- Text Size +
Alban awoke early the next morning, while his new companion was still sleeping. He carefully slipped out from underneath her hands, and crept along on top of her chest. Of course he was still naked, and while he didn’t mind Valerie looking at him undressed, he wouldn’t want any passing travellers catching him in this rather embarrassing state. He climbed down her shoulder and landed on a carpet of golden hair. For a while he just sat there, inhaling the scent of her hair, and staring at her face next to him, enthralled. It was simply astounding how much bigger she was than him, and he seriously wondered how his life would be like, living with her.

Soon afterwards, he set off quickly towards her bag, which was lying at her side, and walked into it. In there he found his shirt, trousers and boots, which he put on at once. He also took his sword, and attached it to his belt. When this was done, he helped himself to some of her food, knowing that she wouldn’t mind.

“She probably eats more in a day than I do in ten years,” he thought. “It’s a good thing she has her own castle where she can live – I doubt whether there’d be enough to feed her, were she to stay with me in Elgon.”

When he went outside again, he saw that they were not alone anymore, and he quickly drew his sword. A huge grey ogre, about twenty feet tall, and carrying a stone club, was prowling around near Valerie’s head. The beast seemed confused by the giant thing which lay before it, and Alban was able to get very close to it before it noticed him. He’d fought ogres before, though none of them had been this large, and he had no doubt that this one was hungry, and looking for fresh meat.

The monster noticed him before he could attack it, and it turned to face him, snarling loudly. Alban tried to dodge a blow from its club, but, after his imprisonment and torture, he wasn’t exactly in a monster-fighting condition. The club hit him in the stomach, sending him thirty feet through the air. His sword flew out of his hand and landed fifteen feet away from him. He began to crawl towards it, but the ogre was faster than he was, and soon it had him pinned to the ground with its foot. He couldn’t move, and as the beast raised its club to kill him, he closed his eyes.

All of a sudden all the weight on his body vanished, and he opened his eyes again. The ogre was no longer on top of him, but dangling a hundred-and-fifty feet above him. It was Valerie who had saved him, of course. She’d been awakened by the noise the monster had made, and by Alban’s cries, and had jumped to intervene when she saw he was in danger. She had grabbed the ogre by its legs, and was now deciding what to do with it. It continued to struggle in her grasp, bashing its club against her fingers, which hurt her so much that she nearly dropped it.

At that moment she couldn’t what else to do, so she took aim above the surrounding trees, and threw the ogre off above them with all her strength. It must have landed nearly a mile away, and Valerie had no doubt that she’d just killed it. She felt rather bad about it, but the thing had been tying to kill her beloved prince, so she decided that she’d done the right thing. She now turned her attention to Alban, who was still lying at her feet, completely blown away by what he’d just seen. She stooped and picked him up. He sat trembling in her hand, and looked at her with awe.

“Are you all right?” she asked, and he nodded. “I’m sorry if I scared you, sweetie, but I couldn’t leave you to die, could I?”

“No…it’s just…being rescued all the time by a girl…a girl who’s so much bigger and stronger than me…well, it just feels a little…uncomfortable.”

“Well, in that case, I suppose I’ll just stop doing it then…”

“No, please…” he looked around him for something to hold; he found her thumb, and embraced it. “I’m really grateful for your help, Valerie. What I told you last night, about how I feel, was the truth. But, you must understand, this is all very unusual for me. I mean, where I come from, everyone is taught that it’s the man’s job to protect his wife, not the other way around, and…I guess what I’m trying to say…”

Suddenly he stopped talking and began to laugh. She looked at him in bewilderment, but eventually she began to laugh too. Just like the women in Alban’s country, Valerie had also been taught to be meek and obedient, and to not try and be better than the men in anything. She had thought this rule was unfair for most of her life; and now she no longer needed to obey it.

“I assume,” she said, when they’d finished laughing, “that the fact that your sweetheart could crush you with her thumb doesn’t upset you, then?”

“Oh, not really,” he said, giving her a kiss just above her thumbnail. “Though it would be nice if you could occasionally let me handle these kinds of situations. I am a warrior, after all – I don’t need a princess to protect me.”

“Very well, then. From now on, if we were to be attacked by some hideous giant monster, or by a horde of barbarians, I’ll pretend to be in some sort of peril, so that my brave, invincible warrior can come and save me.”

“No, that isn’t what I meant…”

“It’s all right, Alban!” she said, laughing. “I was only joking! I know what men are like: they always feel they have to show off to the girls in one way or another. But you don’t have to show off to me! Just promise you’ll always be there for me, whenever I need you, because I’ll always be there for you, and I’ll look out for you in every way I can.”

She pressed him to her lips, enjoying the feeling of his tiny body against her skin. Who needs a giant man, she thought, when you can have a little one like this, to hold in the palm of your hand, and call your own?

After she’d eaten breakfast, they both agreed that they must go to the capital city of Elgon. Alban had been away from it for quite a while, and he would like to see his home again, before he went back with Valerie to her land. He also knew that he had to the families of his friends about their deaths, which wasn’t going to be easy, since he’ll probably get all the blame. But, most importantly, he was going to have to tell his father, the king, about Valerie. What the old man’s reaction would be, Alban couldn’t even begin to guess, and he hoped with all his heart that she would be accepted by his kinsmen, though this seemed extremely unlikely to him.

