  He put them in an envelope and gave them to a man in a black car before driving farther down the road.  No words were ever exchanged.  If Franklin didn’t make it out alive, there was always the backup plan.  Calvin Harper made sure of that.

 

Melinda felt that something was wrong, that a part of her was missing.  Ever since her growth, Melinda has had a strange attachment to all the people she loves.  Standing at nearly ten feet tall that feeling got stronger the more she grew.  She decided to go check on Tommy.

She saw that he wasn’t outside playing on his play set, so she decided to call for him.  Tommy wasn’t responding.  She then reached out her thoughts to him and nothing.  Melinda was starting to get scared so she reached her thoughts out to Steve.

That bastard Morgan just went M.I.A. at the lab.  I bet he has Tommy.  I’ll see if I can get Caroline to track him down.  Steve’s words flooded Melinda’s mind.  Steve thought of Caroline’s newfound uncanny abilities to track things down.  The secretary that was once responsible for keeping one of the most influential CEOs in the country organized and up to speed now has the uncanny abilities to track people and things through her enhanced senses.  Melinda couldn’t quite picture the very beautiful woman sniffing the air for odors but that is exactly what she did.

Caroline Honeywell tracked the van’s fumes heading in the direction of the Hester farm.  Steve had an idea…

Brad was sitting at his kitchen table writing out a letter on the kind of paper they wrap meat with at a butcher shop.  Something made the hairs on his neck stand up.  Steven James’ voice came through loud and clear.  The very large giant was calling for help and he wanted Brad’s help.  Brad got mental pictures of a black van being driven by an average looking man with dark hair and eyes.  The man almost looked rat like and then he got the mental picture of a red-headed little boy the same age as Josh, only bigger.  Brad waded up the piece of paper and threw it away and he then went out into the night…

Dan and Leah Hester lay in their bed reading, a nightly ritual, Dan a Time magazine and Leah the latest romance novel.  All seemed pretty quiet until they heard the pounding of Brad’s footsteps outside.  Dan got up to see what was going on.  Brad barely slept some nights, worrying about whether he would get any bigger or not.  Dan got the surprise of his life when he saw Brad running out of his barn and into the night.  Dan didn’t waste any time slipping into his robe and grabbing the car keys.  He needed to know what was going on.

Dan hoped into his Beemer and followed the direction his brother was going.  He caught up to Brad on the deserted country road but Brad seemed to ignore him.  Then Dan saw the headlights of a van through Brad’s long legs.  The van was going to just barrel on through Brad at full speed, but Brad thought fast and levitated the van.  Brad had to be careful of the precious cargo.  He knew why the child was so big; Steve communicated everything to Brad with the telepathy.  Brad disabled the engine of the vehicle and opened the driver’s side door.  Dan got out of his car and watched on as his brother pulled the man out of the van.

“Why are you kidnapping an innocent child?” Brad asked the frightened man.

“That child isn’t innocent, he’s an abomination!  They’re all abominations!  Especially your kind,” Franklin Morgan spit out.

“If you’re not going to tell me, I have other ways of picking it out of your brain.  Tell me, who are you working for?” Brad said in his normal loud tone. 

Dan just stood there and watched.  He never thought he would ever see this side of Brad.  Assertive and frightening is what would describe the oversized man in the middle of the road.  Brad held the man by the collar of his shirt.  The horrid little man shook with fear as Brad’s normally soulful eyes squinted in disgust.

“Tell me you piece of shit,” Brad said even louder.  Dan was shocked by his little brother’s profanity.  Then Dan decided he better check the van that Brad gently brought to the ground shortly after grabbing the man out of the driver’s seat.  Dan opened the back of the vehicle and was struck by the sight of a red-headed child that looked to be about his own son’s age, but Dan stood there for a moment, shocked by the sight of this child that was waking from his drug induced stupor. 

Tommy had grown tight in the bonds.  The boy was now roughly the size of a twelve year old with the body and features of the four year old he actually is.  He moaned through the tight gag at the man.  He wanted out, but most of all, he wanted his daddy.

Dan heard the loud footsteps getting closer; he didn’t run in fright but stayed by the van.  Brad just stood there with the man in his grasp; the look of concentration filled his normally angelic features.  Then a large man came crashing through the trees on the side of the road.  It was the giant, Steven James.  Dan took out his pocket knife and jumped into the back of the van.

“Tommy,” the larger read-headed giant said, ignoring the smaller giant with the man.  Steve got down on his hands and knees to look inside the van.

“Daddy,” Tommy said.  Dan cut off the gag first and was working on the ropes.

“Impossible,” Franklin muttered when he heard the child’s voice.  “He had the right dose.  That boy shouldn’t be awake.”  Brad still held him, but kept concentrating on Franklin’s thoughts.

“Calvin Harper,” Brad mumbled.  “He wants the serum.  He is not going to get it.”

Dan cut the bonds slowly as Steve watched, unable to help his son.  Sadness filled his green eyes as the kindly lawyer freed his son.

“I take it that this is your son,” Dan said, cutting to free the impossibly long four year old’s legs.

“Yes he is.  He’s been subjected to our secret project,” Steve said, feeling that Dan had a right to know.  “If you come with us back to Gaea House, I can explain.”

“You’re doing this to your children?” Dan said, looking at the impossibly large four year old.

“They had no choice,” Brad said, still holding the man like a rag doll.  Just then Dan realizes just how scary these giants can get.  “Please go with Mr. James, Dan.  There is good reasoning behind this.”

Then came two more giants out of the trees, a male and a female, the male stood slightly taller than Steven.  He had tied back black hair and dark blue eyes.  The woman had brown hair and brown eyes, both giants are fully evolved into their new heights.  “Our new friends from North Carolina,” Steve announced.  “This is Adam and Molly.  Adam will take Mr. Morgan.  Adam used to be a cop in his ‘past life.”

The one called Molly held a cage where Adam firmly dropped Franklin in, freeing up Brad.  “The military just brought them to us after they requested a transfer from their old ‘clinic.’  Adam has the gift of detect lies while Molly knows mind manipulation, which is not a gift she is proud of,” Steve said, trying to show Dan that he trust him.

Dan helped the very large boy out of the van.  Tommy ran to Steve, where Steve scooped him up into his large had.  He checked his son over despite the darkness.  Steve had another ability that all giants possess, he can see clearly in the dark.  Steve didn’t like the red marks on Tommy’s skin where he grew in his bonds.

“Daddy, that bad man tried to take me,” Tommy said.  “But I didn’t panic.”

“Are you okay?” Steve asks the boy.  “Do you hurt?”  Tommy nodded, feeling the stings of the too tight ropes.  Steve frowned.  From the headlights of the van and car, Dan could see that Steve was a very concerned and upset father.  The giant handled his boy like a little butterfly.  “I’m just glad you’re safe,” Steve whispered and put his other hand around the boy in a giant’s hug.  Dan could see the reasoning behind Steve’s heartbroken gaze.