- Text Size +

Steve paced about the hangar nervously.  Soon the world will know of his existence.  Melinda was working late on some paperwork and Robin came over to help with Tommy.  Steve missed helping Melinda give Tommy his bath and putting his on his pajamas for bed.  Now he had to rely on the hands of others to take care of his boy.

Melinda and Steve never told Tommy about Melinda’s condition and Tommy never seemed to notice that week by week his mother was gradually changing.  Steve never really noticed either unless she stood next to something.  Tonight happened to be the night Tommy found out about his mother.

Melinda entered the hangar and Steve gently scooped her up in his hand.  Melinda was never surprised; it was the same every night she worked late.  Steve held her close to his face and Melinda would kiss his nose.  Robin enters the room with Tommy just as Steve put Melinda back down.  Tommy gives her a hug and Robin approaches her.  This time instead of Melinda looking up at the six foot Robin, Robin had to look up at Melinda.  Today’s checkup, Melinda measured at six foot five inches.  Tommy never noticed until Robin stood next to Melinda.

“Mommy, you got big,” Tommy said.  Robin looked down at Melinda’s bare feet.  Robin had been wearing her usual work boots.  She then looked back up at Melinda with a smile.  Melinda had dramatically thinned out.  She had become a red-headed amazon with faded tattoos.  Melinda was barely recognizable from that overweight woman that had first come here.  Her pert little nose matched the rest of her heart shaped face.  Her light blue eyes sparkled and her dark red hair shone.  “Mommy, you pretty,” Tommy then said.

“Your son is right, Melinda.  Evolving is definitely agreeing with you,” Robin said.

“Yes, but I can’t go to the press conference next week.  I’m Gaea House’s next big secret besides that new formula,” Melinda says.

“You sure you still want Tommy to be test subject three?  We can always get another test subject,” Robin said, unsure of the new serum the giants developed.

“We need a test subject from every age group to age thirteen.  The injection is designed to make the subject momentarily ill if it doesn’t work.  Ally is quite confident,” Steve said.  “I only wish I could have been of assistance,” Steve than said, missing his days of chemicals and test tubes.

“I hope for your sake it works, Steve,” Robin said.

 

Steve sat on a chair behind a curtain.  The media peoples’ thoughts flooded his mind like a storm.  Steve did his best to block them out.  Emma held his hand; she had come to give her support to her oversized friend since Melinda couldn’t come.  She fussed over his blue and black scrub outfit.  Are you going to be alright, Steve?  Emma’s thought effortlessly flowed.  Emma knew that Steve was very introverted and shy; she found this trait rather sweet and charming.

I think so, but my heart is elsewhere right now.  I hope Tommy is going to be okay.  Steve broadcasted back.  Today was not only the day for the conference, but also the day the serum was getting injected into thirteen children, his son being one of those children.  Steve reached out his mind to his son.  Tommy was unaware of what’s going on.  Melinda held him in her arms.  Tommy looked so small these days.  Melinda’s last checkup had her at seven foot even.  She is now forbidden to leave Gaea House.  I wish I could be there with him.  He is so frightened right now.  Steven then broadcasted. 

Emma gave him a warm and caring smile.  Tommy will be alright.  Children are resilient, he’ll forget about the whole experience.  Emma broadcasted back and squeezed his enormous hand.

 

Meanwhile in the restricted lab at Gaea House, Melinda James held her three year old son as one of the human tech injected Tommy with a clear blue liquid.  Tommy cried from the poke as most kids his age would.  It was bad enough they weighed and measured every inch of him and touched every muscle in his body.  Tommy hated being here, but his Mommy and Daddy told him that if he wanted to be big and strong he had to come.  Tommy wanted to be big and strong like his hero, his Daddy, so he endured the place.

“Melinda, I need you to feed him a shake with every meal so that we know he is getting proper nutrition.  We’re going to need to check him every day to see if it’s working, if it’s not Tommy will experience weight gain and sickness.  If it works, the serum will gradually change Tommy’s DNA with his natural growth.  It will hardly be noticeable at first, but as time goes on, his growth should accelerate the older he gets,” Ally explained.

“I’m going to be big like Daddy, Aunt Ally?” Tommy said.

“I hope so,” Ally said, sitting on the floor so she could look at him and Melinda. 

“I want to be big,” Tommy said.

Steve wants to be able to hold his son properly.  He loves Tommy so much.  It’ll be nice not have Tommy mouse sized anymore.  Melinda broadcasted. 

Let’s hope it takes, for the sake of the children.  Ally broadcasted back.  She then stood up to her new height of sixteen feet.  She wasn’t growing as quickly as Steve, but then again neither were all the other original giants.  Steve still stands above all the others.

 

Today many news outlets have come here to Gaea House where Doctor Vincent Gunderson called a press conference.  Seems the world’s giant people have only gotten bigger.  Dr. Gunderson revealed a giant by the name of Steven James.  Mr. James stands as tall as a three story building, making him the tallest giant on record.

The press talked to Mr. James and found out that he is five times as big as he used to be and that Mr. James was once a lab tech who happened to work for Dr. Gunderson.  Mr. James appeared to be quiet and nervous.  You ask this reporter; Mr. James has nothing to be nervous about.

Melinda watched the news report.  Old pictures of Steve appeared on the screen next to his new and improved self.  Steven’s world just got turned upside-down.

 Melinda then served dinner for her and Tommy.  She had Vin order a pizza to be sent to the guards where she had to pick it up.  Tommy needed a special treat for his bravery.  She served Tommy his shake before the pizza.  Tommy didn’t like it but Melinda made him drink it and she drunk one as well. 

Tommy had eaten almost half of one of the two pizzas.  Melinda decided not to stop him from having as much as he wanted.  She has a growing boy on her hands now.