Just before setting off, Valerie put Alban on her shoulder, where he could hold onto her dress and her hair, and where it was unlikely that anyone on the ground below would see him. He was a bit uncomfortable at first, but soon got used to the ride, and enjoyed looking at both the countryside from this high vantage point, and at his beautiful princess, whose enormous face towered right beside him. She walked about as fast as a horse galloping at full speed, and he guessed it would only reach her a couple of days to reach the royal city.

She left the forests behind, and begun walking along a major road, keeping an eye out for other travellers. She met many of these, from soldiers to beggars, and every single one of them ran off in terror when they saw her. Valerie just ignored them and kept walking; she didn’t feel like trying to explain to every one of them that they didn’t have to be afraid of her.

The next day the countryside started to become less wild and more populated. Every now and then they would arrive at a small village or farming community, whose inhabitants, upon seeing the giantess approaching in the distance, quickly hid themselves indoors. A few of them dared to look out of their windows, only to see a giant girl smiling and waving at them as she walked past. Valerie always walked around the towns; she was afraid she’d accidentally step on a person, or a house, if she tried to go through them.

At last they reached the capital of Elgon. It was a large city, several miles across, encircled by a wall fifty feet high. To one side there rose a large hill, and it was on this that the king’s castle, Alban’s home, was situated. Valerie kept following the road towards the main gate of the city, but soon realized that this wasn’t going to be easy. A large group of soldiers were waiting for her, at least several thousand of them. They were armed with spears and bows, and there were also a number of large catapults. She stopped a few hundred feet away from them, and looked down at Alban.

“What is happening here?” she asked. “Did you know about this?”

“No,” he replied, uncertain if she was accusing him or not. “I swear, I didn’t know. They must have sent the word ahead – our messengers can travel as fast as you can, and they usually ride throughout the night as well. Please, let me go to them, and I’ll explain to them that you’re not an enemy.”

She picked him up and held him before her eyes.

“All right,” she said. “I believe you. Go and talk to them if you want to, but if any one of those soldiers decides to attack me, I won’t hesitate to defend myself, do you understand?”

“Of course. You know I’ll be there to defend you as well, but I hope it won’t come to that. I know many of these men – I’m sure they’ll listen to me.”

She put him down carefully at her feet, then sat down and watched him head off towards the army. Looking behind her, she saw several crowds of people in the distance, though they were too far away to see clearly. No doubt news of her had spread throughout the country by now, and she guessed that those were all people who’d come to see for themselves if she was real. She was also blocking the road into the city, and people had stopped their travels in and out of the gates, so she reckoned that was another reason for the crowds.

Alban had reached the edge of the contingent, and was immediately recognized by several of the officers in command there. An older man with a plumed helmet approached him, gasped in surprise, and embraced him. It was his uncle, Monar, his father’s brother, and a general in the military. Unlike the king, Monar was a good-natured man, and Alban often felt more comfortable talking to him than to his father.

“Thank the gods you’re safe,” the old man said. “We’d heard rumours that you were captured by that bastard Bargar, but when some of our troops arrived at his fortress, they found it destroyed, and we were afraid that you and your companions were dead.”

“Alas, uncle, I am the only survivor. My friends have all died during our travels, and I would be dead too, if a very special person hadn’t arrived and saved me.” He pointed towards Valerie, who was looking at all of them with interest, though she was too far away to tell what was going on. The general, his fellow commanders, and all of the soldiers who were standing nearby, all looked at Alban in wonder.

“Saved you?” Monar exclaimed. “We thought you were that…that thing’s prisoner. We’ve been hearing reports of a giant stalking through the countryside, and that it was carrying a man on its shoulder…was that you?”

“Yes, I was travelling with her. Oh, and she’s not just any giant: she is the princess of Vandan, the last living member of her race, and she does not want any hostility between her and us humans. She defeated Bargar and his legions single-handedly, and has rescued me from his dungeons.”

“But why would it…would she do something like that? Does she want anything from us?”

“No,” Alban laughed. “You see, I rescued her first, from an ancient enchantment. A curse, which they say only true love can break. Uncle Monar…well, there’s no other way to say this, so I’ll just say it. I think…I think I’m in love with her.”

Chaos suddenly erupted around him. From all sides men were shouting at him, so much so that he couldn’t make out anything that they shouted. The soldiers all seemed to forget that he was their prince, as they mobbed him relentlessly, until Monar yelled an order. He managed to get his men in line, and they made way for him and Alban to pass through their ranks. The general offered Alban his horse, and told him to hasten to the castle at once.

“I don’t know if what you say is true,” Monar said, “but, if it is, you had better tell the king at once. I will give the order that no-one is to attack the giant, as long as she remains where she is. Alban,” the old man paused and shook his head, “Alban, I’ve always loved you, you know that, and I would support you in anything you did, but this…”

“It’s all right, uncle. I haven’t gone mad, and I’m not trying to make a fool of you or anyone. I was wary of Valerie – that’s her name – at first, but I have gotten to know her well over the last few days, and more and more I began to feel that she was the girl I wanted to live with, to be by my side, even if she is so much bigger than any of us. She is not our enemy, and if neither you nor my father accept her, then I’ll leave with her, whether you wish me to or not.”


He rode off towards the city, and the general watched him go, completely dumbfounded by what he’d just heard. He couldn’t imagine that any man, much less a warrior like Alban, would want to live with a woman the size of a battleship. But, he had to admit, she was very beautiful, at least from this safe distance. He headed back to his soldiers, and hoped that they wouldn’t end up having to battle the prince’s girlfriend.