- Text Size +

She was the youngest child of King Valgar IV, ruler of Vandan. Her elder brother had been the heir to the throne. Of all her family, indeed of all the giants, she alone had enjoyed the company of humans. While her brother liked to torture and even kill human captives, she could not bring herself to hurt the little people, no matter how hard her parents punished her for her ‘abnormal’ compassion. Eventually, just before her nineteenth birthday, her father had disowned her, and he decided to punish her for life. He asked his warlock, who’s knowledge of sorcery was great, to reduce her to human size, so that she may be treated as one of those she seemed to care for so much.

She was to be given to her brother, who no doubt savoured the idea of having his weak and pathetic little sister as his tiny slave. But the warlock, though he hated humans just as much as any giant, did not think Valerie deserved such an awful fate. He shrunk her, just as he had promised, but he also cast a charm on her. This charm made her fall into a deep sleep, during which nothing and nobody could harm her. She would not age, but would remain immaculate, until the day when someone who truly loved her came and broke the charm.

It has been five hundred years since the day she fell asleep, and her family were long gone. Her people had all either died or wandered away, and the castle was, except for her, empty. She wandered dazedly through the rooms, recognizing them all. Her own room, through some kind of magic (perhaps also the warlock’s doing), was, however, still in a perfect state. Her bed seemed just as comfortable as it had been when she last slept there. All her clothes looked as if they had been washed only yesterday. There was even a jug of clean water for her to drink, and the fruit in the golden bowl by her bedside tasted as fresh and sweet as any she could remember.

After she had eaten, bathed, and rested for a bit, her thoughts returned to the strange little human who’d claimed he’d released her. More and more she began to think that, maybe, he hadn’t been lying after all. And that meant that he…

“Could it really be?” she wondered. “Is the man I am destined to fall in love with…a human? I could always ignore the warlock’s words…but then, what else is there for me? I certainly don’t want to spend the rest of my life alone. And besides, I really don’t have much in common with my own people. Perhaps I should talk to the human again, get to him better…who knows? In any case, I have to find him first. He’s probably miles away by now.”

She set off immediately, taking with her a bottle of water and a large sack containing fruit and bread. Since she’d been a princess, her family had expected her to remain in the castle her whole life, and not venture outdoors much, if at all. This meant she didn’t really have any clothes suitable for travelling, so she set off in her royal gown and satin slippers. At least people would know who she was, or so she hoped.

The entrance to the castle was in ruins, and everywhere there lay the bodies of men and goblins. Valerie felt aghast at seeing this, but she kept on going. She was a Vandanian, of the most mighty race that ever existed; she need not be afraid of anything, man or beast. Still, the outdoors was a new experience for her, and she felt she had to remain wary. Around the castle, the giant trees of the forest had grown wild and thick, and, as the sun was low in the western sky, she felt she couldn’t go much further right now. After a few hundred yards (giant yards, of course), she found a suitably comfortable spot under a tree, and tried to go to sleep. She was determined to be up very early the next morning

Alban and his companions, after running as fast as they could towards the castle entrance, had quickly mounted their horses and set off into the forest. The horses of their three fallen comrades they’d set free. Alban had also taken the sword of Lirdon, one of his slain friends, since his own sword had been thrown away by the giantess. He no longer wished to continue exploring the castle: in his opinion, all giants, no matter who they were, were fiendish monsters. He had never heard of a sympathetic giant before, and he was fairly certain that this one, fair maiden though she was, was just as bloodthirsty as the giants he’d heard of in stories.

They rode all evening, and through most of the night, stopping to rest only a few hours before dawn. In this part of the world the trees and grass were as enormous as the former inhabitants, and finding a path for their horses wasn’t easy. Eventually they decided to make their camp under a relatively small bush, making sure there was nothing hiding in it first. They built a fire, cooked some of the meat from their provisions, and discussed what was to be done next.

“I say we head back to Elgon with all haste,” said Turas. “It’s a sure thing that she…that monster, I mean, will come after us. Giants are fond of eating men, or so I’ve heard told.”

“So have I,” Alban agreed. “Still, I reckon we’ll be safe for tonight. It’s just a girl, after all. Whoever heard of a female giant pursuing and attacking men before? It’s always been the male ones I’ve heard doing the killing.”

“Well, I still think we’d better get going as soon as possible,” Turas said. “I don’t wish to be disrespectful, sire, but I’m hoping you’ll listen to my advice this time.”

“Very well. We’ll rest a few hours, then resume our journey.”

Shardon, the young squire, remained silent. This was his first adventure outside his land, and he didn’t really want to have any more. But he was in the prince’s employ now, and he vowed to do what his master wished of him.

Prince Alban awoke with a start the next morning. The sun was already a considerable height in the sky; they had all overslept, and he hoped that no ill would come of it. He wakened the others, and they hastily gathered their belongings. There was no time for breakfast; they would have to eat while riding. Alban crept through the tangle of twigs and leaves of their shelter. Their horses had been tied to a twig outside the bush, it being impossible for them to lead the beasts into this dense shrubbery. But, this morning, the horses were gone. Alban was shocked, but he quickly saw the reason for their disappearance, and his heart nearly stopped.

The giantess had caught up with them. She was sitting right there, at that moment, still wearing her royal clothes, and eating an enormous pear. And she was looking straight at him, smiling. He turned around at once and rushed back, bumping into Turas and making them both fall over.

“Back! Now!” he yelled. “It’s her – the giant! Hide!”

