- Text Size +

Brad smiled when he saw the big rig pull up the drive.  The truck had the Gaea House logo on the side of a goddess holding out her hands.  This will be the first in a long time since Brad has left the farm and he was excited.

“Whoa, big guy, easy now, they’re not going to leave without you,” Dan told his fifteen foot brother. 

“I can’t wait to see the other giants,” Brad said to his little big brother.  Brad still had innocence about him even though his intelligence exceeded that of the humans that spent so many years taking care of him.

“I know you can’t.  You have every reason to be excited,” Dan said patting his standing brother on the knee.

“I wish Josh could come with us,” Brad then said with a long look.  “All he talks about is that day at the toy store and the big kid that was his age.”

“I know, but Mr. James wants to meet you Brad.  He wants to see what an extraordinary person you become,” Leah said with a kind smile.

Dan and Leah Hester still sort of treated Brad like the oversized child he once was.  Leah felt like a mother to the oversized man for so many years that habits have become hard to break.  “Do you have your gift ready?” Leah asks Brad.

“Yes, I hope he likes it,” Brad said looking down at the five foot by five foot canvas of his latest masterpiece.  What was once stick people and childlike drawings have now become perfectly painted landscapes and portraits under Brad’s new hands.

“He will,” Leah said as she motioned for Brad to stoop down to her level.  Brad bent down with graceful flexibility that all the giants possess.  Leah kissed his check in that caste motherly way of hers.  “You be good and say hello to Mr. James for me,” Leah then said, patting his cheek.

“I will, Leah,” Brad said as he scooped her up into a hug.   Leah laughed as she tried to put her arms around him as best she could.  “You be good too or Josh will let me know if you’re not,” Brad then said, putting her gently back down, giving her a playful smile.  Then Brad bent down and playfully messed up Josh’s hair with his enormous fingertips.  Brad had always been able to be delicate, even when he had Downs.  Now, the Downs has all faded from Brad’s chromosomes.  Brad was now normal.

“Come on Brad,” Dan said as they walked out of his barn home.  Dan help Brad crawl into the back of the rig and then followed in after.  He waved to Leah and Josh before going into the trailer.  Leah didn’t know what to do with herself now since her adopted second son slash brother-in-law was on his first day out in a long time.

 

Dan had a hard time getting his bashful brother out of the trailer.  Brad can do complicated math problems, read every classic piece of literature there is and even knows all the classical musicians, but sometimes parts of Brad’s old ways have a tendency to show up.  Brad was still childlike in a lot of ways despite all his new knowledge.

“What’s wrong, big guy?”  Dan asks the gentle giant that is his brother.

“What if they don’t like me?”  Brad asks, looking down at him with his innocent eyes.

“They’re going to love you, Brad.  This is not like when you were human,” Dan says.  Brad had spent many nights recently talking to his brother about what he calls his ‘past life’ as a mentally retarded man.  Brad still cried over the treatment he received from strangers over his condition.  Even Dan would shed a few tears when no one was around.  It broke his heart to see his little brother like this; it reminded Dan of how fragile of a soul Brad is.

Allison Hayes came out of the main building of the complex.  She ‘heard’ Dan’s thoughts as he was trying to coax his little brother out of the trailer.  She looks at Brad with her sad doe eyes.  No one is going to hurt you anymore.  I won’t allow that and neither will Steve after you meet him.  You know that Dr. Gunderson wouldn’t hurt you either.  We are all good people here, Brad.  We wouldn’t have even made fun of you if you were still human.  In fact, we would’ve loved that Brad just as much.  Allison transmitted and held out her hand to the shy giant.  Brad took her hand which felt normal to him.  Nothing has felt normal to him in a long time ever since he started growing.

“That’s it, Brad.  You’re safe here.  We don’t judge,” Allison said in a calm and caring tone.  Brad stood up next to the taller giantess.  She looks down at him with sympathetic eyes.  Brad’s angelic face looked up at her and smiled.  This was what Brad looked like without the deformities his old condition caused.  Brad was truly handsome.  Allison couldn’t deny his beauty.  She had fallen in love with this creature and his innocent ways and Brad had felt something for Allison too, but he didn’t know what these feelings were.  They were adult feelings that the normally childlike Brad wasn’t aware of.

Allison’s fiancée broke off the engagement after Allison came out to him about her new condition.  Harold Harper couldn’t imagine his life with a giantess, even one as beautiful as Allison.  He found the newly evolved to be a hideous bunch of oversized monsters.  When he found out that his fiancée joined their ranks, Harry hit the roof with rage.  He went out on a massive drinking binge and picked up whatever normal women were left out there.  It was slim pickings for Harry as most of the good ones have changed.

“Mr. James wants to talk to your brother first and then he would like to meet you,” Allison tells Brad.  Brad nodded. 

Allison took Brad leaving Dan standing next to the trailer.  Then a very tall red headed woman came out to greet Dan.  The woman stood close to eight feet tall and appeared pregnant.  She introduced herself as Melinda James.  Dan guessed her to be the artsy type with her faded and stretched out tattoos.  Dan could barely make out the bluebirds with a heart that had what looked to be the name Tommy inside the heart.  Very unusual way for a tattoo to fade Dan thought to himself.  After dealing with putting criminals away, Dan knew a thing or two about tattoos and Melinda’s were like none he had ever seen before.

Melinda led Dan up a flight of steps.  Melinda took two steps at a time as she climbed up.  She did this comfortably because of her longer than average legs.

“Steven insisted he meet with you first since Brad is a very special case.  He feels that we need to ease Brad into his first encounter with him.  Steve can be very intimidating to people at first, but please don’t feel that way.  You’ll find that my husband can be a lot like your brother, Mr. Hester,” Melinda said, giving the six foot two Dan a smile.  Melinda opened the door for Dan.  The door led out to a balcony.

Dan took a seat in one of the chairs.  He wasn’t afraid of the giant that sat at his desk across from him.  In fact, Dan could see exactly what Melinda was taking about.

Steven James was a big as the building that housed Dan’s law practice.  He had a face that would make Zeus envious and clear green eyes, but that’s not what got Dan attention.  What got Dan’s attention were the loud contant thuds.  Dan couldn’t see it, but Dan knew that Steven James, the largest giant in the world, was nervously shaking his leg.  This caused Dan to smile.