He had scarcely finished his words when the shadows around him vanished, and bright light fell upon them. Two colossal hands parted the twigs of the bush far above them, and a gigantic girl’s face peered down at them from above. They stood rooted to the spot, hands resting upon their sword-hilts. The giantess reached down with her hand and easily caught the two of them. Shardon, who was standing some distance away, was trembling greatly; suddenly, he felt very weak, and collapsed to his knees. The princess saw him, and picked him up too. She put him in her right hand, next to the others.

Then she stood up to her full height, holding her hand before her. Alban rose shakily to his feet and drew his sword. He could see the ground almost forty yards below him, and knew that it was over. But if he had to die, he wouldn’t die without a struggle. He raised his sword and thrust it with all his strength into the flesh of her hand.

“Ow!” Valerie cried. The sword had gone in deep, and it stung. “That wasn’t very nice! I’m not your enemy, you know!” She took the sword out and dropped it on the ground. Then she eyed Turas, who was about to do the same. He thought better of it, however, and put his sword back in its sheath.

“That’s right,” she said. “I’m not going to hurt you, and I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t try to attack me in return. Now, how about a proper introduction? You all left so quickly yesterday that I barely even saw you.”

“Our names are none of your business, giant!” Alban yelled. “If you wish to kill us, do it now, and spare us from having to hear your wicked voice!”

Valerie looked shocked for a second, then began to giggle uncontrollably.

“What?” the prince boomed furiously. “What are you laughing at?”

“Oh my!” she gasped, struggling to control her mirth. “You just look so comical, standing there in my hand, fists clenched…I bet you’re quite the warrior, aren’t you? But you don’t have to fight me, little one; this giant won’t bite! I promise!”

Alban sat down, defeated. He resigned himself to the situation, and so did the others. Shardon was looking extremely pale; no doubt he was more affected than Turas and himself, being so inexperienced and all. The giantess gave them an amused look.

“Well?” she said. “Aren’t you going to tell me your names?”

“I am Prince Alban, son of King Mildar of Elgon, and these are my companions: Turas, head of my bodyguard, and my squire, Shardon. We were on an expedition into these lands, when we…”

“When you found me, and rescued me. A prince, did you say? Oh, how delightful! Now I am certain that you and I belong together! A handsome, courageous prince has awakened me, his great love for me has overcame the warlock’s curse, and…”

“Wait, wait, wait!” Alban interjected. “Are you…are you out of your mind? Do you seriously think I’m…in love with you? Hah! Me, in love with a giant…thing like you? You must be mad!”

“But, the kiss…” Valerie said, looking really surprised. “You…you kissed me, and it broke the spell! That must mean that you love me, otherwise I wouldn’t have awoken! And I’m not some ‘giant thing’! I’m a person, just like you, even if I am slightly bigger.”

“Slightly! You’re a damned mountain! Even the largest, fattest, most hideous ogre is tiny compared to you! And you think we ‘belong together’! How moronic, but I suppose that’s how you women think. Maybe your men are more sensible…”

“Enough!” she yelled, and he froze. Her hand had tightened, and her fingers curled above them like monstrous claws. Shardon took one look at her enraged face, and almost fainted. She managed to control herself, though, and, without a word, put them down on the ground far below. They looked up at her vast figure, ad saw how easy it was for her to crush them all with one small step.

“I was wrong!” she said, glaring down at them. “You’re not my ‘true love’ after all! You’re just a stupid, small-brained human who thinks far too much of himself. If I were any other giant, I’d squish the three of you right here and now. But I won’t – in fact, I used to have a high opinion of your kind, but now I see that you are no better than that callous and heartless race to which I’m ashamed to belong.”

She reached into her sack and took out a small object, which she laid at the human’s feet. It was a four-foot-long strawberry, red and ripe, one of many she’d brought along as food. The men stared at it in wonder.

“That’s just to show that I’m still willing to be your friend,” she said. “Besides, I feel I need to give you something, to make up for frightening away your horses. Of course, you could always travel with me, but I suppose you find me too repugnant to be near to, so I’ll be off, and you’ll be free from my detestable presence.”

She turned around and began to walk away. Alban and the others were still rooted to the spot. The prince looked at the oversized fruit lying before him. There was no way any of them would be able to carry it, not without their horses. Their horses…without them, they were as good as lost. It had taken weeks to ride this far – who knew how long it would take to walk back, especially now that they had to carry all their provisions by themselves? Alban looked down dejectedly, and wondered if he’d just made a very big mistake. Just then he heard Shardon’s voice behind him.

“Excuse me, sire, but shouldn’t we…go after her?  I mean, I know she’s a giant, and I…well, I am a bit frightened of her, but she…she sounded sincere, or so I thought. Maybe…maybe it’s not too late…”

“He’s right,” Turas added. “Giants are a cruel, inhuman lot, but there are many men who are like that as well. Likewise, it would seem that there are giants who are friendly to common men, and that this one, girl, princess, whatever – I think she’s one of the friendly ones.”

“Maybe,” Alban said. “But to be carried back home, like helpless babies, by a maiden – what would my father, and the people of my kingdom think? No, we’ll head back on our own, in a manner as befits a prince and his warriors. Besides, she must be far off by now – you saw how fast she walked – and chasing after her would be a waste of energy. Come, gather your belongings: we’re walking back, right now.”

“If I may speak freely, sire, I think you’re making a mistake.”

“Thank you, Turas. I’ll remember those words, once we’re back in Elgon. I think it’ll be quite apparent then that you were the one who was mistaken. Now come on! It’s nearly noon, and the road ahead is long.”